IGNORED

Jaguar CD Black Screen start up

thund3r

Hi all, i reciently purchased a brand new memory track but when i put the cart in and start up the jag, the cd spins and i hear it load but all i get is a black screen. The cart slot on it works fine, and i even see the jaguar logo when it starts, but then it just hangs. Anyone know why this is?

Edited by thund3r

As far as I am aware the memory track dosn't do anything plugged in on its own, well mine dosn't anyway. Don't have any problems saving to it though and don't worry about running out of space as there isn't enough Jag CD games made to run out of space!!!

Just yanked out the CD unit and put the cart in the jag and it works fine and shows a Blue Lightning save :? So the cart works fine, but i have no idea why it doesnt work in conjunction with a CD game...

try doing some of these.. self test might be one to try.

MEMORY TRACK
------------

Memory Track Manager:

Hold Option and turn on Jaguar.

Commands:

Delete File       A/B/C
    Set Sort Type     Option
    Set Sort & Save   1+Option/3+Option
    Edit Name/Size    7+9+Option
    Delete All Files  *+#+Option
    Self Test         *+0+#+Option
    Exit              *+#

try doing some of these.. self test might be one to try.

MEMORY TRACK
------------

Memory Track Manager:

Hold Option and turn on Jaguar.

Commands:

Delete File       A/B/C
    Set Sort Type     Option
    Set Sort & Save   1+Option/3+Option
    Edit Name/Size    7+9+Option
    Delete All Files  *+#+Option
    Self Test         *+0+#+Option
    Exit              *+#

Done the self test and it said everything was ok, and i'm still getting a black screen with it plugged in :(

If you got a Blue Lightning save on there, then the BL disc & Memory Track had to work together to do that.

Try doing what Neo_rg says - wipe all the data off it. ;) Then power off the Jag.

I would then check that the wipe went ok, by inserting the MT in either the base unit or CDunit, hold option, and power on -should be empty now. Power off the Jag.

Then try running BL with the MT again. And try some other JagCD games(as was said directly above) that use the MT if you have 'em.

Best of luck. :)

Edited by ovalbugmann

If you got a Blue Lightning save on there, then the BL disc & Memory Track had to work together to do that.

Try doing what Neo_rg says - wipe all the data off it. ;) Then power off the Jag.

I would then check that the wipe went ok, by inserting the MT in either the base unit or CDunit, hold option, and power on -should be empty now. Power off the Jag.

Then try running BL with the MT again. And try some other JagCD games(as was said directly above) that use the MT if you have 'em.

Best of luck. :)

Ok i've given this ago, i've wiped the MT, put blue lightning in and it pops up very briefly stating "writing to memory track" (or something similar) and then a black screen. It does however write it to the MT but still decides to hang on a black screen.

One interesting thing to note is that when i put in the Myst demo an error pops up on the screen stating that it cant read from the CD, once i take the MT out and play the demo on its own it loads perfectly. I have tried other games and its the same across all of them.

I have no idea whats wrong with this thing, i'm guessing its dud in some way?

*edit*

Hmmm, well i've just put in Vid Grid and its making noises, which sound like its loading and they happen periodically so my guess is the CD is trying to load the same bit of data to start the game?

Edited by thund3r

• 1 month later...

Hmmm, I bought a MT (defective) and that has the same issue.

Selftest: OK, but black screen on VidGrid.

:x

Most likely the memory-chip isn't soldered 100% to the PCB.

(I had this problem years ago on a other MT).

With a flashlight, you can shine under the chip to see if a pin is not soldered to the PCB.

You need a small soldering tip (SMD....) and just press it on.

I'll try mine this week and let you know if I can find the problem....

Edited by mr-atari

Ok, here is my finding.

Cartridge now works btw :-)

The eeprom was correctly soldered to the PCB, so I examined the rest closely.

Here I found a drop of solder stuck between to contacts that go into the cartridge-slot.

After removing, vidgrid started , yeah!

Saving and loading is OK now.

Later,

Sijmen.

• 4 years later...

Hi,

I know this post is old but I just had the exact problems talked about in this thread. Mine also had a weird random blob of solder on the contacts!

Also, if using option to view the contents of the memory track, the saved names would show jumbled characters too.

I thought it would be useful to post a photo of the rogue solder in case someone else has this issue. Perhaps it was a faulty batch?

After just picking it off with my nail, the memory track works perfect. Didn't require heating with a soldering iron or anything.

solder_before.jpg

• Like 1