IGNORED

7800 XM Labels

PacManPlus

Hi:

A thought just occurred to me. I am guessing we will probably want to identify on the label of the games that are 'XM Only' or something along those lines. Should we have a logo? Should we separately identify what parts of the XM are used? (i.e. a logo for '(S)ound', one for '(H)igh Score Cart' compatibility, and one for '(E)xtended Memory') This way (for instance) the games that don't use the extra memory (i.e. Pac-Man Collection Pokey, Donkey Kong Pokey, Super Circus AtariAge, etc.) will have the 'S' and 'H' logos, but not the 'E' one. GroovyBee's Dungeon! will have all three.

Just a thought, that's all.

Bob

• Like 1

Bob,

You bring up a GREAT point...

Anybody want to jump in and start posting some sample icons that game developers can use to specify XM Compatible

Maybe using the XM designator and then afterwords adding icons for High Score, RAM, Audio (covering both Pokey and Yamaha)

Curt

Hi:

A thought just occurred to me. I am guessing we will probably want to identify on the label of the games that are 'XM Only' or something along those lines. Should we have a logo? Should we separately identify what parts of the XM are used? (i.e. a logo for '(S)ound', one for '(H)igh Score Cart' compatibility, and one for '(E)xtended Memory') This way (for instance) the games that don't use the extra memory (i.e. Pac-Man Collection Pokey, Donkey Kong Pokey, Super Circus AtariAge, etc.) will have the 'S' and 'H' logos, but not the 'E' one. GroovyBee's Dungeon! will have all three.

Just a thought, that's all.

Bob

How about these? They're only super-quick label mockups, but perhaps they'll give somebody some ideas.

xm_enhanced.png

xm_required.png

I should probably shrink the logo a little bit to make the circles and other text larger and more visible; I'll work on that later.

(By the way, the three indicators "H", "M", and "S" stand for "High Score Cartridge", "(expanded) Memory", and "(expanded) Sound").

• Like 5

This is true. Of course there will have to be some kind of designation on games designed for the 7800XM.

Jaybird3rd, those look nice! Definitely a fitting theme.

Here is something I put together. All just miniscule variations of the same idea. Nothing groundbreaking. Just playing off Jaybird3rd's general concept. But it seemed like still a natural start. :)

post-16393-128874180988_thumb.jpg

post-16393-128874182691_thumb.jpg

post-16393-128874183665_thumb.jpg

post-16393-128874184625_thumb.jpg

post-16393-128874185426_thumb.jpg

post-16393-128874186412_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Ah, so we're talking about new cartridge labels! I thought we were simply talking about labels (or logos) that would be added to the packaging; I designed mine to be something that would fit in a corner of the box (probably in the lower-left corner). I do like the designs PAC-MAN PRIME has done for the labels.

I don't know if it's necessary or not, but if we're going to design new labels and packaging based on the original designs, perhaps it would be a good idea to take the "Atari" name off of them, unless Atari Inc. doesn't object to the use of their name. One way to do that without ruining the original design would be to make the "7800" larger, like in the quick mockups I posted earlier.

One other thought: instead of using a flat gray for the cartridge label background, as the Tramiel-era originals did, perhaps a "brushed metal" pattern could be used, especially since the XM will be including an authentic brushed metal faceplate. I found one graphic after a quick search which might make a suitable background (and I'm sure there are many others):

brushed-metal.jpg

Maybe the new labels could look like that proto label on Ms. Pac-Man cart. I mean Curt's motif seems to be going for the old style. Some minor changes to the old carts could replace "ATARI 7800 Prosystem" to Pac-Man Primes logo.

Edited by Bakasama

Maybe the new labels could look like that proto label on Ms. Pac-Man cart. I mean Curt motif seems to be going for the old style. Some minor changes to the old carts could replace "ATARI 7800 Prosystem" to Pac-Man Primes logo.

That's a good idea, too. I like the original 1984 label designs better than the later ones.

Great label Pac-man Prime!

There's one thing I need to point out about my pokey edition that I don't believe has been discussed in the PMC-Pokey thread. I had to remove the original TIA generated sounds to make space for the POKEY code. So if the game is burned to a non-Pokey cart, it will only work with the XM. Without the XM, there will be no sound, so this would technically be an "XM required" game. I could throw the TIA code back in so it would work with or without the XM, but it would bump the ROM requirement from 32k to 48k. I'm not sure what that would mean in terms of cartidge cost or parts availability.

There needs to be some discussion on how this will be released and if needed, I could add the TIA stuff back in.

Perry

Edited by tep392

This whole XM thing is really giving me momentary reversions to my 10 year old self. This is exactly the kind of stuff I would stare at in a catalog for hours while watching tv, just dreaming about what's coming down the road. I'd also be plotting my begging strategy to use against my parents.

XM is going to be a lot of fun.

• Like 2

The label in post #19 looks great. The only thing I don't like is the purple 7800. It just doesn't look 7800 to me. I really feel like it should be dark red/maroon like in post #10. Anyway, awesome job!

I really like jaybird's method of showing what features of the XM are used. Combining that with parts of PAC-MAN PRIME's design would be just about perfect.

Edited by KevinMos3