IGNORED

AtariProtos.com Update

Tempest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6-rQ6Jay6w&feature=related

Is there a possibility of the rom being dumped ?? :thumbsup: :thumbsdown:

Don't count on it. Our "top men" have had Turbo for years, but we still have yet to see a dump.

Support AtariAge.

Buy the repro.

Support the people who don't want to pay $45 for a barely touched up prototype that even the rave reviewers say is dissapointingly unimproved.

Dump the ROM.

That is the first post that has made me laugh out loud in a long time. You are obviously full of ______.

Edited by brandondwright

Don't count on it. Our "top men" have had Turbo for years, but we still have yet to see a dump.

Support AtariAge.

Buy the repro.

Support the people who don't want to pay $45 for a barely touched up prototype that even the rave reviewers say is dissapointingly unimproved.

Dump the ROM.

That is the first post that has made me laugh out loud in a long time. You are obviously full of ______.

*shakes head* If that's the best you can do, I have nothing more to say.

Support AtariAge.

Buy the repro.

Dump the ROM.

*shakes head* If that's the best you can do, I have nothing more to say.

You have nothing more to say because you realized that you STILL wouldn't get your ROM after your threw your miniature shit-fit.

Edited by brandondwright

4Ks, Al himself said that the rom would be released to the public in time, so there!

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/96298-turbo-atari-2600/page__view__findpost__p__2064522

I'm thinking I'll release the original prototype ROM shortly, and then the full version (with the menu and "Enhanced" version of the game) after I've sold 'x' number of copies of the physical game. Perhaps when 200 copies of been sold. This was an expensive game to produce and I'd like to recoup my costs. icon_smile.gif

..Al

• Like 1

Well, not to point out the obvious but the "upDATE" to the Charlie Brown page is more of an upGRADE.

Suddenly, the screenshots used are of emulation quality. So this would tell me that the game is at the very least now, safe, even if it remains unavailable to everyone. I guess that's good news.

The game has found a safe and happy home with a generous buyer:

glcboffer.jpg?t=1291095026

A generous buyer, you say?

Matt, did you really sell it for a lousy $45 back then?

8)

Well, considering he wouldn't release the proto because he was afraid it would de-value it, it would be pretty hilarious if he did. ;)

8)

Well, considering he wouldn't release the proto because he was afraid it would de-value it, it would be pretty hilarious if he did. ;)

Is that true? Gosh, I don't remember saying that, but thanks for putting words into my mouth. I appreciate it. Anyway, someone sounds jealous. You should have bid $50 when you had the chance.

All kidding aside, the game has been out of my possession for years. We did at some point try to coordinate to dump GLCB, but I was never able to make a trip fit into my schedule where I could travel and meet up with someone with a dumper. I also think someone was going to send me a dumper at some point, but that never happened...

Please remember, I was once very involved in the Atari scene, but for years it has been only a tiny, tiny part of my life (I stopped collecting over a decade ago). I do check out the boards every couple months (and I attend CA Extreme every year), but that's about it. While I understand that dumping a rare prototype is hugely important to people on this board, it simply wasn't high on my agenda nor was it easy to fit into my schedule (you know, I was prioritizing things like work, relationships, family, other hobbies, etc. - I'm sure that's not too hard to understand).

Anyway, I got a little tired of being hit with messages about dumping, selling, or donating the game so a few years ago I ended up selling it silently. The buyer also requested silence, but it's been a few years so I hope it's ok that I'm revealing the story. Anyone who PMed me and asked politely was told exactly what was going on (game had been sold and had found a very safe home).

I think the moral here is that if someone who is not an active member of the community pops up with a rare prototype or one-of-a-kind item, the best thing to do is to be patient and friendly and NOT overwhelm him or her with threats, complaints, constant badgering, and endless spiteful, jealous posts riddled with insinuations, assumptions, and insults. In my experience this only makes the person less inclined to want to have anything to do with the whole Atari community (I'm sure we can think of several cases where this has happened).

That being said, hats off to all the super cool people in the Atari scene, and everyone can be assured that GLCB has a very happy home (and has for several years) with a very friendly, gracious and dedicated collector.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

• Like 4

8)

Is that true? Gosh, I don't remember saying that, but thanks for putting words into my mouth. I appreciate it. Anyway, someone sounds jealous. You should have bid $50 when you had the chance.

Yes, looking back at that thread you're right. Sorry. But no, I'm not jealous, and I wouldn't have bought it anyway. Case closed. Goodbye.

8)

All kidding aside, the game has been out of my possession for years. We did at some point try to coordinate to dump GLCB, but I was never able to make a trip fit into my schedule where I could travel and meet up with someone with a dumper. I also think someone was going to send me a dumper at some point, but that never happened...

Please remember, I was once very involved in the Atari scene, but for years it has been only a tiny, tiny part of my life (I stopped collecting over a decade ago). I do check out the boards every couple months (and I attend CA Extreme every year), but that's about it. While I understand that dumping a rare prototype is hugely important to people on this board, it simply wasn't high on my agenda nor was it easy to fit into my schedule (you know, I was prioritizing things like work, relationships, family, other hobbies, etc. - I'm sure that's not too hard to understand).

Anyway, I got a little tired of being hit with messages about dumping, selling, or donating the game so a few years ago I ended up selling it silently. The buyer also requested silence, but it's been a few years so I hope it's ok that I'm revealing the story. Anyone who PMed me and asked politely was told exactly what was going on (game had been sold and had found a very safe home).

I think the moral here is that if someone who is not an active member of the community pops up with a rare prototype or one-of-a-kind item, the best thing to do is to be patient and friendly and NOT overwhelm him or her with threats, complaints, constant badgering, and endless spiteful, jealous posts riddled with insinuations, assumptions, and insults. In my experience this only makes the person less inclined to want to have anything to do with the whole Atari community (I'm sure we can think of several cases where this has happened).

That being said, hats off to all the super cool people in the Atari scene, and everyone can be assured that GLCB has a very happy home (and has for several years) with a very friendly, gracious and dedicated collector.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Crystal clear, Matt.

Thanks for explaining.

8)

Thanks for the background info.

I think what people here are most concerned about -- and curious to know, myself included -- is if the GLCB game was dumped, NOT so that it could be released (which I understand a collector of a one of a kind item may not want to do, espeicly if he paid big money for it) but so that the contents are perserved for future use.

Being a one of a kind item, the EPROM is sure to fail at some point, and it would be a shame if this program was lost for all time. There's no telling how many programs and games this sad fate has happened. As a trained historian, I know the importance of perserving things, even copies, so that future people can see them or at the least know they exist.

If anyone is in touch with the lucky guy who currently has the GLCB protoype, I respctfully suggest that you urge said person to dump the ROM at least to pervent this fate from happening. :)

Edited by SoulBlazer

Tempest reviewed both of these games and has emulator-captured screenshots in these reviews, so it's obvious that he has the ROM images to both titles.

So why do people keep asking if one or both of these have been dumped? :?

In the update he did NOW it was clear that they were emulator screenshots. And my argument wasn't just for these games, but anything else rare like it. :)

Perhaps this is a a bit O/T, but I don't understand the obsession some people have with wanting copies of prototypes and unreleased games (by which I mean the ROMS, not the actual physical items).

I very much enjoy reading Tempest's reviews -- especially in those cases where there are multiple versions of a game and it is possible to see how the game evolved over time. (Cabbage Patch Kids is a really great example of this idea because there exist so many WIP versions from different stages.)

That said, from what I've read the vast majority of these games are not especially fun to play -- they are either unfinished or they went unreleased for a good reason. There are some exceptions, of course, I happen to rather like Aquaventure and that never made it to release, but I have no burning desire to play some unfinished WIP. For me, if the game is not fun, I have no interest in acquiring (or playing) it -- in any format.

If I did, however, somehow find a prototype or lab loaner at my local thrift shop for under $5, I would very probably buy it. But unless it was fun to play, it would very quickly be put up for sale.

[Edited to fix spelling mistakes.]

Edited by jhd

I tend to agree with you for the most part, jhd. I think the people who seem to badly want the ROMs to prototypes that are really of minimal interest are ultimately the same as the people who have a burning desire to own some really rare game who quickly lose interest in said game shortly after acquiring it. As soon as they get it, they move on to some other obscure object of desire.

In the end I think it's just all about having something that you don't/can't have, and little else really. It's all about the chase.

Perhaps this is a a bit O/T, but I don't understand the obsession some people have with wanting copies of prototypes and unreleased games (by which I mean the ROMS, not the actual physical items).

In my case, it's very simple: I want these ROM copies for the archive.

Also, I'm truly interested in examining and playing a prototype game, no matter how buggy it is.

IMO it's a piece of video game history that never saw the light of day and now, many years later, comes to life in front of your own eyes.

It's special feeling to witness this.

8)

I'll vouch for the fact that most of these unfinished prototypes aren't fun to play. Even I generally don't look at them much after I review them. For example, Mark of the Mole is a very interesting game but it's not very playable because there's no ending or enemies in it. I can guarantee once that rom gets released everyone will look at it once and then never touch it again. It needs to be archived, the gameplay should be documented, but that's about all it's good for in its current form.

Tempest

• 4 weeks later...