IGNORED

Video cuts out

david_mn

A few weeks ago I bought what was advertised as a working ColecoVision system off of eBay. It came with three cartridges; Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr, and Carnival. I hooked it up to my TV and it exhibits some odd behavior.

The welcome screen comes up fine. When I press start I get the welcome player 1 screen, and then about half a second of the game screen before the TV screen goes blue and says “no signal.” This happens on all three carts. I have tried hooking it up with the RCA cables into a coax adapter and sending the RCA cables into an RF modulator. I get the same results with both connection methods.

I’m just wondering if anyone out there has any suggestions on beginning to diagnose this problem.

With that out of the way, I’m new here. I was an avid gamer back in the day. I owned an Atari 2600, a ColecoVision, and an Intellivision II. Somewhere in my basement I’ve got a box with all my old cartridges in them. I just haven’t uncovered it yet.

Something wrong with the video hardware, I bet, maybe a capacitor? You also might have a bad power supply. If you know someone who has one, try theirs. If not, since they are hard to find/expensive, it might be best to try opening up the colecovision and see if there is anything visibly wrong. There are people here who could likely debug and fix it for you, but you have to get it to them, and pay for the work (not me, though). Also, might try reheating suspect solder points if you have the skills.