IGNORED

Atari STE Games and Demos

I'm mostly Amiga person, so I'm not that familiar with ST line. I do have an Atari STE with 4MB RAM (the local computer store was selling key chains out of 1MB 30 pin Simms, so I got 4MB for $4), but it does not see much action from me.

If you guys wanted to show off your STE (not ST) computer, what would you recommend?

I'm looking for games written for STE or Demos to play on my TV.

I'm mostly Amiga person, so I'm not that familiar with ST line. I do have an Atari STE with 4MB RAM (the local computer store was selling key chains out of 1MB 30 pin Simms, so I got 4MB for $4), but it does not see much action from me.

If you guys wanted to show off your STE (not ST) computer, what would you recommend?

Atari STE enhanced and only software:

http://www.atarilegend.com/games/games_search.php?game_name2=&game_name=&publisher_id=all&cat_id=all&release_year=all&game_search=1&ste=3&mono=&pd=&stos=

Edited by tjlazer

Atari STE enhanced and only software:

http://www.atarilegend.com/games/games_search.php?game_name2=&game_name=&publisher_id=all&cat_id=all&release_year=all&game_search=1&ste=3&mono=&pd=&stos=

Seeing that list, I'm trying to recall a line from "The Thing," a 1982 sci-fi-horror with Kurt Russell. It's something like "YOU GOTTA BE F***ING SH*TTNG ME!" It's when some gnarly-looking space alien reveals himself from within the bowels of another.....or similarly magnificent happening.

What happened to the claim that the STe had no support? This is not in error? None of these will run on STfm? Any/all of these use the super-joystick ports? Blitter? Stereo? With the same onscreen colors, they can't look too different, eh?

Edited by wood_jl

No most if not all do NOT use the enhanced joystick ports! It seems that is a Falcon only thing.

And most do work on the regular ST's, just enhanced for the STE in some way. Like Chaos Engine (Had STE support but ran on the ST too)

But most of that software was Shareware or crap demos anyway...

Edited by tjlazer

But most of that software was Shareware or crap demos anyway...

That's been my experience. Most of the STE enhanced games are barely improved from their regular ST cousins (slightly improved scrolling, a few extra colors, etc.). I still use my Mega STE (mainly because of the HD), but there are only a handful of STE games that are worth playing (Obsession, Stardust, Substation (sorta), and Zero 5 come to mind).

Tempest

I, for one, really appreciate the input of you guys. That would be TJLAZER and TEMPEST in this exchange. I'm simply grateful for your opinions and relations of your experience. I pretty much want an STe, and I'm just glad to hear from folks who've been there. Seriously, thanks. Silly as it seems (yes, my life is pathetic), I really enjoy whatever it is that you (and others!) have to say on such matters. So "thanks!"

jw

I'm going to try to find Stardust for STE, see how it looks.

I'm also interested in "Demo" Scene on Atari STE, any suggestions for a GREAT system seller demo out there???

For STe demos, your first stop should be: Dead Hackers Society - some truly stunning things there that absolutely will not run without that lowercase "e" :)

Edited by CyranoJ

Removing the motherboard and swapping it out with an Amiga 1200's mobo. :rolling:

I have almost ALL Amigas including A1200, and I know what they are capable of, I wanted to see what STE is capable.

BTW, if anyone wanted to start their Amiga collection, start with A1200. A1200 supports, IDE HD, or IDE flash, PCMCIA CF adapters for easy transfer.

Removing the motherboard and swapping it out with an Amiga 1200's mobo. :rolling:

Wow,so then it would be unreliable. Have a crappy o/s and not fit the case. How cool! :D

Yeah! Then we can have the cheap shit-ass 2-cent capacitors leak their electrolyte all over the motherboard. The cartoon user interface is merely a bonus.

• Like 1

I have almost ALL Amigas including A1200, and I know what they are capable of, I wanted to see what STE is capable.

BTW, if anyone wanted to start their Amiga collection, start with A1200. A1200 supports, IDE HD, or IDE flash, PCMCIA CF adapters for easy transfer.

Tried that. See previous post about motherboard. Meanwhile, every ST I've run across works, even those sold for "parts." Suggest researching bad caps on A1200/A4000 motherboards. Google it and see I'm not making this shit up.

I know about the caps, Game Gear has same problems, as many electronics from that time. Mine so far works great. The one I have is from "Amiga Technologies", maybe better batch, I don't know.

Anyway, the purpose of this thread is not to bash Amiga or reignite Atari - Amiga wars, but to celebrate and enjoy works on Atari STE.

I'm going to try to find Stardust for STE, see how it looks.

I'm also interested in "Demo" Scene on Atari STE, any suggestions for a GREAT system seller demo out there???

For STe demos, your first stop should be: Dead Hackers Society - some truly stunning things there that absolutely will not run without that lowercase "e" :)

Now this is the post I was looking for!!!

Thanks, I been watching the videos, and the demos are very nice.

I need more sites like that. Any NTSC versions out there???

I know about the caps, Game Gear has same problems, as many electronics from that time. Mine so far works great. The one I have is from "Amiga Technologies", maybe better batch, I don't know.

Anyway, the purpose of this thread is not to bash Amiga or reignite Atari - Amiga wars, but to celebrate and enjoy works on Atari STE.

Indeed, it shouldn't be about bashing. I was merely responding to the "little shots" that some people have to consistently take at the Atari ST, here within the Atari ST forum of a site dedicated to Atari. I would never go to a Commodore site and start bashing their machines, but it seems the reverse ain't true, and I feel compelled to reply when a Commodore user enters the ST forum of an Atari site, to take shots. Perhaps you should direct your criticisms to them?

Why are you here?

I've had a couple of A1200s...the build quality compared to my Falcon leaves much to be

desired.

If this is the best you can offer, in support of this *Atari* forum. please go back to your

Amiga groups...

Wow,so then it would be unreliable. Have a crappy o/s and not fit the case. How cool! :D

Yeah! Then we can have the cheap shit-ass 2-cent capacitors leak their electrolyte all over the motherboard. The cartoon user interface is merely a bonus.

Yeah these flame wars are fun. Sadly the cap problem was not just them and continued for through the 90's and mid 2000's, We fix lcd's,power supplies and lots of pc's mothersboards. Always start with caps being bad,even bad if not swollen or leaking.. lot of crap on the web about this problem. Ameaoba was "lucky" enough to get the problem.

As to the main subject I loved the STE as well and dont like when people hate on it. Ok if they like something else,not my business.STE Demos,though few were very cool!

So funny, my view as well! :D :D :D