IGNORED

TI BASIC Game: Aperture

adamantyr

? Eh?!

You can place portals by holding down the fire button and tapping a joystick direction. The portal will appear on that wall if it's the right kind of wall. After you place the other portal and walk into one of them (obviously, placement is key), you will come out of the other portal.

...lee

Nice game, and reasonably playable using standard TI BASIC. For what it's worth, APERTURE compiles just fine, although it is too fast to be playable. It needs delay loops to get the action slowed down to a reasonable level. If you want to do this, you can simplify the testing by transferring a delay value into the compiled program by reading it off the screen using GCHAR(1,1,D). Add a line to the BASIC PROGRAM for the GCHAR and then FOR/NEXT delay loops as needed. You might have to multiply D by some value to get a longer delay then 255. Then to the compiled program add:

1 CALL HCHAR(1,1,D)

When a compiled program runs it does not clear the screen, so D will be at 1,1 for the compiled program to read.

gallery_34177_1071_63207.gif

I compiled APERTURE without any difficulties except that it ran much too fast to be playable. I used RXB to test it out because it allows character sets 15 and 16. You have to do CALL FILES(1) before loading APERTURE and then it runs just fine out of RXB. Then the usual drill to compile it. To slow things down I added a call sound to line 2720 which slows down the falling animation (remember we are now using XB so multi statement lines are OK). The main loop starts at line 1120 where there is a CALL KEY then a CALL JOYST. I changed all the lines that pointed to 1120 to be 1115 instead, then added line 1115 which was just a call sound. In retrospect, I think I could have added the CALL SOUND to line 1120 and avoided all the other changes. In the zipped folder is APERTURE-C which is the compiled version, also APERTURE which is the modified version that can be compiled. (If you want to run the XB version APERTURE be sure to do a CALL FILES(1). I'm sure that more timing adjustments will be needed...

APERTURE-C.zip

Edited by senior_falcon
  • Like 2

gallery_34177_1071_63207.gif

I compiled APERTURE without any difficulties except that it ran much too fast to be playable. I used RXB to test it out because it allows character sets 15 and 16. You have to do CALL FILES(1) before loading APERTURE and then it runs just fine out of RXB. Then the usual drill to compile it. To slow things down I added a call sound to line 2720 which slows down the falling animation (remember we are now using XB so multi statement lines are OK). The main loop starts at line 1120 where there is a CALL KEY then a CALL JOYST. I changed all the lines that pointed to 1120 to be 1115 instead, then added line 1115 which was just a call sound. In retrospect, I think I could have added the CALL SOUND to line 1120 and avoided all the other changes. In the zipped folder is APERTURE-C which is the compiled version, also APERTURE which is the modified version that can be compiled. I'm sure that more timing adjustments will be needed...

RXB allows you to do a CALL FILES and NEW and RUN in same command:

100 CALL XBPGM("DSK1.APERTURE-C",1) ! This line does a CALL FILES(1) :: NEW :: RUN "DSK1.APETURE-C"

But does not work?????

Strange if you already have run the program a second time you have to reset the TI?

Edited by RXB

But does not work?????

Strange if you already have run the program a second time you have to reset the TI?

I don't understand whether that is a question or a statement. Maybe it wasn't clear that the CALL FILES is only needed for the XB program, and not for the compiled one. I just downloaded what I posted and it runs fine in RXB. (RUN "DSK1.APERTURE-C")

I don't understand whether that is a question or a statement. Maybe it wasn't clear that the CALL FILES is only needed for the XB program, and not for the compiled one. I just downloaded what I posted and it runs fine in RXB. (RUN "DSK1.APERTURE-C")

I made a mistake CALL XBPGM("DSK1.APETURE",1) it locked up Classic99?

Did not look to see it required Assembly support. My mistake.

Nice work compiling it, although I can't promise it's going to be playable at higher levels when timing is critical. On at least one level you have to just use your gut instinct to jump at JUST the right moment so an energy ball passes beneath you.

Adamantyr

Did a little more work, including adding an option to choose your level. Otherwise I would never get to see the higher levels. There are a few more timing issues to work out. The energy balls are not visible (too fast) and need a delay put in. The good news is that I figured out how to get past level 5!!!

• Like 1

Did a little more work, including adding an option to choose your level. Otherwise I would never get to see the higher levels. There are a few more timing issues to work out. The energy balls are not visible (too fast) and need a delay put in. The good news is that I figured out how to get past level 5!!!

I got kicked out of my elementary Apple lab for making similar changes to Oregon Trail to make it easier to finish the game. Actually, what I got in trouble for was performing these modifications for other students for nominal fees.

• Like 1

The last level (16) may not be winnable... I think I was relying upon a particular set of physics to be workable that aren't working. I really need to get in and fix it!

Adamantyr

I've done a little adjusting on the compiled version of Aperture. I think it works pretty well at this time. There were a few nested arrays that crashed the program at level 6. Those are fixed and I think the sounds are pretty close now. In attached folder. APERTURE is the XB program and APERTURE-C is the compiled program.

I found a bug in level 6-if you push a block down the stairs you can then push it to the left across the wire and go directly to the door. This happens in the BASIC program and compiled as well.

(Edit) Level 8 crashes-I will find out why. All other levels from 1 to 11 work fine with nice snappy response. I think this is pretty much debugged once level 8 works.

APERTURE-C713.zip

Edited by senior_falcon
  • Like 1

I found the error that crashed level 8. The compiler is a bit more fussy about how FOR/NEXT loops are set up. In BASIC and XB you can get away with stuff like this:

10 FOR I=1 TO 5

20 PRINT I

30 NEXT I

40 FOR I=50 TO 55

50 PRINT I

60 GOTO 30

70 NEXT I

One line in APERTURE was going to the wrong NEXT statement which worked fine in BASIC but not in the compiled version. To compile properly every FOR has a NEXT following the FOR. If you need to GOTO a NEXT you must go to the right one. So line 60 above should be GOTO 70 which is the proper NEXT in the loop.

I believe APERTURE-C in the attached folder should work properly. It seems OK up to level 11. Adamantyr, since you know how to solve the puzzles could you check that levels 11 to 16 work as expected. BTW, line 1 of the compiled program is CALL HCHAR(1,1,128) and you can make the 128 larger (up to 255) to slow the action down.

APERTURE-C714.zip

hi I download the aperture zip and installed into dsk1 file in the classic 99 emulator and open basic and type the old "dsk1.aperture" run cammand and it said the memory is full in 100 what does that mean?

You have to do a CALL FILES(1) to make enough room. It will also run in RXB. After running APERTURE in BASIC or RXB, try APERTURE-C in post 173 to see the difference.