IGNORED

"Dungeon Monster" game on the way

Kaz atarionline.pl

Whilst I agree Harvey we have to take in to account that sometimes and I do mean in rare occasions the nit picking and comments come from the developer, I just want to get to a point where we all play on the same field and the respect comes both ways. Pete recently added me to test a product which considering our past 'chats' would have seemed a very unlikely case and I was honoured but because it needed some hardware I didn't have I had to decline politely. I just think we all could think first and talk second but sometimes both sides get rubbed up the wrong way and we have a grump.

I for one want to see new stuff and I don't really care about how it comes, that's down to the dev and pricing, I'm not really a box person but some are but at the end of the day its what the dev has the time and ability to do, they are the boss, we may not always like the choices but its not us making the game so we should live with the choice, suggestions should be just that and if they don't happen the suck it up and move on.

Paul..

Can't say as I blame you. I've been pretty annoyed at some of the new game threads here, where someone releases (often for free) a new game and then it results in 5 pages of people nitpicking. That's pretty much a motivation killer, you know? People do this in their spare time, and you learn as you go, and very often your game will not be perfect (very few games were, even back in the 80s). If someone takes the time to make a playable game 40 years after a system's release... that's dedication. If you don't like it, don't play it.

People need to learn to say 'thanks!' and keep their negativity to themselves unless one of two things happens: 1. the programmer asks for feedback, beta testing etc. or 2. A paid product is not as advertised or broken in some way.

I released "Secretum Labyrinth Kings Gold" as a free game to promote the other games in the series and so others can help spot any imperfections. I got complaints about the little random graphics that periodically popped up when the NMI and DMA had to be disabled going from one room to another. Something that happened 1 out of 25 times and was only there for 1/60th of a second. Like don't blink or else you will miss that one. I since then added a flag that disables the NMA/DMA on the last DLI. The other one was when someone complained about some of the pop up texts that was also fixed.

This first comment is 'spot-on' - in that nitpickers may actually turn off some people from releasing their work here. The amount of time invested in finishing a project can be substantial. I personally don't want people to self censor their comments - as people should feel free to comment what they like to.

Of course - I don't expect everyone to agree. It is all too easy for some people to get the wrong impression by comment as such - when there was not the intention to be negative or condescending/etc...

Harvey

I discovered the best thing for the developer to do is just stop responding to any nitpicking, you are just throwing more fuel onto the fire in a flaming war. Sometimes, the same people will pop in on other threads like this one where I was talking something totally unrelated. I was looking into the ideal of using the routines from programs like Dungeon Monsters that generate the 3D dungeon view for games with more like Advance Dungeons and Dragons features. Then I suddenly got something posted about Sal. When I asked if developers of Dungeon Monsters required any compensation in the form of royalties from the sales of the combined project, there was something about packaging of my prior work. What does that have to do with this ideal of developing AD&D type games on the Atari? I therefore decided not to move forward with the ideal.

Please don't associate my kind suggestion with the discussions you had in the past with other people.

I always support programmers, I buy homebrews (I have your Tempest Xtreem, one day I'll buy Venture and Tempest Elite too).

I only kindly suggested a nice box for future productions.

Not a complain, not an issue, only an advice.

You don't think it would increase sales?

No problems! Case closed. What's the problem?

I don't see why to be angry with me.

• Like 1

Please don't associate my kind suggestion with the discussions you had in the past with other people.

I always support programmers, I buy homebrews (I have your Tempest Xtreem, one day I'll buy Venture and Tempest Elite too).

I only kindly suggested a nice box for future productions.

Not a complain, not an issue, only an advice.

You don't think it would increase sales?

No problems! Case closed. What's the problem?

I don't see why to be angry with me.

I am not angry with you, it is that you should post anything relating to how Video61 packages stuff on the Venture, Tempest, Laser Blast X, or game threads that I had done in the past. This Dungeon Monster RPG or 3D AD&D thing is something I had been looking to put together along with some help from others.

I am not angry with you, it is that you should post anything relating to how Video61 packages stuff on the Venture, Tempest, Laser Blast X, or game threads that I had done in the past. This Dungeon Monster RPG or 3D AD&D thing is something I had been looking to put together along with some help from others.

I can understand why you are frustrated. In order to reduce off-topic comments from your very specific goal, I think you should have a generic message post for reference to gently remind folks from time to time that you want a very specific goal-based thread than an informal, wandering chat thread. Your goal is more specific and longer-term than most here. Otherwise, they will assume its okay to talk about anything related to the game or you. Most of the longer threads on the forum naturally become informal and wander and, generally, it's not a problem. That way, people know you're not here to just converse about this or that or video game history and you are not a spokesperson for the final product, only the programming. That would make it feel less personal to them than individualizing a specific person's comments and them having a prolonged discussions about what they did to annoy you. Kind of a post like the sticky about unsolicited game requests in the Homebrew section. No one knows it annoys programmers until they are referred to read it. Maybe, have a moderator stick it in the first post. Just trying to help simplify your work.

Now that I look, it looks like you came in around post #39 of a more general thread. Maybe start a specific thread with a post explaining you don't want to chat in the first post, otherwise it will not be clear to folks you are here to just talk programming business.

I might as well throw in some comment regarding packaging for games.

That if it's not provided for the collector - then the collector ought to be able to do it for themselves.

You can buy boxes - or simply re-use some old ones - and stick new covers/etc onto them.

Printers are so cheap these days - and it's not hard to stick printouts onto boxes - just use PVA glue and

use anything of a cylinder shape or a bottle to roll out the air bubbles.

You could become so good at it - your whole collection can be as cool as you want it to be.

Harvey

I am actually looking into the ideal of doing something like the SSI Gold Series Advance Dungeons & Dragons or Uukrul type game on the Atari 8-bit. Asked in a separate thread if anything had been done already like this on the Atari 8-bit already. Many know what I can do and that I complete much of what I had started and put it up for sale on cartridge. I also try to fill holes in the Atari 8-bit library, and I might had found a big one, there is not much involving really big Adventure type games or turned base D&D style.

I have an ideal for a character display, single or party. Since the 8-bit can combine bitmap modes with text modes, we can make a text line with character names with a graphics mode line above for a hitpoint/health meter. Display 4 characters across as long as each name is limited to 9 letters.

Now these ideals are hypothetical, along with building something on top of the Dungeon Monsters code. I never really came in to promote anything I had done previously, only mentioned prior games as reference or maybe use pieces of code to cut down development time, I am not concern about packaging, manuals, labels, or if the game will be available for free or digital download for software that does not exist yet. I am sure Vega and Tezz are busy with programming Dungeon Monsters and won't concern themselves that stuff until completion, and it be up to them how they want to sale, distribute, and if they want any profit from it.

Edited by peteym5

• 1 year later...