IGNORED

Holiday Season Craptacular

VectorGamer

I couldn't participate because there were too many activities an new toys to play with. I think you should to the opposite for these big holidays. Just one game over a two week period, and let folks do the holiday thing.

I couldn't participate because there were too many activities an new toys to play with. I think you should to the opposite for these big holidays. Just one game over a two week period, and let folks do the holiday thing.

I think the only change is to delay the start of the tournament to about December 27 or 28 and have it conclude one week after New Year's Day...

Are you playing the three minute timed variation of Centipede?

I have a timer and at three minutes I stop and look at my score. That's what the three minute variation is, or is it something else? If it's not, just remove my scores.

The MAME ROM has a built-in timer that counts down so I wasn't sure if there was a dip switch on your board that could be selected.

So, we'll have to remove your score to keep things even.

The MAME ROM has a built-in timer that counts down so I wasn't sure if there was a dip switch on your board that could be selected.

Hmmmm, seems like a double standard (can't play arcade only games that are not available in MAME) but okay. :?

This game can be played because there does exist a Centipede board with a 3 minute timer. Barring this game from being played in the HSC based on its rarity would set a precedent and open a can of worms of whether future games should be included based on rarity.

Additionally, we have to make sure that the ROMs and PCBs being played are equal and at the same dip switch settings. From there, the player can customize the controls any way they see fit. Once an exception is made, then exceptions will then have to be considered in the future for like circumstances.

I think what does come out of this is we as a group need to compile a list of games that are not eligible to be played in the HSC. The games should be available to play in both MAME and Arcade formats without consideration to the game's rarity. Games like Monaco GP and Death Race come to mind since they cannot be emulated. I believe that this list should be compiled into post #1 in the Game Requests thread with a pointer to it in the HSC Rules thread post #1.

I think maybe next season the tournament's should be shorted to 5 games over a 2 week period to give people more time to play. :)

To me the two weeks that was spent playing the Halloween tournament was too long. I think the right combination is 1-1/2 weeks and 10 games. I think this is equivalent to playing a live tournament when you have three days to play 15 games. So, when you factor in that we have lives, I think 1-1/2 weeks for 10 games is the sweet spot.

With this being the first Xmas tournament of the HSC and as a result being uncharted territory, I believe that starting the tourney around the 27th or 28th and concluding January 8th would be a viable option next season.

What do you think about while a tournament is going on we don't play the regular one game every week?

What I like about continuing the weekly games during a tournament is it allows us to play games that are not as popular. This may be subjective but I have a hunch that the HSC would be better scheduling a game like Zoo Keeper as the game of the week and Astro Invader during tournament weeks.

Perhaps keep these special tournaments separate from the weekly?

I'm assuming you mean the same as roadrunner as far as scheduling?

What I do with the HSC and live tournaments is play each game three times, take the best score and submit them. That way I qualify for the tournament (e.g. Funspot) or in the case of the HSC I am guaranteed points on every game. Then for the duration of the tournament I'm just bumping up my scores.

I think most of the HSCs do one game every two weeks which I think is too long and gets stale. This HSC has been once a week since its inception and I think that keeps this HSC fresh.

So, in my mind we cannot abolish the weekly HSC games since we cannot change the rules mid-season. It's also been documented that the tournaments augment and not replace the weekly HSC. The number of tournaments for the season have also been documented and therefore they cannot be abolished either.

What has not been written is the length of time and number of games per tournament so there is some flexibility there.

But, I have to ask - has this been an issue with all tournaments or just this one because of scheduling conflicts? I'd rather do a tweak instead of a forklift upgrade where possible.

^^^ I'd like to see the tourny shorted to 5 games next season. I think 10 games in 10 days is a bit much and we've been playing some of the same games over and over like Tempest and timed Centipede.

Those are games voted on by the players and the lineup could have been all inaugural games but it didn't pan out that way. I was looking at the other HSCs over the past few weeks and each one I looked at had repeat plays over time.

When you look at this HSC's Scoreboard you'll see the majority of the games have only been played once. There are exceptions like Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong 3, Galaga '88 and the two you mentioned among others. The upside to repeat plays is that others who have started playing within the last year or so have an opportunity to play these games versus if there were just once and done.

That's one of the benefits of having the tournaments. Along with that is playing titles like Starship 1 or Guided Missile that normally would not been played during an HSC week or just not met with a warm reception (Eagle from season 2 comes to mind). There are also cases where players are exposed to games they may have never played before (as you commented on Bomb Bee being a fun pinball breakout game) whether they are good or bad.

Lastly on a different topic in the event it comes into question: if you look at the player request queue some people have four requests filled while others may have one or two. While I strive to maintain a rotation of player requests, at the same time I try to schedule games that would be more suitable for tournament weeks while others may be able to stand on their own for an HSC week. On top of that, I'm trying to strike a balance between titles from the Golden Era and games from the "next era." So, if there is any question regarding the imbalance in the player requests at this time I'm not concerned about it because it will balance out by season's end. I myself have only two requests fulfilled so far this season.

So, if I understand it correctly the proposal is 5 games for 1-1/2 weeks or 10 games in two weeks?

And just for 5h1t5 and grins, here are the stats on repeat plays for this season for HSC weeks and tournaments...

22 HSC Weeks

Jungle King

Sinistar

Zoo Keeper

Donkey Kong

Missile Command

27% of games are repeat plays

Labor Day

Berzerk

Centipede

Crazy Climber

Defender

Pac-Man

Phoenix

Space Firebird

Star Castle

100% of games were repeat plays

Halloween

Bubbles

Donkey Kong 3

15% of games were repeat plays

Turkey

Crystal Castles

Food Fight

Road Runner

Turkey Shoot

40% of games were repeat plays

Holiday

Centipede

Galaga '88

Magical Spot II

Rally X

Rip Off

Tempest

60% of games were repeat plays

So that averages it out to 54% of games in tournaments this season have been repeat plays.

But again, the inclusion of these games were based on player votes.

So, with all this discussion, I have to ask if you guys no longer enjoy playing the tournaments (because it seemed for a time it was "fun") and want to do away with them altogether?

So that averages it out to 54% of games in tournaments this season have been repeat plays.

But again, the inclusion of these games were based on player votes.

So, with all this discussion, I have to ask if you guys no longer enjoy playing the tournaments (because it seemed for a time it was "fun") and want to do away with them altogether?

I sure have a lot a fun.

I like the current format.

This HSC has to continue.