Atari Jaguar High Score Club Revamped ROUND 3: RAIDEN!
Now that this is over, feel free to head over to the new round for some Breakout 2000!
Final high scores for RAIDEN:
Austin - 4,737,970 +11pts
The_Laird - 1,830,350 +10pts
Boog - 463,450 +9pts
Kgenthe - 230,600 +8pts
Orpheuswaking - 161,280 +7pts
Gaztee - 98,720 +6pts
Kevincal - 367,440 +1 participation point (Score submitted November 2010)
GKC - 187,630 +1 participation point (Score submitted November 2010)
The Jaguar HSC rankings as of Round 3's end:
1. Austin - 31pts
2. Boog - 23pts
3. The_Laird - 21pts
4. orpheuswaking - 21pts
5. Hyper_Eye - 20pts
6. Kgenthe - 19pts
7. Tyrant - 8pts
8. Lexlothar - 7pts
9. Gaztee - 6pts
All right.. For the third round of the new Jaguar HSC, we have.. RAIDEN! The competition officially starts on Sunday, August 15th, 2010, and the final time to get your scores in will be two weeks from then, on Sunday, September 12th, 2010.
HOW TO PLAY:
Play a game on the 2 credits setting and play until you run out of credits. In this mode, you use one credit to play, so you only have one continue available to you. Submit your score when done.. How many times can you loop the game?
If you are not familiar with the new Jaguar HSC general rules and how the scoring system works, please visit this thread here: http://www.atariage....pdated-7242010/
It is recommended that you take a photo of your score, but it is not required. We go on good faith here, so please be honest..
Some tips to keep in mind before you get started!
- Pick up as many medal icons as you can and use as little amount of bombs as possible. After completing a stage, a score for all of your medals is multiplied by the amount of bombs you have on-hand.. The more medals and bombs you have by the end of each level, the greater bonus you get.
- The Jaguar version of Raiden has an odd firing system compared to the arcade game. No matter how fast you mash the fire button, your shots will only come out at a specific speed (not nearly as fast as you can possibly mash). Don't wear out your thumb by slamming the fire button as quickly as you can--there's no point, it won't do you any good! Learn to figure out the timing between shots, and simply press the fire button at that timing.. This will keep your trigger-finger from wearing out. You're going to need it if you can loop the game two or three times!
- Like the arcade game, the screen scrolls to the left and right. It should be of note that enemies outside your field of view will not shoot at you. This includes enemies sitting behind the status bar on the right.
- The weapons in this version are ridiculously overpowered compared to the original arcade game. This includes the red spread-shot option that was notoriously weak from a distance in the original arcade game. With its added power in the Jaguar version, it's probably wise to be using it at all times, especially as enemy patterns speed up after looping the game once or twice.
- If you are unfamiliar with the game and are looking to simply survive, it can be best to hug the walls on some stages (Stage 3 in particular, as well as the first space stage). With this tactic, you can guarantee most enemies will not be coming out from at least one side of the screen, so there is less action to worry about.
- Max out your weapons as quickly as possible, and don't switch. When you're at full power and you pick up a shot or missile power-up, you will be granted 5,000 points. Stages are littered with power-ups, so these bonus points add up quickly.
- Like the past two Jaguar HSC games, this is one that saves your high scores, convenient for those that may need to snag a photo of their score at a later time.
For anyone that does not own this game but would like to get involved with this, it is one of the few Jaguar games that is emulated well, so feel free to jump in on this if you do not own a copy of Raiden (or a Jaguar)!
Anyways, let's get this one rolling! Have fun!