IGNORED

Dragster by Activision Cert's

ToddRogers

Hello My fellow Gamers,

I'm glad to hear that there are a number of you out there still playing away at Dragster ..What I offer to players is once you've scored below 6.01 send me a screen shot, poloroid picture scanned or Emu snap shot and I will send you out a Dragster achievement certification with your name on it, your score time and the date you achieved the score . This is my way of keeping this wonderful game going.

To the thread about the "perfect" Dragster run, Activision programed an Emu of what they thought it would be and their computer had a time of 5.54 my time was of a 5.51. The only way I beat their time was to engage the clutch at the count down and rev up my engine in the red just before the count of ZERO. Once the timer reaches ZERO I pop my clutch and I'm already in second gear and also in the red but watch out for blowing up your engines. This technique I've given you will have a great difference in your time. It's better when you can race against someone who is good at the game so you can pick up tips on how to shift but I suggest when you go for a record timed base run you listen to your red line and race ALONE... I have personally ran a race of a 5.64 with only using my left hand ... My little finger for the gas and my thumb for the shifter. So, once you master the shifting sequence it will be a piece of cake. You then focus in on your end shifting the rythem of shifting is this. TAP,TAP .....TAP....TAP...TAP,TAP,TAP,TAP The first two short taps are for you to get to SECOND gear, you then wait till your RED line reaches 3/4 of the way to the end, then tap again you're now in THIRD gear repeat the same in listening and watching your RED line and tap again before it reaches 3/4's. You are now in FOURTH gear now the idea is to do a bunch of short wheelies to force your RED line almost to the end by tapping your joystick ..The trick is NOW TO LISTNEN to your RED line's pitch and playing this game over and over again will get you use to that sound just before it blows up. If I were playing against other players in person I could walk anyone under a 6.01 time .. Dont get discouraged about blowing up or the EARLY thing we all get it even me after thousands of tries.

I hope my little walk through has helped in your Dragster attempts.

Todd Mr.Activision Rogers

Hi was doing a tap tap on the first two gear and then tap for the third and tap for the last gear.....

now I will try it again tonight and I will tap tap tap tap on the last gear to see the difference

also I will rev up the engine before the start.

I hope the I will go down to the 5.7X

see you...

Well, I've had 5.64 for years now, but could never defeat Todd. I've done all these things, but my guess is that I've not reved up high enough at the start and gotten a perfect jump on the clock. I know my shifting is flawless!! :P Thanks for the hints for everyone Todd, they are really great! Go ahead and mail out my Certificate. ;)

Hi,

5:64 is super David! I just got a 5:81 today, my best ever so far  :P  

I'm new to this game though, just started to seriously play it last week.  

Take care folks!

Doug

Thanks for the accolades! You'll be in the 5.7's in no time. I usually get quite a few 5.77's and 5.74's during each session of play. Ocasionally I'll get a 5.67. I've only done 5.64 about 4 times ever. A friend of mine back in the 80's got 5.61 once. I envied him so! At the time, Todd's record was 5.57, so we were so close. But Todd later got his time down to the awsome 5.51! Man, those were the days! 8)

Yes these certifications are for ANYONE on ANY system that DRAGSTER is on again just send me the picture of your score from your T.V. or P.C. and i will send you out a modified ORIGINAL copy of ACTIVISIONS dragster certificate . But remember to send me all your info one where to send this too and I will also forward the info the Ron at Snipercade as he tracks ALL atari 2600 title highscores for the TwinGalaxies data base. Thanks all for your participation

Todd Mr.Activision Rogers

p.s. Ron has the first "#1" remake copy of the certs and im sure i have to redo his as he's gotten a better time since it was made CONGRADS Ron

• 1 month later...

I confess... I'm old enough to have bought the original Sears version of Atari. I loved playing Adventure, Night Driver, and when Activision came along Dragster.

In the Dragster booklet back then they listed a record time.... I don't recall what it was... but, after about twenty hours of play I beat it, and took a Polaroid of the screen. Now days that pic is long gone, but I remember the time! 5.74 seconds. I was a new father, and just into a first great job, so I lost contact with players and software far too soon.

Question: What was the original record time in the first edition booklet??

I know I beat it, and had the Polaroid to prove it, but of course as I read this sites messages that old time has been surpassed now. But back in 1981... for at least a while I felt like the Champion of the world!!

Wes

47 years of age

Atlanta, Georgia

USA

:D

I just found a copy of the supposed original Dragster booklet. It says that the record was 5.61 seconds. I don't believe that was the original score.

What ever the first edition booklet said, I beat it... which is why I took a Polaroid of the screen... if it wasn't a record at 5.74 seconds in 1981, then whatever the booklet quoted, I beat it... I just seem to remember it being 5.74 that was better than the booklet said.

What was the original booklet record back in 1980-81 ??

Wes

The original booklet said 5.77 was the world record. It was held by Alan Miller(one of the Activision programmers). His score was actually a little better than that, but they printed 5.77 to give everyone elso a chance. Soon after--along came Todd Rogers!! My score was then 5.64 and my friend had a 5.61. We thought we were the greatest too. I still have my original photos. We even took a photo of a run we did on 2 player with simultaneous 5.74's which I still have. But Todd soon put an end to our gloating. For in the next edition of "Activisions" he was listed as 5.57. In the subsequent issues he achieved an awsome time of 5.51!!!(still the world record to this day-- I predict it will never be defeated-- perhaps tied.) Anyway, I'm done rambling! And let me say that 5.74 is an exceptionally fine score!! It beats all but 2 listings on Twin Galaxies world record site! Game on! :!: