IGNORED

The Titlescreen Kernel

RevEng

The bB Titlescreen Kernel can be used to create high-quality titlescreens for your bB games. Enjoy!

titlescreen_kernel_1.8.zip

Jeff Wierer's most excellent vbb project now has an integrated Titlescreen Wizard!

Here are some screenshots from 3 of the examples in the zip.

post-23476-128527425178_thumb.png post-23476-12852742643_thumb.png post-23476-128537761208_thumb.gif

And here are the bins from the examples.

ex1-basic_color.bas.bin

ex2-scroller.bas.bin

ex3-animation.bas.bin

ex4-color_by_flicker.bas.bin

ex5-player_and_playfield.bas.bin

Please report any bugs in this thread. Go forth and make titlescreens!

• Like 13

Thanks. I'll see what I can make tonight. Now I have to figure out the best way to link to this thread from the bB page. Throwing it in with a bunch of other links doesn't seem right. Maybe I can create a section for it, add a little text from your PDF file, then add a link to this thread.

Update:

I had a problem where the background color wasn't right. I thought I put the following in an empty bank, but it wasn't empty:

asm
  include "titlescreen/asm/titlescreen.asm"
end

After I moved up to 32k and put it in a bank that was really empty, the background color was correct.

Edited by Random Terrain

Awesome documentation for your Titlescreen Kernel!

I have an idea for something that maybe can be implemented in a future version or maybe it's doable in the current state.

Currently there's an animation mini kernel to make text scroll upwards. What about another mini kernel that doesn't moves a bunch of lines at once?

Your Robotron scrolling example has an image with a height of 256, but you're only showing 64 at a time. It scrolls up slowly.

Since you are able to make an image that has a height of 256, how about a mini kernel that allows the user to alternate between 2, 3 or 4 images, which would all be contained in one image of a 256 height. Here's my example:

To alternate between two images, you would draw one image with a height of 256, animation frame #1 is contained in lines 1 - 128, animation frame #2 is lines 129 - 256. Your mini kernel would switch between those two sections to make a 2 frame animation.

You would also be able to chose to have 3 animation frames, animation frame #1 is lines 1 - 85, animation frame #2 is lines 86 - 170, and animation frame #3 is lines 171 - 256.

Lastly, you could chose to have 4 animation frames, animation frame #1 is lines 1 - 64, animation frame #2 is lines 65 - 128, animation frame #3 is lines 129 - 192, and animation frame #4 is lines 193 - 256.

People would be able to use this to switch between picture.. you could make a car zooming across the screen, a person walking, or maybe just switch between your game title and company title.

People would be able to use this to switch between picture.. you could make a car zooming across the screen, a person walking, or maybe just switch between your game title and company title.

I'm either not reading that right or I'm on drugs. Sounds like you are talking about 6. Example 3 - A titlescreen with an animated graphic in the PDF file. It's right after the stuff about scrolling.

Can anything interfere with the background color?...

I'm not sure what's going on there.

The background color is determined by the titlescreencolor value, which is either hardcoded in the "titlescreen_color.asm" file (to a default of black), or it can be set by dim'ing a variable named "titlescreencolor".

But from your description I'm guessing you haven't done that... if you can post or PM the code with the problem I can take a look.

@yuppicide: RT called it right. (If he's on drugs, he's not sharing.) Have a look at the animation example! :)

But from your description I'm guessing you haven't done that... if you can post or PM the code with the problem I can take a look.

I must be on drugs. I think I stuck it in a bank I thought was empty, but it wasn't. I moved up to 32k since I was out of totally free banks and now it works.

Sorry, maybe I missed it because I was at work and when I looked at the picture of the gears they all look just about the same. So, I couldn't really tell from that stacked picture. Now I see you say "the gears are animated you need to trust me".

Maybe something with more contrast between frames would have done it.