IGNORED

Lynx mascot?

Blarginatorr

Everytime I think about a Lynx mascot, I think about something along the lines of Bubsy (he's in the avatar of an user on the first page, btw)

That would be my avatar. :) Yeh a Bubsy on the Lynx would be cool. And Bobcats do have a strong resemblance to Lynxs.

In the meantime, Blarginatorr, keep drawing your anime woman! It is fun to see what you come up with her.

Edited by doctorclu

In the meantime, Blarginatorr, keep drawing your anime woman! It is fun to see what you come up with her.

Sure, though, I havent really drawn this character for some while now, so I'll just dig my archives.

Here's one that goes more in the "Tecmo/Team Ninja" silly category.

Lynx character trying to be like the rollerskate girl from California games, however, as the Lynx version of that game didnt have the actual Rollerskate game, she isnt too good at skating.

post-24769-129019356276_thumb.jpg

Why not ZAKU? That makes the most sense.

So tell us about Zaku.

You know Zaku the best new Lynx game from Clean Larry and his group. I thought everyone knew what Zaku was. It's filled with great characters that would make AWESOME mascots. That's my vote.

Here's a link: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/151560-zaku-for-the-atari-lynx-official-thread/

Sure, though, I havent really drawn this character for some while now, so I'll just dig my archives.

Here's one that goes more in the "Tecmo/Team Ninja" silly category.

Lynx character trying to be like the rollerskate girl from California games, however, as the Lynx version of that game didnt have the actual Rollerskate game, she isnt too good at skating.

It's a nice anime style drawing, but parents 'back in the day' (and even now) would have freaked over the open zipper in the shorts! :)

It's a nice anime style drawing, but parents 'back in the day' (and even now) would have freaked over the open zipper in the shorts! :)

Haha, true.

Though, even with the zipper closed, the image would still evoke disgust by the parents "back in the day" and now.

Well, put a helmet on her then! ;)

Everytime I think about a Lynx mascot, I think about something along the lines of Bubsy (he's in the avatar of an user on the first page, btw)

Yeah a mascot in the style of Bubsy the Bobcat seems like a natural mascot for the Lynx. Bubsy, Zaku (and Levi the Lynx "my own" creation) are in my opinion a bit too much reminicent of Sonic the Hedgehog.

Imho a pretty good style for a Lynx mascot would be that funny 50s classic american cartoony style. A bit like in the Weird Al video "close but no cigar" by John K (creator of Ren and Stimpy).

, or something like the original Yogi Bear: Yogi Bear- Episode 1 . It would reflect that Atari originally was an U.S. company. Or maybe the mascot should be in the drawing style of Asterix now when Atari is French :) Asterix Cover.

Great drawings Blarginatorr! And pounce is a great character too.

• 1 year later...

I'm sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I have been thinking about this lately and there is some good discussion here about the subject. I also always wondered if there was a mascot character for the Lynx, and if there was why they never made a game about it. I was searching for Atari Lynx stuff on eBay and I came across this auction for a "Rare Atari Lynx Mascot Pin" with a little Lynx character wearing a t-shirt who reminds me a lot of Bubsy the Bobcat. So I did some more searching and found a second pin, this one the same character but the text on his t-shirt was clearer. It says "Lynx Optique" and appears to be unrelated to anything Atari.

So I was wondering, does anyone know who this character is? I think he looks almost perfect for a video game mascot character. In fact I'd like to design a new Lynx mascot platform game and take inspiration from this pin for the main character. I don't think it's too late for a mascot character game, and we've learned a lot over the years about what makes a good platform game and what doesn't quite work.

Here are the two pins so you can see what I'm talking about:

346bbrl.jpg

vwr321.jpg

Another thing I've been thinking about lately is trying to make a Mario Kart-style game for the Lynx. If we were to make such a game, who should the assorted characters be? I think it'd be cool if they were mostly from existing Lynx games, as well as maybe introducing a few of our own new ones (like this new mascot character for example). I can imagine karts with Gordo, Louie and Scraps, Pounce, maybe a character or two from Gauntlet... who else do you guys think would be suitable for a Lynx Karts type game?

• Like 3

Another thing I've been thinking about lately is trying to make a Mario Kart-style game for the Lynx. If we were to make such a game, who should the assorted characters be? I think it'd be cool if they were mostly from existing Lynx games, as well as maybe introducing a few of our own new ones (like this new mascot character for example). I can imagine karts with Gordo, Louie and Scraps, Pounce, maybe a character or two from Gauntlet... who else do you guys think would be suitable for a Lynx Karts type game?

Super Skweek

Todd from Slimeworld

Elvira from from Pinball Jam

The thought of a Lynx mascot never crossed my mind. The game library stood on its own and didn't need one. To me, the "mascot" was the Atari arcade library in a handheld with some ports and original games added for good measure. When I think of the Lynx, I don't think of any one character from any of its games. I'm not sure what purpose a mascot would accomplish at this point but if one were chosen, it would have to be from the most popular game on the system and I'm not sure there is one definitive title that represents the Lynx. And I'm not sure Zaku is a good fit since the character is an amalgamation of two other mascots: Sonic and Zonk.

Much as I am a fan of the female form. I have to disagree with the babe...

Chip from Chip's Challenge??

Bentley Bear really appeals to me even though its a bit of a fail...

One of my all time favourite games is indeed Crystal Castles and the thought of any kind of Jag updates is exciting...

BB's sexy twin sister???? er..... Maybe.....?

Seriously though BB all the way! Hes the dude!!

Edited by dudeydude

• 7 months later...

Most mascots that I am used to are found in platform games, and of all the options among the licensed games for the Atari Lynx, I would have to say that Toki is the best option for a mascot. However, if I expanded the options to the unreleased/canceled games, I would have to agree that Pounce would be the best choice for a Lynx mascot.

Problem with Toki: The game was not a Lynx exclusive. It was in the arcade, on NES and on Genesis too, not to mention home computers. So it doesn't really scream "Lynx" to me. Same goes for Slime World, you can play that on Genesis too.

About philippe's artwork, it is very nice, but: A Lynx mascot should not be manga. One of the Lynx most unique aspects is that it is a western product in an industry that was dominated by japanese machines. Japan did not even care about the Lynx, it sold badly there.

Also, there is so much manga and anime everywhere today that it's getting old. The girl philipe made is cute, but in the end just very genereic manga ans looks no different than lots of other furry girls found in hundreds of manga, save for the Atari shirt. As a mascot back in the day for Atari's japanese marketing, perfect; but for the Lynx today, in general, no.

I'd rather update the design of that pin; or go with something like Levi the Lynx if his game ever is completed.

As for released games I'd nominate Gordo. Sure, he's an ape not a cat, but he's kinda cool and has never graced another platform since.

A Mario-Kart-clone on Lynx would be great; Road Riot4WD shows how excellent it could be dome technically; the Lynx even handles non-flat roads! Take the rocks and stuff from the road, tweak the controls and weapons and you have a great Mario Kart clone. I've been wondering why no Lynx coder has tried that yet, since it seems like an obvious choice. Maybe this is something where the homebrewers could work together on a joint project.

As for characters, disregarding licensing: Gordo, Scrapyard Kid & Dog, a tank from Battlezone 2000, Rygar, Chip, Todd a car from Battlewheels and Zaku come to mind.

• Like 2