IGNORED

High Score Club 8.10 - Towering Inferno

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

The downtown skyscraper has burst into flames, and only you can rescue the helpless hundreds trapped within. Quickly, you helicopter to the scene, and dispatch your men to battle the deadly flames. How many survivors can you save?

tinferno-attract.jpg

Game Information
  • Game Name: Towering Inferno
  • Released By: US Games, 1982
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Right Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Game Mode: Game 1

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday October 20th at 1:00 AM (Central Time, UTC-6).

Challenges
  • Theme Avatar - Chance your avatar to a picture of a fire fighter for the week, and you get 3 bonus points.
    • Miss 2600 [+3]
    • Chuck D. Head [+3]
    • Scrabbler15 [+3]
    • Deteacher [+3]
    • JacobZu7zu7 [+3]
    • roadrunner [+3]
    • Zoyx [+3]
    • toymailman [+3]

Current High Scores
  1. 2996 (toymailman) [+11]
  2. 2852 (Deteacher) [+10]
  3. 2492 (JacobZu7zu7) [+9]
  4. 2439 (Chuck D. Head) [+8]
  5. 2150 (Zoyx) [+7]
  6. 2144 (Scrabbler15) [+6]
  7. 2068 (Miss 2600) [+5]
  8. 1238 (oyamafamily) [+4]
  9. 1078 (SeaGtGruff) [+3]
  10. 553 (ClassicGMR) [+2]
  11. 310 (roadrunner) [+1]

Best Tips
  • Scrabbler15 [+2]

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 2129 (David B Yancey)
  2. 1731 (Alan W Hewston)
  3. 1516 (Robert Macauley) (Emulator)
(Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings
  1. toymailman [122]
  2. Scrabber15 [107]
  3. JacobZu7zu7 [104]
  4. oyamafamily [90]
  5. Deteacher [89]
  6. zylon [59]
  7. Jifremok [54]
  8. roadrunner [45]
  9. Zoyx [30]up.gif
  10. Chuck D. Head [27]up.gif
  11. ClassicGMR [26]down.gif
  12. LarcenTyler [26]
  13. keilbaca [24]down.gif
  14. Miss 2600 [22]up.gif
  15. pis [21]down.gif
  16. SeaGtGruff [20]up.gif
  17. HatefulGravey [17]down.gif
  18. doctorclu [13]up.gif
  19. Pioneer4x4 [12]down.gif
  20. MrJimbo [8]
  21. Mister VCS [7]up.gif
  22. satan165 [7]down.gif
  23. 4Ks [4]
  24. ed1475 [2]
  25. littleman jack [2]
  26. pacmanplayer [2]
  27. Austin [1]
  28. rmaerz [1]
  29. MIKE5200 [1]
  30. SpaceDice2010 [1]

Scoring Points in Towering Inferno
  • Put Out Flames - 1 point each
  • Rescue a Survivor - 25 points each

Hints and Tips

The Manual

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy available online. Unfortunately, it doesn't provide any specific hints.

Miss 2600

Dang those flames are erratic! Probably like real flames are for firefighters. The walls can be an enemy, too. Try to stay clear when you can as they will really slow you down. A couple of times I got stuck on a corner and my firefighter was frozen. I had to move the joystick a few times to free him using up valuable time.

Deteacher

1. If there are a lot of flames, don't play with fire. Just try to cut a clear path to the window and get out...you score the real points by rescuing the survivors.
  2. If you need a break, you can clear out all the flames. The timer stops and no more survivors will perish. This is a nice built-in pause feature.
  3. You can shoot water through walls and put out fires on the other side. This is quite beneficial, especially if you are hard pressed for time. It will cut down on the number of flames you may have to just rush past in order to get out of the room.

SeaGtGruff

1. Try to stay away from the walls as much as possible, because if you touch them while you're trying to run, you'll get stuck.
  2. You don't have to touch the window to get the people, and touching the window doesn't get them-- you just shoot the window with your hose.
  3. "Shooting through the walls and putting out the fire on the other side" doesn't mean the fire *in* the walls. You can't shoot the fire inside the walls, so don't even bother trying.

Scrabbler15

1. On the first couple of levels, douse all the flames. In addition to 1 point for each flame, there is a 20 point bonus for dousing all the flames. Level one can be worth 125 points (+-) with three people saved and all the flame points. Also do this on any level where there are fewer flames that can be quickly cleared.
  2. Shooting one of the single flames can result in all three flames in the set being doused. It seems to work best hitting the leftmost single flame.
  3. Your guy can shoot with his gun on the left or the right. The gun will move in the direction the guy is moving. Once the shoot button is pressed, the gun stays on the same side until the button is released. Switch the side that the gun is on when it is advantageous to do so.
  4. Attack the flames. It's easy to end up waiting for the flames to come to you. There is not enough time on the later levels to sit around waiting for something to happen. Run around the flame and attack it from the other side, if possible.
  5. The flames are situated in rows. If there is an empty row between the flames, it provides a sort of safe zone to shoot at the flames above and below.
  6. Try to stop in the middle of a row when you move. This will be close enough to douse a flame, but far enough away to prevent getting burned.

--Zero

Dang those flames are erratic! Probably like real flames are for firefighters. The walls can be an enemy, too. Try to stay clear when you can as they will really slow you down. A couple of times I got stuck on a corner and my firefighter was frozen. I had to move the joystick a few times to free him using up valuable time.

After several tries, 720 was my best score:

post-2105-128699332794_thumb.jpg

Well, I never knew about the put out all the the flames and the walls and timer go away thing. It's kind of interesting, but only practical for a while. Once you get to the second building, you need to nut up (or female equivelant), take some chances and save some lives. Got to about floor five of building two and the flames were all of a sudden filling the whole level and I got careless. 1,303 will have to do for tonight. Morgan

post-26465-128703785466_thumb.jpg

2,527! Wow! I beat the TG top score! Woo hoo! :)

post-9712-1287101532_thumb.jpg

I cleared 3.5 buildings. I really like this game, but does anyone else have serious wrist cramp after playing this one? I'm guessing it's because you have to keep the fire button down.

I have 3 tips:

1. If there are a lot of flames, don't play with fire. Just try to cut a clear path to the window and get out...you score the real points by rescuing the survivors.

2. If you need a break, you can clear out all the flames. The timer stops and no more survivors will perish. This is a nice built-in pause feature.

3. You can shoot water through walls and put out fires on the other side. This is quite beneficial, especially if you are hard pressed for time. It will cut down on the number of flames you may have to just rush past in order to get out of the room.

Edited by Deteacher

Finally cleared the 1st building. 0821.

Since I'm obviously new to this game, I'll post some tips that are undoubtedly obvious to the rest of you, but it took me a little while to figure out. :roll:

(1) Try to stay away from the walls as much as possible, because if you touch them while you're trying to run, you'll get stuck.

(2) You don't have to touch the window to get the people, and touching the window doesn't get them-- you just shoot the window with your hose.

(3) "Shooting through the walls and putting out the fire on the other side" doesn't mean the fire *in* the walls. You can't shoot the fire inside the walls, so don't even bother trying.

Michael

post-7456-128711235333_thumb.png

Here's my tips:

1. On the first couple of levels, douse all the flames. In addition to 1 point for each flame, there is a 20 point bonus for dousing all the flames. Level one can be worth 125 points (+-) with three people saved and all the flame points. Also do this on any level where there are fewer flames that can be quickly cleared.

2. Shooting one of the single flames can result in all three flames in the set being doused. It seems to work best hitting the leftmost single flame.

3. Your guy can shoot with his gun on the left or the right. The gun will move in the direction the guy is moving. Once the shoot button is pressed, the gun stays on the same side until the button is released. Switch the side that the gun is on when it is advantageous to do so.

4. Attack the flames. It's easy to end up waiting for the flames to come to you. There is not enough time on the later levels to sit around waiting for something to happen. Run around the flame and attack it from the other side, if possible.

5. The flames are situated in rows. If there is an empty row between the flames, it provides a sort of safe zone to shoot at the flames above and below.

6. Try to stop in the middle of a row when you move. This will be close enough to douse a flame, but far enough away to prevent getting burned.

post-26187-128725569294_thumb.png

Edited by Scrabbler15