IGNORED

Atari-Forum.com...

Willsy

Whatever the issues are, it is still not up and working in U.S.A. perhaps many others. has anyone actually spoken on phone with owner/master of AF.com? What do they say? Or through regular email?

Is there a work around that works? I've added openDNS as noted above, and I still can not get to the site. This is quite frustrating. My ISP is ATT/SBC not that that helps?!?!

Whatever the issues are, it is still not up and working in U.S.A. perhaps many others. has anyone actually spoken on phone with owner/master of AF.com? What do they say? Or through regular email?

Is there a work around that works? I've added openDNS as noted above, and I still can not get to the site. This is quite frustrating. My ISP is ATT/SBC not that that helps?!?!

The site admins have been given a prod - we are at their mercy. I'm sure it will be up and running as soon as possible. Don't forget these guys volunteer their services so we must be patient and wait for things to happen. I know MUG UK is on the case....

Still not up yet... last week till now.

Anyone knows MUG UK email address??

Does he needs help?

I had a message from Silver Surfer (as my account got accidentally deleted). He says:

"Hi Darren

Sorry I haven't had time.  And now the site is down 

I hope I'll have the site back up again and get your account back soonish"

It's all in the right hands and we must be patient while it gets sorted. Let's not forget that the admins do this on a volutary basis so it's not fair to push too hard...

Damn thing is still down. The host that A-F is on seems to be a load of rubbish.

Perhaps I should offer to host it for the owner? At leaast I could then access it via BT!

I've spoken to BT (takes days to actually speak to someone in 3rd level support) and they CONFIRM that the HOST (not Atari-Forum) is blacklisted.

This can only mean that the host has been caught hosting seriously illegal content. I would imagine that the host probably knew nothing about it, but it won't stop them getting blasted off the web...

Or they host sites that send out a lot of spam.

hey wonck i think muguk email is mikemee or mike mcgee but hes got a website too

still programming

and was going to tell that guy who wanted to use the blitter to draw lines

(like an amiga) to

lookinto the hisoft basic demo package , they have a source listing for blitter grafics

i know differentily than propossed but still a starting point for his wxploration

charles

Hey Charles.

So you have more time now at hand to do your programming stuff instead of having flames war eh?

Glad that you're still enjoying your programming.

I'm still having a whale of a time mucking about with STFM, looking at my old stuff.

Hope that Atari-forums will be back online soon.

It's all in the right hands and we must be patient while it gets sorted. Let's not forget that the admins do this on a volutary basis so it's not fair to push too hard...

Yeap, I know.

I hope it's as easy as just restoring from the backup. Hope not much damage done.

Is there anything any of us users can do to help???????

Suggestions, Servers, continents, ISp's, contacts, you name it, we can help. I'm sure we're all patience, but we have some wants (needs). Let us help where we can. That site is an almost "holly" site for ST usrs. PLEASE BRING IT BACK TO LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

If not, is there some one that might have a 'backup' they can put up as another site???? at least for reference? Until the Admin's get us back online?

(wongck still need those key caps? have several sets still for sale (yours is still set aside)

Is there anything any of us users can do to help???????

Suggestions, Servers, continents, ISp's, contacts, you name it, we can help. I'm sure we're all patience, but we have some wants (needs). Let us help where we can. That site is an almost "holly" site for ST usrs. PLEASE BRING IT BACK TO LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

If not, is there some one that might have a 'backup' they can put up as another site???? at least for reference? Until the Admin's get us back online?

(wongck still need those key caps? have several sets still for sale (yours is still set aside)

I have PM'd Silver Surfer with the offer - I'm sure he can handle it, just a question of time. But I've let him know there are plenty of helping hands he can call upon.

Cheers

Definitely time for a new webhost when one of the largest UK Atari sites is banned from being accessed by one of the largest UK ISP's. They have to have noticed a traffic slowdown in the maintenance logs recently because of it. It can't be a complete surprise to them that there's a problem.

Edited by OldAtarian

Let's be clear, there appears to be two issues here.

Most fundamentally, the site itself has gone 'pop', somehow the files that comprise the Atari-Forum have vanished from the webserver hosting it. I cannot explain how this has possibly happened but then I'm not familiar with how "250 host" (or whoever they are) manages slices.

Secondly (assuming the first is resolved), there appears to be a filter in place at BT that affects all sites hosted by the same hosting company used by Atari Forum. Some users have reported success with the approach of using OpenDNS in order to circumvent this, however this is clearly far from ideal.

There are other factors to consider here, the most important of which is cost. I'm not sure how much space the AF consumes (database and attachments must consume a lot) but I'd imagine hosting such a site on shall we say. A more 'reputible' host provider will cost serious money to maintain. This puts us in the realms of a subscription model - a scenario that immediately alienates all but the true Atari enthusiasts. We aren't a large community to start with so this is a bad idea.

If anyone here can come forward and categorically state that they can provide hosting for a potentially huge site (must be gigabytes to support all the attachments over the years) and this can be provided for as close to £0 as possible, then please come forward with your offer and I will present it with a strong argument to those who can make it happen.

Edited by Dal_1978

especially since looking at openDNS it also seems to function at a filtering service???

how much disk space are we talking about here? and what software does the forum run on?

how much data transfer per month happens??

these are all questions that need answered before anyone can think of committing to making any hosting offers.

Most fundamentally, the site itself has gone 'pop', somehow the files that comprise the Atari-Forum have vanished from the webserver hosting it. I cannot explain how this has possibly happened but then I'm not familiar with how "250 host" (or whoever they are) manages slices.

Secondly (assuming the first is resolved), there appears to be a filter in place at BT that affects all sites hosted by the same hosting company used by Atari Forum. Some users have reported success with the approach of using OpenDNS in order to circumvent this, however this is clearly far from ideal.

There are other factors to consider here, the most important of which is cost. I'm not sure how much space the AF consumes (database and attachments must consume a lot) but I'd imagine hosting such a site on shall we say. A more 'reputible' host provider will cost serious money to maintain. This puts us in the realms of a subscription model - a scenario that immediately alienates all but the true Atari enthusiasts. We aren't a large community to start with so this is a bad idea.

If anyone here can come forward and categorically state that they can provide hosting for a potentially huge site (must be gigabytes to support all the attachments over the years) and this can be provided for as close to £0 as possible, then please come forward with your offer and I will present it with a strong argument to those who can make it happen.

Edited by tregare

Dal_1978 got in touch this morning by good old telephone to catch up on what's going on.

Unfortunately a weekend away in Germany hasn't helped me much to help others as I wasn't going to risk European data charges by my phone company by getting on FB to ask Silver Surfer to see what was up. From my point of view, and as I've pointed out to Dal this morning, there's *nothing* I can do.

I'm purely 'front of house' when it comes to the forum, so I can look after the place more than fix stuff that goes on in the background.

It will get sorted when it does. Can't offer you timescales or anything such like as to when it'll all be working. By that I mean both problems - a) the forum being down and b) the naff hosting company who seem to have upset so many ISPs.

Good luck with it - and hope to see the forum back as soon as is realistically possible.

Cheers - we're working on it.

Been looking at avenues for the hosting issues with a friend of MUG's today. So the plan is to see if we can arrange for AF to be restored onto a new host and solve both problems at once.... That's the idea anyhow! Time will tell but I'm hopeful we can pull it off.

http://www.free-webhosts.com/free-unlimited-webspace.php