IGNORED

BASIC on CART Contest (BoCC)

Opry99er

It'll be a blast... Let's see what we can do with the barest of bones. :) you buy a console and a tape recorder... :) Grab the Users manual or BASIC manual (on our resources thread) from your TI box and start coding!!! Both are excellent resources for BASIC and are available here. :).

This is how I got started 2 years ago. Silver and black and a yellow and green users manual. :)

Edited by Opry99er

By the way--- if you take a picture of you coding your game on real iron, you get extra credit. :)

gotta pass on the extra credit then, after programming in a real editor, I can't go back to console line entry. I did some programming on the console for my proplay gamepad and really don't want to go back there, lol.

Hey Bones--- this is your first programming contest, isn't it? I don't recall if you entered Willsy's contest yet and I know you didn't submit with the RGPC or the SSGC....

These contests are fun, man. Some people start threads talking about their games, show off screenshots... Some people like to keep their games under wraps til the end. However you choose to go, it's alot of fun. There's alot of talent here and everyone gets into the hack talk. Marc Hull started a "Sh** talking" thread for the SSGC. Hilarious, man. :)

Anyway, glad you're going to enter... TI BASIC is a cool language... InfernalKeith has had some very awesome ideas for TI BASIC games and I hope he comes back to them for this contest. He is a very creative thinker with his games... He took home the prize in the first contest we had here, the RGPC (retroclouds game programming contest).

;)

A few points...

• TI BASIC is really slow. It is not designed for fast action gaming. Focus on turn-based games over fast arcade action. At the least, keep your number of objects moving to a maximum of three
  • There is no command to display text anywhere on screen. Focus on display updates that use symbols and graphics over text
  • You got two extra character sets in BASIC over Extended BASIC. Use 'em!
  • While you can USE cassette to store data files (Not Polyoptics Hordes game did this), let's not get into that with this contest. Keep all the data local
  • Color set changes are probably the best way to have the ILLUSION if not the reality of speed

As a rules addendum, let's allow for key commands or instructions to be kept OUTSIDE the game itself. You are not required to provide in-game instructions or on-screen controls. Old BASIC games usually came with decent instructions and manuals so that the code could focus solely on the game.

Adamantyr

Dammit. Bastards. I hate you all. Don't you know how easily I'm distracted???

colorjourney.jpg

Basically (heh) trying to avoid speed issues by manipulating the color of character sets, while our intrepid hero tries to make his way down to the bottom of the screen. I'm still playing with the gameplay rules, but a lot of it will involve avoiding certain colors, and using a few precious powerups to manipulate small areas around you.

I imagine Adam was hoping for a more artful use of all the character sets, but I'm using them, all the way up to 16. :)

Sigh... now I'm what, four layers deep into unfinished projects? Dammit!

Remember when you were a kid, complaining about how cold or hot the house was, and your parents would say "go outside for a while and then come back in here, you'll appreciate it!" Imagine what a quantum technological leap Extended BASIC is gonna feel like after you code this thing.

He he, that's a good one. :lol:

How much slower is TI Basic then (compared to XB) ?

Judging guidelines:

*Games will be judged in three categories:

-Graphics (I want pretty games) :)

-Gameplay (game MUST perform well on real hardware)

-Speed (let's prove that TI BASIC isn't molasses)

So I could go and design a 2K game with this contest ?

Never did do anything close to 14K. Is it not so that it starts to trip on itself. The garbage collector kicks in every split second and what's more. Like still seen so often with web servers and PCs, when too many requests come in/applications are running/starting, then things can really start to go down hill.

:)

How much slower is TI Basic then (compared to XB) ?

It's not too bad.. XB without 32k is only slightly faster, and XB with 32k barely faster again. For most apps you don't see a lot of difference.

I only had the console and cassette player for the first 7 years.. wrote a lot of TI BASIC games. Sadly they were pretty much all lost in a big move where my tapes didn't make it. :/ Even so, I don't think I did much revolutionary there...

Okay guys--- First prize is....

Your game will be put on cartridge and the winner shall receive (3) cartridges of his game. I had to wait to announce until this had been tested to make sure it was possible in application, and I know for a fact that it works now. :) Cartridges will come with nice color label and will be installed into a black cartridge case.

As an aside, there will be 6 cartridges made... Bill Gaskill and Jim Fetzner will receive a copy (TI historians and cartridge collectors) and I plan to keep a copy as well. As the winner of the contest, you will receive the bin files required to make your own cartridges out of your game in case you wanted to distribute them.

I haven't thought of second and third prizes yet...

Anyway, good luck on the contest, guys. I look forward to seeing what happens here...

Uhoh... Damn that's an attractive offer... :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I am now thinking that the same game that wins the crap game competition could win this one... :?:

Badum-bump. But seriously folks... So - since we're cartridge-izing - I guess that means the game still needs to be playable at regular speed...

I now need an idea...

-H