IGNORED

Sonic The Hedgehog on the 2600

tokumaru

Smooth scrolling should be possible too, at least with the current system by adding/removing lines at the top (smooth) and adjust the kernel setup (coarse).

Could you exand on this further? I don't know enough assemmbly to interpret your source. The few demos I've seen with smooth horizontal scrolling also seem to take on a staggered line appearance. Is this because playfield pixels cannot be used for horizontal smooth scrolling? Somehow this is using the other graphic objects?

Sorry, I ment saying vertical (up, down) scrolling. By adding black lines at the top (easy), I can do a faux vertical scroll. When 16 double scan lines are added, I can go back to add none, and re-arange the kernels (add a new kernel on top, remove one from below).

The horizontal scrolling is now done with the graphic objects (player1, ball). There is a part where the playfieldpixels are used. On that part, the ball object is used to smooth out the playfield pixels. In Stella, you can enabable/disable the ball by pressing alt-b. alt-n toggles the playfield pixels.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
It should be easy to extend the kernel to individually set the colors for COLUBK and COLUP1 per band. That way you could flip the colors for background and player 1 to make a ground layer with gaps. (But I'm guessing you have planned something like that already ;-) )

You mean like the floor in one of the previous demo's? :)

As long as it remains a tech demo we're safe. If someone does want to make a real platformer out of this we'll have to name the main character "Sloopy the Wet Dingus" to stay lawyer free.

I don't think so - have you seen all the Sonic hacks and fangames? Sega hasn't bothered anyone about that, and even bought one (Sonic CD recreation for other platforms).

As long as it remains a tech demo we're safe. If someone does want to make a real platformer out of this we'll have to name the main character "Sloopy the Wet Dingus" to stay lawyer free.

I don't think so - have you seen all the Sonic hacks and fangames? Sega hasn't bothered anyone about that, and even bought one (Sonic CD recreation for other platforms).

shhhhh... I was trying to get them to name it "Sloopy the Wet Dingus"! Just AGREE!

• Like 1

This is certainly an interesting project,i know with the homebrew scenes there may be some advances in programming techniques but is the sound any different to other atari games?,i mean can we get anything from the A2600 that represents a metalic "rrring!" when something is collected?

This is certainly an interesting project,i know with the homebrew scenes there may be some advances in programming techniques but is the sound any different to other atari games?,i mean can we get anything from the A2600 that represents a metalic "rrring!" when something is collected?

I don't think anoyone's assigned themselves this project. Some great programmers have come up with some interesting demos for sure, though. I think MOD music tracker like sound is possible but the tradeoff is the time needed for fancy graphics.

Trying some more blocks now. the playfield is now 16 blocks high and 16 blocks wide. If you go further, things will start to act strange. I'm not sure about how interesting a level could be... Maybe some longer runs of blocks would help.

post-15728-0-67280200-1347743167_thumb.png

sloopythewetdingus.bin

Edited by roland p
  • Like 4

• 1 year later...