IGNORED

Which Vectrex Multicart?

spaceman

I'm not finding an order link on that page. How are you handling it, through email?

(Yes, I want to order one. Best Vectrex news in a decade, as far as I'm concerned.)

Me too. And I still don't even own a Vectrex.

Guess I'll have to start looking around online for one... any suggestions as to a reputable source?

Edited by Nathan Strum

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just Emailed an order, and Vectrex Mad I hope you got my thank you email for your amazing overlays, I hope you can make a complete set. :)

For what it's worth, I've been playing my Vectrex for almost 25 years without overlays. We got it the xmas of its release, and then the following summer all these games in Ziploc bags with manual and overlay but no box showed up in Acme Surplus (we lived in western Massachusetts, where Milton Bradley was, so a lot of their stuff showed up in surplus stores... Coleco too, I got a lot of spare CV controllers for a quarter each back in the day and some even worked). Then I went away to college and when I came back, all the stuff that had been in my desk had gotten packed away. My Vectrex was just a Minestorm machine, and stayed that way for 15 years until I got my first multicart. I never got around to searching the crawlspaces for them. My mom's gone now, and my stepdad is looking at selling their house, so we've been cleaning out the crawlspaces over the last year. They still haven't turned up, but almost my entire Odyssey2 collection did, as well as my dad's original Odyssey.

My Vectrex and Richard's multicart (and Sean Kelly's, and this one I got from a guy on ebay that requires you to choose games using jumpers) are here in my office now. I think from time to time about trying to make my own overlays using a color laser, transparency stock, masking tape and white spray paint (don't laugh, did an unrelated project that way 10 years ago and it came out great), or just ordering some from someone who makes them, but honestly, we almost never used the overlays "back in the day", just like we never bothered with those slide-in controller overlays on the Colecovision. I can always fire up MESS for the whole overlay experience, though emulation didn't have that "electron gun leaking into the speaker" sound last time I played them and an Xbox controller isn't quite a Vectrex controller.

So, still tempted, but I've been playing without them for my entire adult life. Knowing it would cost far more to make a whole set than it did to buy the multicart means I might never get around to buying them, but if someone ever finds a way to mass-produce them cheaply, I'll be all over it.

Edited by raindog

All I can say is that Vectrex Mad’s overlays are of superb quality, and to me worth it I don't like plying games without them . Some people like them and some don’t I believe even the programmers didn't like them.

Yeap, it has been reported that the original Vectrex game programmers weren't fond of screen overlays because the overlays were always produced after the games were completed and it often meant that the programmers had to go back to the finished games (which they had become used to seeing in black and white during the game development cycle) and re-program the position of the game graphics in order for a 1:1 match between game play and the graphics/colours on the overlay.

For Vectrex fans whether to use overlays or not is just personal taste. Personally, I believe some overlays do add value to the overall game experience. Good examples are Pole Position and Armour Attack. In the exceptional cases the overlays really do add the illusion of colour to the games e.g. Pole Position and Vectrexians. Most screen overlays for the Vectrex just give a single colour back drop with some pretty graphics on the border. However, even a single colour back drop on the original game overlays is still useful in itself. It can help to hide/subdue the fuzziness of the onscreen Vectors.

Also I feel a Vectrex looks a bit naked without an overlay - but again thats just personal taste.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

the easiest and cheapest one is vectrom 32 in 1. its on ebay quite a bit, and its 40 bucks. and its got 4 homebrews :D

Cheapest, definitely. Easiest, not unless it's a lot better than the DIP-switch-based version I bought before getting my Sean Kelly one.

(Which, in turn, was better than the jumper-based one I got first.)

I'd say Sean's (version 2) is the easiest to deal with, due to its nice menu, followed closely by Richard's after the initial setup. Richard's is my go-to cart because it's not frozen in time circa 2004.

Of course, all of this is moot if all that's for sale is the Vectrom or something similar.

Cheapest, definitely. Easiest, not unless it's a lot better than the DIP-switch-based version I bought before getting my Sean Kelly one.

(Which, in turn, was better than the jumper-based one I got first.)

I'd say Sean's (version 2) is the easiest to deal with, due to its nice menu, followed closely by Richard's after the initial setup. Richard's is my go-to cart because it's not frozen in time circa 2004.

Of course, all of this is moot if all that's for sale is the Vectrom or something similar.

i wish i had a sean kelly multicart, but they are hard to find and expensive...