IGNORED

Rarity of Picture Label Flag Capture (1986 Version)

SpendTooMuchOnAtari

I'm curious if anyone else thinks that the picture label variation of Flag Capture is a bit harder to find than a Rarity 5? Usually on ebay and on the second hand market, games like Crazy Climber, Waterworld, Chase the Chuck Wagon seem to be rather pletiful. I do realize that the demand for a label variation of a game that can be had as a Text Label at a very reasonable price.

I also realize that I have one for sale and this really isn't an attempt to get mine to sell because I could go either way as I like the label. So, if mine sells for my asking price, all good and if not, no worries. Here is a pic of mine:

post-4103-128988675525_thumb.jpg

It's not that hard to acquire. Rarity 5, maybe 6, is about right. Of the four picture label carts available only as Atari, Corp. variants, Flag capture is the easiest to acquire (Blackjack is the hardest). A relative lack of demand explains why this Flag Capture variant isn't routinely seen in single cart auctions like the other games you mentioned are. However, it shows up frequently enough in larger lots. In fact, whatever value one might think it's rarity should command, it's that lack of demand that really dictates the value of this variant. Honestly, I think you'll be hard pressed to get your asking price on this one. Even Atari2600.com's premium pricing on this one isn't as high.

BTW, there are actually two variants of this label--the one you have here, and one with black tape covering "Use with Paddle Controllers".

What do you think is a fair price to someone interested in this one?

Also, do you think the black tape version or the "error" version with the black would demand more of a premium? Or, doesn't really matter since it's not a cart variation that isn't in much demand in the fist place?

Thanks for your thoughts! :thumbsup:

It's not that hard to acquire. Rarity 5, maybe 6, is about right. Of the four picture label carts available only as Atari, Corp. variants, Flag capture is the easiest to acquire (Blackjack is the hardest). A relative lack of demand explains why this Flag Capture variant isn't routinely seen in single cart auctions like the other games you mentioned are. However, it shows up frequently enough in larger lots. In fact, whatever value one might think it's rarity should command, it's that lack of demand that really dictates the value of this variant. Honestly, I think you'll be hard pressed to get your asking price on this one. Even Atari2600.com's premium pricing on this one isn't as high.

BTW, there are actually two variants of this label--the one you have here, and one with black tape covering "Use with Paddle Controllers".

Flag Capture picture label is not only available as Atari Corp. This version is very rare. Atarimania lists it as an R10.

flag_capture_color_cart.jpg

What do you think is a fair price to someone interested in this one?

Also, do you think the black tape version or the "error" version with the black would demand more of a premium? Or, doesn't really matter since it's not a cart variation that isn't in much demand in the fist place?

Thanks for your thoughts! :thumbsup:

Price is always a hard thing to settle on. Personally, I think it's worth no more than $10, maybe $6-8. You might find someone willing to pay a little more for it though.

As far as the black tape version goes, while I've seen fewer of that variant, my feeling is along the lines of it not mattering because the demand isn't there in the first place.

Flag Capture picture label is not only available as Atari Corp. This version is very rare. Atarimania lists it as an R10.

Indeed. I'm usually the one who points out this fact. Don't know why I forgot to mention it here. :dunce:

Of course, there's only one known copy of that one, so the Atari, Corp. picture label is a de facto exclusive anyway.

flag_capture_color_cart.jpg

Wow, that is one neat looking cart. Would love to find that one, I've never seen or heard of it before. Thanks for the pic man! :thumbsup: