DEVICE JIFFY
DEVICE RAMDISK
DEVICE COMEX

MEM:
Main: $14B2,$14B2
Ext:  $7BA3,$7BA3
Use: BANKED
4 banks free

It does not matter whether I use 320K, 576K or 1088K configuration. OS = Stock XL/XE os.

Thanks for your help!

Marius

Can you paste your CONFIG.SYS verbatim into a post here? Also quote the results of the MEM command.

I posted the results in my post above this one.

I presume it does not matter that I load this config.sys from a floppy (sio) disk? I don't know (yet) how to modify the CAR: in the Ultimate 1MB upgrade, and I first wanted to give the myide.sys a small try.

"DEVICE SPARTA BANKED" is something I haven't seen before. AFAIK, the only argument SPARTA.SYS takes is "OSRAM", which tells the driver to use $C000-$CFFF for sector buffers following a "USE OSRAM" statement. It may do no harm to have it there, but I think you can remove "BANKED" from the "DEVICE SPARTA" line.

Other than that, I see a lot of drivers, and MEMLO is at a point where the "X" command (which is resident while the target application is running) will push it beyond $2000, which is typically the safe upper limit. You don't need JIFFY.SYS and ULTIME.SYS installed at the same time: choose one or the other. INDUS.SYS may or may not be necessary for your needs.

I can confirm that I run a 1MB machine with RTC driver, AtariDOS driver, RAMdisk and keyboard buffer without issue. So my assumption is that there are slightly too many driver references in your CONFIG.SYS.

"DEVICE SPARTA BANKED" is something I haven't seen before. AFAIK, the only argument SPARTA.SYS takes is "OSRAM", which tells the driver to use $C000-$CFFF for sector buffers following a "USE OSRAM" statement. It may do no harm to have it there, but I think you can remove "BANKED" from the "DEVICE SPARTA" line.

Other than that, I see a lot of drivers, and MEMLO is at a point where the "X" command (which is resident while the target application is running) will push it beyond $2000, which is typically the safe upper limit. You don't need JIFFY.SYS and ULTIME.SYS installed at the same time: choose one or the other. INDUS.SYS may or may not be necessary for your needs.

I can confirm that I run a 1MB machine with RTC driver, AtariDOS driver, RAMdisk and keyboard buffer without issue. So my assumption is that there are slightly too many driver references in your CONFIG.SYS.

I saw DEVICE SPARTA BANKED in the manual. But I will take that away. I will test with less drivers. But one more thing:

Did you try bobterm? I can't get it running with this config. Without the myide driver it runs perfect.

Oh and more thing: the manual said that indus driver does not take memory, so I thought I wouldn't be a bad idea to keep it there?

I removed the 'banked' now from the sparta line.

I removed the jiffy thing, and I removed the indus. But mem is still giving same info.

Strange.

M.

I can see no mention of "DEVICE SPARTA BANKED" in the SDX manual or the MyIDE driver manual - perhaps you saw it in some erroneous older version of the driver documentation.

I've never tried Bobterm, so I can't really comment, other than by saying that if MEMLO ends up above $2000 after X is installed, not much will run.

You're correct about INDUS.SYS, but if you don't need it, you might as well get rid. If MEMLO hasn't dropped at all after removing drivers which DO consume RAM, surely something's not right.

I've just tested the latest SIDE driver (fundamentally the same as the most recent MyIDE driver) with the following CONFIG.SYS on a 1MB XE:

USE BANKED
DEVICE SPARTA
DEVICE SIO
DEVICE ATARIDOS
DEVICE ULTIME
DEVICE COMEXE
DEVICE RAMDISK
DEVICE SIDE

MEMLO is $145E and I can still run The Last Word with the "X" command. LW requires MEMLO to be no higher than $1FFF after X has loaded.