IGNORED

Free sprites for the taking

PAC-MAN-RED

post-26314-0-67768000-1310702392_thumb.png

In reply to a previous post - Challenge Accepted.. Heh. :D

Since the MegaMan 2600 Demo was created by djmips and uses the sprites that he made, I've decided to start from scratch(well... sort of). As stated in the aforementioned thread, there was some concern with the overall amount of memory in the ROM being taken by the graphics data - I'm hoping to try to reduce this a bit and still have things looking good. :)

Here is a NES / Atari 2600 comparison. MegaMan is 11W x 18H (for reference - djmips' is 13W x 16H):

post-26314-0-77354700-1310703405_thumb.png

And an animation of MegaMan blinking his eyes as he stands still:

post-26314-0-43760900-1310702417_thumb.gif

MegaMan Still Frames.zip

Well I've had my MegaMan fill for the day.. There will be more coming soon. :)

Illya

You rock. Nice job on those.

-B

• Like 1

Nice sprites dude.

You should start to code something. :)

Thank you. :) I wish I could code something more complicated than a "Hello World" across the screen, but that's about all I can do really. lol So I shifted my focus to just making sprites for the fine people at AtariAge(and the googlebots that come here :D). :thumbsup:

Illya

Great work.

I know there's not a lot of room for his arms, but in the get hit frame, I think they could be moved up a bit more. At least push out the elbows a little.

I agree with you there. My design was based more closely to djmips' version. Without changing his arms color - How's this?

post-26314-0-53016900-1311028259_thumb.png

Illya

Edited by PAC-MAN-RED
  • Like 1

And now for something completely different... well almost(In fact I'm quite sure there's a dancing MegaMan sprite around here somewhere). :D

It's related to the Atari 2600, and it was brought on by the fact that if MegaMan were to be on the 2600 it would definitely need controls that would allow for awesome gameplay. So I did what everyone else does... hack a Sega Genesis controller to give me 3 button support(Some 'Assembly' required). 2 soldered wires, 3 cuts, and one solder bridge to join 2 traces together and in approx. 10 mins, you're done. I call it... The MegaMan Mod.

Heck, something like this could have even been done before, but I looked and couldn't find it. :P And I bet that some one smarter than me could get 4 buttons working. I'll explain further, but first the pic:

post-26314-0-03929000-1311040852_thumb.jpg

The first 2 buttons, Fire(B) and Jump(A), are in the NES configuration with the ALT-button replacing the C-Button. B-Button is the original 2600 fire button, A-Button is UP on the 2600 Joystick, and the ALT-Button is DOWN on the 2600 Joystick. In the case of MegaMan, the Down direction is only used on the ladders and therefore the ALT-Button could serve as the Pause/Inventory - more on this later. The ALT-Button also provides one combo button press, impossible through normal means, UP + DOWN together. :o Which might be programmable in Batari Basic or maybe assembly? In any case, I hope it's viable.

The Ladder Theory:

MegaMan needs to climb ladders in the NES version, and I'd imagine he'd do the same in the 2600 version. Just thinking out loud :):

- Since Up on the Joystick is still Jump, MegaMan would have to be programmed so that when he is on or near the bottom of a ladder he would climb it instead of just jumping.

- Since the ALT-Button is also Down on the Joystick, and if it's being used as the Pause/Inventory, MegaMan would have to programmed so that when he is on or near the top of a ladder he will climb down it instead of getting the Pause/Inventory screen.

Here's a list of games that use UP as Jump and will work immediately with this mod:

Moon Patrol

Sorcerer(Mythicon)

Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle

Frogs & Flies - I tested this one myself and oddly enough it supports all 3 buttons!

Kung Fu Master

Kangaroo

Swordquest: Earthworld

I'm sure there's more, but this was all I could find.

Illya

PS - Started a new thread over here.

Edited by PAC-MAN-RED
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Amazing. Your stuff never disappoints.

-B

Thank you, and right back atcha Brian :thumbsup: :)

Yay!

:lol:

ElecMan has lost a little pixel weight from his original incarnation to the 2600 and is now much closer to MegaMans height and width. Looks like CutMan is next to be "cut" from the list :grin: ... *runs* *dodges tomatoes*

Illya

• Like 1

post-26314-0-31901000-1312762383_thumb.png

post-26314-0-91708100-1312762406_thumb.png

CutMan Frames.zip

And remember kids if anyone tells you that you can't do something *WARNING Expletive ahead* - In the immortal words of Rambo

Yes, explosions are optional, and I blame YouTube for not only it's inability to censor violence and nudity, but it's ability to allow people to share ideas and information for, albeit, even a short period of time. So while it lasts, keep your seat belt on, and enjoy the ride. ;)

Illya

Edited by PAC-MAN-RED
  • Like 2

Cool stuff! Kinda neat to see "what could have been".

I like to see it as, "what should have been". It might take a much larger ROM and extra support ICs but, one day we may look back and say, Why didn't we try this sooner? It's from the idea that we can grow and accomplish great things. :)

BombMan is nearly complete and will be added soon. :thumbsup:

Illya

• Like 1

Awesome, Pac Man Red. Your work inspires me to fire up the editor and build my 2600 sprites.

Right on. :thumbsup: :) Use anything in this thread you wish, as it is as the name states, they are all free. And if you feel like sharing your creations, then you are more than welcome to post them here.

Illya

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...