IGNORED

converting roms into audio files for ti99/4a

is there any utility for either windows or linux that can convert *.TITape files into *.wav or *.mp3 files and if not can it at least convert them into fiad files so i can use cs1er to get them on to an actual cassette tape?

Edited by Robert Cotterman
  • Like 1

is there any utility for either windows or linux that can convert *.TITape files into *.wav or *.mp3 files and if not can it at least convert them into fiad files so i can use cs1er to get them on to an actual cassette tape?

actually i have found CS1er does not really work. it will make an audio file, but when loaded into the ti99/4a it does says something about a error in data

actually i have found CS1er does not really work. it will make an audio file, but when loaded into the ti99/4a it does says something about a error in data

You'll need a hardware device like Gram KRACKER for running ROM files. If you are referring to the disk versions of the same, then you'll require 32K memory expansion. Trying to load assembly games from tape is possible, but it's quite a task.

I would definetely go for a nanoPEB (CF7+), it will make your task a lot easier. Check here:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2005270799201?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=200527079920&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

You'll need a hardware device like Gram KRACKER for running ROM files. If you are referring to the disk versions of the same, then you'll require 32K memory expansion. Trying to load assembly games from tape is possible, but it's quite a task.

I would definetely go for a nanoPEB (CF7+), it will make your task a lot easier. Check here:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2005270799201?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=200527079920&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

so there's no way to turn simple tape images into audio? i'm not worried about disk programs so much though. or is there a command besides "OLD CS1" i should be using to load these 2 minute long audio files?

Tape "images" and ROM images are two entirely different things.

The kilo-baud noise you hear while loading a program from tape into a vintage computer such as the TI is already in an analogue audio form. If you're wanting to copy your old TI tapes to your computer's hard drive OR to burn onto a CD for archival's sake - then you need to connect a tape deck up to your computer and record it (I believe the kids call this "ripping" today) to a .wav file or something similar. Lossless that is. I wouldn't trust a compression scheme (mp3) with this stuff, but I know it can be done. Then you simply hook your computer, or if you "burned" a CD from your tape "images", hook your portable CD player to the cassette input of the TI. I did this back in the mid 90's with my Scott Adams CD project (among other things) with great success.

BTW: to take your subject heading literally - only program I have ever seen that converts ROM files to audio, would be for the Atari 2600. Makewav... and you used it with 2k-4k programs in conjunction with the Starpath Supercharger.

Edited by save2600