IGNORED

The Titlescreen Kernel

RevEng

I asked Rev this in PM.. I was using the 96x2_1:

I didn't really cover off the screen height topic in the tutorial, so you didn't miss it. I'll add it if to the docs if there winds up being another release.

You should have about 85 display lines with that minikernel, if it's the only minikernel. But each minikernel you to the screen not only uses lines for its image display, but ~5 lines of blank space during which it's setting things up.

I read through the manual, and I don't think I saw this mentioned, but then I might have just missed it. When setting the window for display height, what's the maximum height allowed? An example used a value of 64, is that the maximum? Or can it display up to 96? Thank you.

Edited by yuppicide

This looks absolutely great! Wanted to ask, have you tried this with the bitmap kernel? If not, I may try a rewrite of passthrough with the new titlescreen and the bitmap kernels both in to see what I get. As someone said before though, this will definitely add to games made by Batari Basic and make them look more professional. Great work!

@yuppicide: thanks for the assist - I couldn't have said it better myself! ;)

@jbs30000: It's important to remember that answer was for double-line minikernels. If you use the 48x1 minikernels you get twice as many lines in.

@Cliff: Thanks! I didn't try it out with the bitmap minikernel yet - it should work if I haven't duplicated any labels between the titlescreen kernel bits and the bitmap minikernel. I'd appreciate a test!

Thanks for pointing that out about the twice as many lines. I didn't know.

@jbs30000: It's important to remember that answer was for double-line minikernels. If you use the 48x1 minikernels you get twice as many lines in.

@Cliff: Thanks! I didn't try it out with the bitmap minikernel yet - it should work if I haven't duplicated any labels between the titlescreen kernel bits and the bitmap minikernel. I'd appreciate a test!

I will take a look at it later this week. Still getting adjusted to two kids instead of one =)

Cliff

I can't wait to use this. I'm currently doing a complete write of a game that I have not even finished yet, wanting to make it look and run and sound better. I'm definitely going to be using this for my title screen! I'll post pictures once I have one created!!!

Thanks

Disjaukifa

I'm experiencing some issue in doing the part one of the tutorial. I'm using the ImgtoCode.0.9.1.6 to reduce the copy-paste operations. When I'm transcoding pictures, despite they are draw in 96x11,48x98 and 48x11 the output bytes are not regulars: for one i got twelve rows instead of eleven. Despite I trim the displayed heights or the bytes height, the compilation succeed but the game crash in stella...

As a beginner, the figure 9 in the documentation is not clear. You have enlight the remaining part to adjust but the above explanation are a later step. I guess if the figure 9 displayed the changed value after adjusting the height will be more close to the current step of the tutorial... the user could compare it with the figure 8 to crosscheck what is done

Yet many others succeed using your wonderful tools so I guess I'm the problem. I will try again tomorrow from the beginning.

Regards and respects for your work.

P.S: when compiling your Exercice.bas file, there is no issue. Its when I try to use my own graphics that problems rise.

Edited by abaudrand

I'm the first to admit that creating a titlescreen isn't a simple matter, so don't take the issues you are having personally. You're having a problem, so let's just work through it.

My initial guess is that maybe you've trimmed off a column from the data instead of a row. But its just a guess. Did you try the data as-is, without the trimming?

It will make things easier if you attach the files involved (source image, the image assembly, and your .bas) to a post here or a PM to me.

I'd expect display glitches from too much data - not for the game to crash. So maybe something else is happening.

I'll take a look at the documentation figure in question and see what I can do. Thanks for bringing it up!

Ok I found out my problem. I didn't paid attention to the output setting of ImtoCo. Tutorial 1 use two 48x1 kernels and I forgot to set the "copy" button to "2" for the second picture. (hope I'm clear enough, but my english is a bit rusty).

It work fine but I need now to adjust the conversion more accurately as my game title is a bunch of messy pixels.

I can tell you that I'm amazed by the quality of your job ! It must have been a headache time for writing it. :)

Edited by abaudrand

Ok I found out my problem. I didn't paid attention to the output setting of ImtoCode.

I can tell you that I'm amazed by the quality of your job ! It must have been a headache time for writing it. :)

Great! I'm glad that you're on the right path now.

It was definitely a headache writing and documenting the titlescreen kernel, but its a small job compared to batari's amazing work.

And its worth the headache now that I see it being used! :)

I'm continuing experimenting your titlekernel and I've tried to use it as a playfield (for having a better resolution of background) but off course it doesn't work. Still the funny thing is that I can see my player 0 sprite but it is in three copy flickering behind all graphics. I guess there is no way to merge it in a loop with other code that interfere with graphics. Am i right?

:)

The graphics in the Titlescreen Kernel are made up of copies of the player sprites, so the best you can do is flicker the TSKernel display with a bB drawscreen. Since you say you can see your player, I'm guessing that's what you're already doing.

To get rid of the 3 copies, try setting "NUSIZ0=0" and "NUSIZ1=0" before your drawscreen.

I salute your experimenting spirit! :thumbsup:

*Edit* Would it be possible for a game to have two seperate title screens, as long as they are stored in different banks? Also can you have sound with the title screens?

RevEng, I have download and printed out your documentation and its very good. Thanks again for all the hard work that you put into this. I truly feel that we have not come even close to maxing out the potential of batari Basic programming for the 2600!

-Disjaukifa

Edited by disjaukifa