IGNORED

Playstation -> 5200 adapter thread

hex65000

Sorry- there's no USB to db15 joystick adapter for the 5200. There is a PC 15 pin to Atari 5200 15 pin controller adapter, though. Atariage member, bohoki, makes these and they're very effective.

Here's my video showing a couple adapters (one made by Atariage member, Atariguy1021) put into use for PlayStation controller compatibility on the 5200. With this setup you'll get digital results- not analog:

Edited by ave1

PSX analog thumb sticks are great for pacman, missle command, pole position, etc. A masterplay clone goes into the 5200. And then a tototek megadrive to psx adapter goes into the masterplay clone. Analog and digital both work.

Try it on Missile Command and you'll see that the cursor is only giving you digital responses with that setup. It'd be nice if it was analog, but unfortunately it isn't. Surprisingly, the game Centipede works pretty well when played with those adapters, though. :)

Now if you want to play the analog games like Tempest, Missile Command, and Super Breakout with PlayStation thumbsticks, you can use the PC 15 pin to Atari 5200 15 pin controller adapter along with a Smartjoy Emulator Adapter (PS2 to PC 15 pin controller adapter), and your analog game results will be pretty good. Well, it depends on which PlayStation controller you choose to use. My favorites are the Barracuda gamepad and Eaglemax analog Joystick. You'll get Centipede to have slow and fast motion with everything set up this way, as opposed to only fast motion when the digital-only adapters are used. The Namco NeGcon also provides really awesome control on Pole Position and Super Breakout.

Edited by ave1

Try it on Missile Command and you'll see that the cursor is only giving you digital responses with that setup. It'd be nice if it was analog, but unfortunately it isn't. Surprisingly, the game Centipede works pretty well when played with those adapters, though. :)

Now if you want to play the analog games like Tempest, Missile Command, and Super Breakout with PlayStation thumbsticks, you can use the PC 15 pin to Atari 5200 15 pin controller adapter along with a Smartjoy Emulator Adapter (PS2 to PC 15 pin controller adapter), and your analog game results will be pretty good. Well, it depends on which PlayStation controller you choose to use. My favorites are the Barracuda gamepad and Eaglemax analog Joystick. You'll get Centipede to have slow and fast motion with everything set up this way, as opposed to only fast motion when the digital-only adapters are used. The Namco NeGcon also provides really awesome control on Pole Position and Super Breakout.

It is analog for me.

Must be some difference in one of your adapters compared to mine. Did Atariguy1021 make your Masterplay Clone?

Well maybe not full analog. But dpad goes up, down, left right. And thumbsticks go allaround. But bohoki pc adapter and pc raider is much smotther and full analog. My masterplay clone is a early model by LOW_BUDGET from ebay.

Well maybe not full analog. But dpad goes up, down, left right. And thumbsticks go allaround. But bohoki pc adapter and pc raider is much smotther and full analog. My masterplay clone is a early model by LOW_BUDGET from ebay.

I think you're defining "analog" and "digital" a bit differently than me. Regardless of that, I agree with you that bohoki's PC 15 pin to Atari 5200 adapter can make those PC controllers really rock with extra smooth analog control. The difference is most notable on Missile Command and Super Breakout. I'll have to keep my eyes out for a PC Raider :)

I think you're defining "analog" and "digital" a bit differently than me. Regardless of that, I agree with you that bohoki's PC 15 pin to Atari 5200 adapter can make those PC controllers really rock with extra smooth analog control. The difference is most notable on Missile Command and Super Breakout. I'll have to keep my eyes out for a PC Raider :)

Here is a good price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IBM-DOS-PC-RAIDER-Performance-Controlled-Pistol-grip-Joystick-NOS-15p/192415965398?hash=item2ccce2a0d6:g:HR8AAOSwBRFaS5jt

Also this would be cool to have. Just found this.

http://chriskempson.com/posts/nes-controller-to-famicom-adapter/

They used to sell these at amazon, they let you use an NES controller and light gun on a Famicom at the same time, although not two controllers, apparently. I don't know if they still sell them somewhere.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NHATUTW

Some members and I discuss building a double NES controller adapter for the Famicom in this thread. It looks fairly simple and I have the parts, but haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/267997-will-the-nes-console-play-famicom-titles-same-powerpad/?hl=nesfamicom

I got one of these G-Force Plus flight yolks fairly cheap. It works really well on Star Wars Arcade and other games and clamps to a table edge. It also has a lock for driving mode. BTW, it scores low on functionality because it only has the four fire buttons, rather than the ten buttons some had, but all you need is two at most. You can also swap finger triggers and thumb buttons, depending on your preference.

http://www.combatsim.com/htm/aug99/suncom-yoke.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Actually isn't fighting centering resistance in certain games eithwer tiring or throwing off your shots. For most games I know of that use the 5200 controller in an analog manner, the non-self-centering because these games convey absolute position of the cursor, not relative direction of the cursor? Star Wars looks harder when self centered.

I'm more interested in these converters for my digital games, meaning something that works with a fight stick. So you're saying a Masterplay Clone will do keypad and 2 button games. By the way, does Genesis A map to top or bottom, and B to the other one, and hopefully C can be a programmable third keypad button like for hyperspace in Defender,

Where can I order a Master Play Clone? If I post again, I'll give an answer in 5 minutes, I'll search Atari Age