IGNORED

Druid 2 title screen

Heaven/TQA

because Druid 2 the game existed on the c64 and not the A8. and it was a loading screen

How could have answered as well. :(

I am more interested if anyone considers to code Druid 2 fro the A8?.

I just played the first Druid and I suck at it. Is the 2nd worth a conversion?

Your sucking at a game hasn't been the criterion for converting a game as far as I know.

• Like 1

because Druid 2 the game existed on the c64 and not the A8. and it was a loading screen

Your sucking at a game hasn't been the criterion for converting a game as far as I know.

It does hinder testing and refining a lot though.

I wouldn't feel that confident about porting a game I sucked at because I reckon it could be a symptom of missing some fundamental point of the gameplay and said subtlety would also be missing from the conversion, rendering it crap.

• Like 1

It does hinder testing and refining a lot though.

I wouldn't feel that confident about porting a game I sucked at because I reckon it could be a symptom of missing some fundamental point of the gameplay and said subtlety would also be missing from the conversion, rendering it crap.

If he's the one porting it, yeah perhaps it would help if he was good at the game.

Well that was hard work, especially the pmgs, but I'm quite happy with how it turned out. I didn't even murder anyone in the end - what a stroke of luck! Not sure about the colours in the first pic, but that's from g2f's palette. I have to admit, as frustrating as it was, I did get a nostalgic thrill(?) from doing this.

I once saw a picture of Indiana Jones by STE'86 (which is quite fantastic), and wanted to make an Atari version, so finally, here it is.

post-24652-12871754584_thumb.png

post-24652-128717647134_thumb.png

jones bw.xex

jones colour.xex

• Like 7

Well that was hard work, especially the pmgs, but I'm quite happy with how it turned out. I didn't even murder anyone in the end - what a stroke of luck! Not sure about the colours in the first pic, but that's from g2f's palette. I have to admit, as frustrating as it was, I did get a nostalgic thrill(?) from doing this.

I once saw a picture of Indiana Jones by STE'86 (which is quite fantastic), and wanted to make an Atari version, so finally, here it is.

8 shades of one colour... not bad. Everything looks fine , but the image has some "bug" ... it looks like he has a fly on the right side of his nose ;)

love the sepia one. captures the spirit of the the original "raiders" book cover and poster. but a totally different pose obviously.

have you done any other stuff? 2nd post on AA doesnt "gel" with such an accomplished image. it feels like i am looking at someones stuff i should recognise even :)

actually Pete has just said via messenger that he thinks some of the dithering style on the image makes it look like I did the pic. :) but i'm "pretty" sure i didnt :)

if you have more please post them.

kudos to you for drawing and posting an image of someone very recognisable to the viewers. many these days seem very unwilling to art based on recognisable subjects.

Steve

Just for Comparision... a quick resize and pulled down to 8 colours version on the PC.

post-2756-128721097937_thumb.gif

The collar range looks very good. Even if there is the most complex colour change >gz< to RAM for this. Remember the A8 has real 8 shades and the possiblility of using 9 colours per scanline without any tricks.

I know about the issues to import something into G2F. So I make only proposals.

To enhance the 4 colour import, the transitions would do better , if they were not that linear.

A small rework on the nose and the right eye of Indy removes the "1st sight bug" .

In the colour version it could help to change the black into a colour at the darkest lum.

Dark brown (not the darkest) at the nose and the darkest brown to remove the black spots, and some green-blue pixels at both eyes...

Edited by emkay

love the sepia one. captures the spirit of the the original "raiders" book cover and poster. but a totally different pose obviously.

have you done any other stuff? 2nd post on AA doesnt "gel" with such an accomplished image. it feels like i am looking at someones stuff i should recognise even :)

actually Pete has just said via messenger that he thinks some of the dithering style on the image makes it look like I did the pic. :) but i'm "pretty" sure i didnt :)

if you have more please post them.

kudos to you for drawing and posting an image of someone very recognisable to the viewers. many these days seem very unwilling to art based on recognisable subjects.

Steve

Thanks for that, but all I did really was take a pic from the internet and play around with it in paintshop pro, and then g2f. Pretty much a fluke that it worked so well really!

The "dithering style" is clearly influenced by your stuff though, as that's the effect I wanted to achieve, and although Emkay shows it's not perfect, I'm happy with it. Can't imagine I'll be doing anything else soon, as g2f really is a pain to use!

The "dithering style" is clearly influenced by your stuff though, as that's the effect I wanted to achieve, and although Emkay shows it's not perfect, I'm happy with it. Can't imagine I'll be doing anything else soon, as g2f really is a pain to use!

Hm.... If you don't want to continue with it. Why not posting the G2F? It's only some slight stuff to be done.

Finally I'm through.

It was more work to do this tutorial than I thought. Could please anybody stop me when I'm doing such offer again? ;)

Part 4 is here:

The result is attached.

(Archive contains G2F & XEX-file)

Just two additional wishes for G2F:

* I think, it is a good idea, if the user would be enabled to change the order of register changes in the bottom of the check dialogue (bottom part). Drag & drop? He could then apply changes to the timing critical (first exposed) parts first (if there is no automatism in G2F)?

* The range edition should be changed. It is annoying if I like to change the upper border and preserve the lower one, that my lower border is connected with the 'range' to the upper one. I thought something like this:

Upper limit:  [012] [<|>]
Range:        [034] [<|>]
Lower limit:  [046] [<|>]

The user can operate on all definitions. G2F automatically updates the range and lower limit (and vice versa) if changed.

Druid2.zip

post-7778-128726466009_thumb.png

• Like 4

can this be replicated in G2F?

dokk_druid2--article_image.jpg

i think thats a pretty resounding "NO" from me

good tutorial tho.

its a valiant effort but its not as good as dokks original. sorry. especially considering the effort involved to do the a8 version compared to the c64.

also bearing in mind you actually needed a c64 original in order to ddo the a8 conversion in the first place.

all this says to me tho is stop trying to replicate complex c64 stuff and draw stuff your machine CAN do.

Steve

Edited by STE'86

Actually, back in the 80's, I would have said, YES this is Atari art as it should be.

The Robe is far from pixel exactness and the visual DLI changes do not well to the image. What's the cause for you to chose this solution?

Edit: The goblins look far better in the A8 version....

Edited by emkay
  • Like 2

i think thats a pretty resounding "no" from me

If I could live with a coloured frame, the result would be more similar. Please note that I also have not used any mid-line changes, which also mean an improvement, especially in the 'critical' section.

It was an interesting task as there are several places where the C64 colour clashes are rather obvious.

As a funny side-note, you aren't able to port the image back to the C64, achieving the A8 look. ;)

As a final result, I strengthen my initial statement, that working on original art makes not only more fun, but is also more useful.

Do you remember: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/134852-atari-v-commodore/page__st__10850__p__1861936?do=findComment&comment=1861936?

The chicken...

• Like 2

Actually, back in the 80's, I would have said, YES this is Atari art as it should be.

The Robe is far from pixel exactness and the visual DLI changes do not well to the image. What's the cause for you to chose this solution?

See above. Feel free to tweak the colours or enable the GED mode. At least, I provided the source...

i think thats a pretty resounding "no" from me

If I could live with a coloured frame, the result would be more similar. Please note that I also have not used any mid-line changes, which also mean an improvement, especially in the 'critical' section.

It was an interesting task as there are several places where the C64 colour clashes are rather obvious.

As a funny side-note, you aren't able to port the image back to the C64, achieving the A8 look. ;)

As a final result, I strengthen my initial statement, that working on original art makes not only more fun, but is also more useful.

Do you remember: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/134852-atari-v-commodore/page__st__10850__p__1861936?do=findComment&comment=1861936?

The chicken...

and as my side note i would like to say...

dokk would have done that pic in about 10 hours and its taken over 2 weeks to wire it and not have it look as good.

thanks for trying tho. i did say it was a valiant effort.

Steve

See above. Feel free to tweak the colours or enable the GED mode. At least, I provided the source...

You know what, I'll try to overwhelm the limits of G2F and make the robe more original. Many parts of your adopted pic look better than the original already.

yeah you do that Emkay and if you overwhelm g2f like you do the pokey, chances are we'll all go fcking blind. :)

Steve

Was that really necessary? Is this the same 'STE'86' which wrote:

I can't see how something which gets people actually doing something instead of just talking about it is ever a waste of resources.

if nothing else it may have inspired someone else to have a crack at using g2f.

and god knows you need a few more active "doers" on here.

?

Edited by Irgendwer
  • Like 2

It's a decent attempt at a conversion, as Ste said. Unlike emkay I don't think the goblins look better in all green tones, the C64 ones may have been done like that because that was a standard colour set (brown to green) but all green removes any kind of idea of environmental light from them and makes them look dull.

A funny side note, we don't "need" to convert it back to the C64, we already have a perfectly good one that's been around since mid 80s. I know what you're saying though and totally agree, the main point is each machine can do things the other can't. Attempting to do something from one machine on the other is (or can be) fun and I find tends to knock people out of their rut of maybe doing things the same way over and over, like trying to do pictures in same shades of a colour JUST because the machine can.

Pete

Unlike emkay I don't think the goblins look better in all green tones, the C64 ones may have been done like that because that was a standard colour set (brown to green) but all green removes any kind of idea of environmental light from them and makes them look dull.

I agree, having the brown in there is better. It's actually an easy change in graph2font, just making a single palette color adjustment.

Unlike emkay I don't think the goblins look better in all green tones, the C64 ones may have been done like that because that was a standard colour set (brown to green) but all green removes any kind of idea of environmental light from them and makes them look dull.

I agree, having the brown in there is better. It's actually an easy change in graph2font, just making a single palette color adjustment.

The brown is really just a sparepart.... yet some artistic intent .... but it has nothing to do with any lightning effect. The picture itself is full of illogic lightning. Depending on a light effect, the "green ? " goblins should shine in a mix of green and blue, depending on the colour of the light. Even if the goblins were brown, green would not be the resulting colour, if the light is white/blue.... not to talk about the hair and beard of the Druid.

A quick edit which shows a definitively .... more correct .... light effect.

post-2756-128727433353_thumb.gif

Edited by emkay
  • Like 2

great stuff. lets make it look even more monochrome.

now we're getting there...

it's beginning to look just like a normal a8 chroma/luma ramped "mono" pic now :roll:

this is precisely the result of people getting obssesive in the use of ramped colour fades when the machines can do it. just like the st and amiga artists did when those machine first arrived.

Steve

Edited by STE'86

Good Job. If you're interested in doing monocrome/greyscale conversions, GTIA mode works well. You can make a conversion in 5 minutes and not have to worry about the difficulties of working with PMGs.

These are unedited conversions. With a little bit of pixel editing they can be made to look quite nice.

post-6369-128729536071_thumb.png

Jones (GTIA).xex

post-6369-128729536936_thumb.png

Beautiful (GTIA).xex

post-6369-12872953804_thumb.png

Sexy (GTIA).xex

• Like 1