IGNORED

CX10 vs CX40?

eegad

Just wondering if people find the CX10 desirable STRICTLY from a collectibility/rarity standpoint, or if some of you actually prefer the feel of it for gaming.

I only recently came into posession of a pair of CX-10's with a heavy sixer I bought on ebay. While I like the idea of the sturdier internal construction, after using one last night to play a few games, my own opinion is that I really don't like the feel of them - they are too....i don't know, "springy", "clickety"? I prefer the CX40's with their cheapo-plastic inserts (which I always used to break as a kid!). And actually, for Atari gaming these days what I really prefer and use regularly are the repro sticks that came with the Flashback 2....I think they're best of all.

My CX-10s get no play time. Strictly for collecting and or decoration around the game room. I prefer the CX-78 joypad for most play. If I desire the original joystick I go with a CX-40 updated with Best Electronics gold board. For kids and or rough users I keep some Atari Flashback joysticks lying around.

Edited by Heavy26R

Get some Coleco Gemini Gemsticks. They are the best joysticks. I remember buying about 10 of them from Kaybee toys years ago when they were liquidating them for $2 each. I still have most of them.

What do you like about them, OA?

Even though they are very similar in appearance, I think they are a little more rugged. I've had a few Atari sticks break off in my hands after some intense play but never had a Gemstick break on me. I also like the feel of the button better than the Atari one. It's bigger and it's domed instead of dished. I've never liked the sticks that have a button on top of the stick or stubby controllers like the Slik Stick. I also like the NES style gamepads that are out there. I think they were sold with the Australian 7800 or something. I also use my Sega Genesis gamepad sometimes.

I also like the NES style gamepads that are out there. I think they were sold with the Australian 7800 or something. I also use my Sega Genesis gamepad sometimes.

The NES type controllers are CX-78. You can still get them for like $18 from Best Electronics. I believe they were stock with European 7800 systems.

449367210_33960bb866_m.jpg

Edited by Heavy26R

I also like the NES style gamepads that are out there. I think they were sold with the Australian 7800 or something. I also use my Sega Genesis gamepad sometimes.

The NES type controllers are CX-78. You can still get them for like $18 from Best Electronics. I believe they were stock with European 7800 systems.

449367210_33960bb866_m.jpg

I've always found that those buttons are a bit far apart, and the dpad kinda sucks.

Get some Coleco Gemini Gemsticks. They are the best joysticks. I remember buying about 10 of them from Kaybee toys years ago when they were liquidating them for $2 each. I still have most of them.

ATA26CON0047LX.gif

I second that. These are the joysticks I used back in the day and still use now.

Tempest

I use mostlty a cx-40 with the boot pulled off. I don't really care for the cx-10's as they felt real sloppy. I used to just give them away but now I keep 'em only for completing H6er sets. Gemsticks were also an excellent alternative.

ATA26CON0047LX.gif

I second that. These are the joysticks I used back in the day and still use now.

Tempest

Third. Best joystick I ever owned outside of the CX-40 was a Gemstik. Used it all the time for 2600 and single-button 7800 games until it finally stopped working a few years back. Been hoping I can find another one in a yard sale or something so I can replace it.

I am on the CX-40 side of the fence. The 10's are very mushy, button and joystick, and way too much motion required. The 40's are stiffer (which is my only real complaint), but I don't have to move the stick 3 feet for it to register.

I'm lucky ... I accidentally got a set of CX-10's in a purchase I made. After cleanup, almost minty fresh, including all the paint and no scratches! The only thing they're missing is the badge at the top of the stick. So I'm happy collectionwise.

I just purchased my first CX-10 today at an estate sale and I LOVE IT! I couldn't believe the response on that thing. I tested it out with a game of Stargate. I played with the CX-10 for a while then I plugged in a CX-40. The difference is night and day. The CX-10 played effortlessly. The 40 is sure good for building a grip :lol: Like one of the previous posters said, I don't how I played with the CX-40 as a kid and not end up with some permananent hand damage.

I had some of the Gemstiks as well. Purchased them at KB Toys in the early 90s for about $1.99 a piece. I don't remember if I liked playing with them so much as they were just the best (cheap) alternative because all of my CX-40s were broken.

But nonetheless, if I could find CX-10s for the price I got my first one for today, I'd only play with those.

I do have to agree about the Gemsticks. I was initially talking about Atari brand sticks in this topic, but I do have one Gemstick, and I do recall it being really nice....mostly because the shaft is shorter and more comfortable to hold. I'm glad it was mentioned here, because now I must go dig it out......haven't seen it in years, but I know it's packed away somewhere in the "miscellaneous" Atari box. :)

Edited by eegad