IGNORED

CP/M on 130XE?

ruthven

Anybody have any experience using CP/M on an XL or XE computer? I'm assuming it's possible... I have a special OS built into my 130XE (Omniview XE) that has a terminal mode called "ATRMON" designed to be used with the ATR8000 serial interface. According to the documentation, this mode gets the system/drive ready for a CP/M system disk. I know that on the C128 you need a Commodore-specific CP/M boot disk before you can run any other CP/M software. So I'm wondering if there is some Atari-specific CP/M boot system that I'd need before I could run other CP/M programs? Or do you suppose that my 130XE is already booted in a CP/M environment/OS when I enter ATRMON--and hence ready to start accessing CP/M disks?

AFAIK the only other method of running CP/M is on the Indus GT disk drive, so in both cases the Atari itself is just acting as a terminal.

In this day and age, it's kinda pointless beyond being a novelty - if there was any value in it I think someone would have bothered to write a PC-side emulator that could run the code and interface with the real Atari via SIO2PC or APE.

On that note, some people are still begging for an XEP80 emulator and I think it would be a much more worthwhile project.

• Like 1

In this day and age, it's kinda pointless beyond being a novelty - if there was any value in it I think someone would have bothered to write a PC-side emulator that could run the code and interface with the real Atari via SIO2PC or APE.

That or you have some old CP/M data files you need to grab off a disk. I can't think of any CP/M only program that hasn't been ported long ago. The only use I've found for CP/M (other than confusing people who think it's DOS) is for playing Infocom text adventures on odd systems like the Coleco ADAM.

Tempest

• Like 1

the ATR-8000 could also run MS-DOS with the CO-Power 88 option board, was a nice piece of hardware. I used an ATR-8000 as my drives for amny years, and still have it, also have a second one, i picked up not too long ago... my original one i bought from a place that did CP/M development, and used several of them with terminals, they told me that used them since it was the cheapest way to get a decent CP/M machine...

i was looking at CP/M machine prices around, and they are requiring a good chunk of change, was considering selling my second ATR-8000, but havnt decided yet...

sloopy.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize the Z80 was required to run CP/M in general. I guess the C128 has a Z80 coprocesser which is how I am able to access CP/M disks on that machine. Specifically, I was trying to recreate a piece of software that controls an old synthesizer. This software has never been ported from it's original Kaypro II format. I managed to find the raw files on the net and get them into C128 CP/M format. From here I can use C128 software to write a Kaypro II CP/M disk of these files.

But what was really cool was that I found I could just run this software straight up on the C128. Only problem is I'm stuck in 40 columns with my current C128 setup... So I was thinking it would be cool if I could get it running on the 130XE (another feature of Omniview XE is built-in 80 col mode). I guess this would be possible if I had the ATR8000, which I would need anyway for the COM port to control the synth.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize the Z80 was required to run CP/M in general. I guess the C128 has a Z80 coprocesser which is how I am able to access CP/M disks on that machine. Specifically, I was trying to recreate a piece of software that controls an old synthesizer. This software has never been ported from it's original Kaypro II format. I managed to find the raw files on the net and get them into C128 CP/M format. From here I can use C128 software to write a Kaypro II CP/M disk of these files.

But what was really cool was that I found I could just run this software straight up on the C128. Only problem is I'm stuck in 40 columns with my current C128 setup... So I was thinking it would be cool if I could get it running on the 130XE (another feature of Omniview XE is built-in 80 col mode). I guess this would be possible if I had the ATR8000, which I would need anyway for the COM port to control the synth.

probly better off getting 80 columns on you C128 running... and yes C128's have a Z80, it actually controls the machine on first cold start, and then transfers control to the 8501...

my second ATR-8000 could probly be pried from my fingers for a decent sum, but the first one would require some serious bread as its the uncommon black one.... but an offer of trade for a ICD MIO, would get one in a heartbeat...

sloopy.

Rybags,

When you are talking about a XEP80 emulator, are you talking about one being part of a Atari emulator (in which case Atari800 and Atari800MacX already have that), or are you talking about a hardware interface and "terminal" program on the PC, that would allow a real Atari to output to it?

Mark

What, I can't edit my post? ARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH AGAIN.

Anyway...

The function of a Z80 chip is to execute Z80 machine language. A floppy disk is not Z80 machine language. The reason the C128 can access CP/M disks is because the 1571 drive was designed to be able to read and write CP/M sector formatting (properly speaking, MFM-formatted disks). The copy of CP/M running on the C128 then interprets this raw sector data as the CP/M file structure. This task could be done just as well by any program running on any family of microprocessor. The only requirement is that the program understands the file structure.

• Like 2

AFAIK the only other method of running CP/M is on the Indus GT disk drive, so in both cases the Atari itself is just acting as a terminal.

On that note, some people are still begging for an XEP80 emulator and I think it would be a much more worthwhile project.

ATR8000 also has a Z-80 in it.