IGNORED

Jaguar Unreleased Games Thread

The_Laird

Probably committing acardinal sin by digging up such an old thread but, as part of my research forST Gamer etc, various interviews carried out, i can clear up confusion on some of those titles:

Thallion:Never had ANY Jaguar projects planned.

Heart Of Darkness:Atari wanted as flagship CD game, but were out-bid when Phillips put game up for grabs, so they never secured the game to start with.

Waterworld:Never started (interviewed certain person for ST Gamer, he talks about this and how difficult Quake and Tomb Raider would have been on Jaguar and why.Don't want to name him till mag hits retail, as it's an exclusive interview, plus Tomb Raider started out during Sega CD era, put on hold astechnology could'nt meet demmands).

JezSan told EDGE magazine years ago Argonaught never did any Jaguar projects and my source (again it'll be in ST Gamer interview) says all that was done was generic FMV was converted to a format Jag CD could read and they tested data transfer on the unit.

No real game coding ever started.

• Like 1

Falcon was annouced, yes, as to question regarding any coding actually being started....

Gunship 2000, at best would have been CD32 conversion, i did track down coder of that version, but he never replied to my email about Jaguar version.

Magic Carpet, very early code seen of CD32 and A1200 versions (A1200 has no texture mapping etc) but nothing ever seen of Jag version, so i call that proposal only.

Robocop:Given the person who made this list thinks the ST version is an authentic port of the Data East coin-op (which it's not, it takes concepts from coin-op and home versions), i'd question that claim :-)

Thunderhawk:started out on 32X, switched to Saturn/PS1.

Hoping to speak to few Jaguar coders over next few weeks.Will update if any more details come to light.

But this def.list needs updating.

• Like 1

I'm still at a loss to understand why Atari Corp didn't port Tengen's Sega Genesis port of Gauntlet to the Jag. That would've sold some Team Taps for sure!

And just imagine if they would've tweaked it to support 8-players! That would've been unique.

Did Telegames ever give any info about their game Thunderstalker?, since they have been around the Jag comunity for so long, one would think someone would have asked them for info about that one.

As a kid, back in the day, i really wished that Zodiac Fighters would turn out to be a game with the Saint Seiya anime license, hehe.

Dantes Inferno, that license could have made for a kick ass act/adv game, just use the awesome Highlander engine!!!!!

The Cleansing: Starring Bill Donahue - Band In The Box Entertainment, isnt that a hoax?, i remember The Cleansing being an inside joke on the "Game Players" videogame magazine, which had a Bill Donahue as its editor, isnt it related to it?

The couple screenshots i have seen of ZZyorxx II look gorgeous, i wish there was more media of that game.

I dont see Stellar X on that list, a vertical shooter that was in development by Olivier Nallet, of Super Burnout fame. Or did it receive another name?

Didnt Eclipse Software, developers of the Iron Soldier games, at one point announce a pinball game for the Jaguar?

Oh, and i have always wanted to ask the developers of Bubsy 3D for the Playstation, if that game started development as a Jaguar game, since it looks more like a Jaguar title than Playstation!

Edited by sd32

There was big article on Telegames in recent issue of Retrogamer magazine and i had hoped Telegames would at the very least annouce a few of these 'mystery' Jaguar projects they were sat on, even if code had been lost.It would have been nice to know just what games they had secured so we could at least confirm certain games as being true 'Lost' games, rather than just games publishers talked about bringing to the Jaguar (Waterworld) or Atari wanted (Creature Shock, Heart Of Darkness etc) but never secured.

Sadly despite Telegames mentioning at least twice they had said 'mystery' games, they never even annouced 1 new bit of information.Very dissapointing.I really do not understand this-why not just say we had X, Y and Z they were around X amount complete, we were never going to finish them or we were but code now lost.
It'd clear up so much miss-information regarding 'Lost' Jaguar games.

The Miss-Information around 'Lost' Jaguar games was primarily the reason i set off trying to contact coders, dig out interviews with them in magazines etc to try and build a much bigger, truer picture of just how far along so many of these games actually got.

It's hardly 'fair' to slap up video footage from the Saturn version of Waterworld/PS1 version of Allegiance/3DO version of Powerslide etc and imply that Jaguar owners could have been playing something very similar to this...if only.

For starters my source said he only recals talking with Ocean about Waterworld on Jaguar, it never got beyond that (and which Ocean team would have handled the Jaguar version? versions that did appear went to different team as was.) The 3D sections in Saturn Waterworld were coded specifically for Saturn hardware, Jaguar version would have had a major issue trying to match.

The 3DO has far better texture-mapping than the Jaguar, so doubtful Powerslide would have looked anything as 'nice' as 3DO footage.

(sigh) having to multi-post as I.E won't let me sign in on Atari Age, Grrr....

Tomb Raider Jag CD often rolled out, yes it appeared in bonus magazine given away with EDGE magazine, but would it have appeared on Jaguar in anything like the form we know?

Of course not, Playstation/Saturn versions alone had cosmetic differences, my source said they used OpenGL for 3D and there was nothing like Open-GL on Jaguar and you've only to look at frame-rates on games that attempted full-screen texture-mapping.

ATD talked of how Atari had tried this on an internal project and how the frame rate took a massive nose-dive, hence Battllemorph had limited texture mapping.

As for Quake....yes, i've read the issue of Ultimate Future Games (had full set of the rags once, but threw them out) claiming it was 30-40% complete, yes i've read interviews with I.D where they talk of Doom being optimised if coded from scratch, Jaguar hardware used to full potential, but Quake is whole new ball game.

I put the question to my source (see upcoming ST Gamer for full reveal) of wether Quake was really 'possible' on Jaguar, his reply:

' The big hurdle to overcome for Quake (as well as Tomb Raider) would have

been the lack of a texture-mapping 3D library.

Having such a library would take development of the game from 0% to

about

70% in one jump, so someone saying QUAKE was 30-40% done sounds like

they were talking about someone working on a library, not so much the game

itself.'

Plus if you compare Beta versions of Saturn Quake to retail version, you'll see comprimises Lobotomy had to make to ensure game ran at a decent speed, so i struggle to see how Jaguar would have coped.

Probably committing acardinal sin by digging up such an old thread but, as part of my research forST Gamer etc, various interviews carried out, i can clear up confusion on some of those titles:

An old thread isn't necessarily so much of an issue.

Digging up a joke of a 'knowledge' thread, started by a flaming imbecile however probably isn't the best idea.

• Like 3

If the information is better off in a new thread, please delete my post's and i'll create a new one.

My intention was just to update the status of some of the bigger name Jaguar titles that were annouced.Took me a fair few cracks to find a source who knew much on anything bar Creature Shock...(that itself easy enough to answer, so many sources had said Atari wanted it, but soon as i read old interview in Edge with Jez where he stated he never did any Jaguar projects as format was too risky, i knew it was unlikely to be more than test footage on Jag CD dev.kits, had 3 seperate sources confirm Atari wanted it, could'nt do it themselves and test footage of the FMV was done on Jaguar.) Edges look at Creature shock alone explained game was designed to be do-able on any ssytem powerful enough to handle the data-transfer rate, but it was nice to know just how 'far' testing had gotten.

Hold on THIS was posted Nov'2010:

Freelancer 2010 CD - Imagitec.It's BLUE so finished but lost?

I wrote to Imagitec (via Ultimate Future Games and i had similar letter in Gamesmaster magazine, Gamesmaster one was letter of the month in fact and blagged me a free game!), regarding what had happened to it, they replied, (i have mag scan on me bloody hard drive) and told myself and the magazines readership that the game had been SCRAPPED (in terms of development on Jaguar) in Mid'95 and project was re-designed and overhauled for Playstation 1.

So how did it suddenly become finished and lost? the information that it was scrapped and where it was headed was out in 2 UK mags.

An old thread isn't necessarily so much of an issue.

Digging up a joke of a 'knowledge' thread, started by a flaming imbecile however probably isn't the best idea.

You do know he claims - on Facebook - he was banned from AtariAge due to people [allegedly] being homophobes here right? He'd cite the flaming comment as an example of that.

Edited by Lynxpro

If the information is better off in a new thread, please delete my post's and i'll create a new one.

My intention was just to update the status of some of the bigger name Jaguar titles that were annouced.Took me a fair few cracks to find a source who knew much on anything bar Creature Shock...(that itself easy enough to answer, so many sources had said Atari wanted it, but soon as i read old interview in Edge with Jez where he stated he never did any Jaguar projects as format was too risky, i knew it was unlikely to be more than test footage on Jag CD dev.kits, had 3 seperate sources confirm Atari wanted it, could'nt do it themselves and test footage of the FMV was done on Jaguar.) Edges look at Creature shock alone explained game was designed to be do-able on any ssytem powerful enough to handle the data-transfer rate, but it was nice to know just how 'far' testing had gotten.

We could have this thread locked and then just copy the pertinent info over to the new thread. Just a thought.

What is one more lie in a long string of lies, right?

You do know he claims - on Facebook - he was banned from AtariAge due to people [allegedly] being homophobes here right? He'd cite the flaming comment as an example of that.

• Like 3

He was banned because he had a nasty habit of being two-faced and talking badly about others behind their backs. He particularly liked to vent his feelings in locked-down, private forums and geared a lot of hate towards specific admins of the public forums he was a part of (AtariAge, Jaguar Sector, etc). Of course, when wind of that got out, that was pretty much the end of his account here as far as I can tell. It's safe to say he had already been digging his own hole here for a while by that point anyway.

• Like 7

The Miss-Information around 'Lost' Jaguar games was primarily the reason i set off trying to contact coders, dig out interviews with them in magazines etc to try and build a much bigger, truer picture of just how far along so many of these games actually got.

It's hardly 'fair' to slap up video footage from the Saturn version of Waterworld/PS1 version of Allegiance/3DO version of Powerslide etc and imply that Jaguar owners could have been playing something very similar to this...if only.

For starters my source said he only recals talking with Ocean about Waterworld on Jaguar, it never got beyond that (and which Ocean team would have handled the Jaguar version? versions that did appear went to different team as was.) The 3D sections in Saturn Waterworld were coded specifically for Saturn hardware, Jaguar version would have had a major issue trying to match.

The 3DO has far better texture-mapping than the Jaguar, so doubtful Powerslide would have looked anything as 'nice' as 3DO footage.

Speaking of Waterworld, ex-Atari Inc/Tengen coder Steve Woita worked on the VirtuaBoy and Saturn versions of it. He'd be the person to ask about the Jaguar version; either he'd know a bit about it or know the people who were supposedly working on it… He's also on Facebook and is an active user. He states in the interview below that the Saturn version was finished but the whole thing was cancelled when everyone's favorite Infogrames bought Ocean out and scrapped the title:

http://www.gooddealgames.com/interviews/int_woita.html

Other people have mentioned Gunship 2000 in posts earlier and, well, Microprose also became part of Infogrames… Of course, their transition to becoming part of Hasbro Interactive first might've caused the loss of the Jaguar version.

@Nuclear Pacman:Totally agree you've every right to question what i claim.Only reason i'm not naming my source yet...is it was 1 of 5 people from the industry that i was lucky enough to interview for ST Gamer.

Since 3 of these people have never been interviewed in likes of Retro Gamer magazine, i've been asked to keep the info under wraps until the magazine hits in sept.

You can find the Jez San interview in EDGE magazine a few years back, Edge asked him if he ever developed any games on Jaguar, he replied no, they knew when not to take a risk. 2 Ex-Atari sources i interviewed for ST Gamer admit Atari wanted Creature Shock, but Jez San was difficult to pin down, Atari did'nt have the money to write game itself and i interviewed guy who converted the video files to Jag format.

Ask Albert who i am..he's been given a list of references.

Actually it's the very reason that as Nuclear Pacman (rightly states) that ' anyone can claim anything'...that i've invested so much time in looking into these lost games claims across ALL Atari Formats (if you look at my 7800 posts you'll see i name magazines which made claims, which issue etc and warn to take say btake these claims and Lynx game claims with big pinch of salt.

I'd turn the paranoia around slightly-If i can track down the coders just using a search engine on the Xbox 360 I.E and a Gmail account, so could anyone else, before claiming games were X amount finished etc.

I'm also the guy that had his Freelancer 2120 question answered by Imagitec themselves in Ult.Future Games and got Star Letter in Gamesmaster magazine for asking same question.I can email you over the Ult.Future games scan....

I'll happily provide proof for ALL my claims on here.

Actually looking at bigger picture (and i've brought this up with Albert) 1 reason people like myself are 'newbies' and have low post counts, could well be some of the reactions we get, when we do try our humble best to provide solid answers or updates to the question of'What ever happened to...?' most replies have been great, people thanked me for Chronicles Of Cute, Technocop etc, which is great, it makes you feel part of the community and you've helped said community.

The flipside of who the hell are you/i think you ***** under a new user name, not so helpful and makes posters like myself think, maybe the info.should go else where or i'll not bother sharing it.

It's your forum guys, i'm just passing through, but it's worth asking yourselves sometimes why your not seeing new blood, new information.

Just some food for thought, it's not put me off posting....

Still people want sources:well this one won't hurt as it's not in the magazine:

Thallion:I spoke to Alexander Holland, months ago, long before i started interviewing people, just a general email, he told me Thallion had NO Jaguar games planned, No Second Prize II for Falcon, yes.

Moving swiftly on :-)

@Lynxpro:I managed to track down CD32 coder of Gunship 2000 via his P.R agent (suppose i'll have to name colour of socks he waswearing to validate me claims at this rate :-) ) who passed my questions and email details onto him, said he'd reply..never did (sob, story of my life...)

Waterworld-Ocean seemed to hand out to different companies for different versions, i seem to recal System 3 getting MD/SNES versions (in contact with them at present, but still no sign of an interview) and i know Playstation version popped up in Playstation Plus, think (Interplay?) had said it was being taken back to the drawing board for Re-working.

My old mans a dustman, he wears a dustmans hat, he farted through the keyhole....

See? anyone can post anything, you guys are right.The above is an utter lie, my old mans happily retired, never been on the bins....

Basically guys, ease of the kool-aid or what ever, just because your getting fresh information and i promised i'd keep my contacts under wraps forafew weeks more, does'nt mean we need the Witch finder general here, does it?

I dunno, you guys......

:-)