IGNORED

Cool Watches?

Ranthulfr

Which vintage/retro watches do you feel are especially interesting? I'm thinking in terms of the old LCD multi-function watches but I'd like to hear about anything good.

Back in the day I had a calculator watch that I really liked. I want to say the brand was Armitron and it played multiple tunes. Way cool (to me at least).

Which watch plays the best games?

Armitron or Nelsonic made a nifty little Pac-Man watch that we used to play during class in the early 80's. icon_lol.gif

I see those thing fetch a pretty penny now. Yet another valuable classic gaming item I *used* to have, but have no idea where it went.

Edited by save2600

I had (still around somewhere) the calculator watch and I'm actually still wearing my Timex Datalink, even tho I don't have a monitor/OS that I can use to sync it.. ;-)

I always wanted one of those computer watches, the rupiter??? or something like that. I think it was a PalmOS on a watch.

I had several game&watch (the handhelds) games in the day, but I can't remember having an actual watch that played games..

Would have been nice...

I'll have to keep my eyes open for something like that. Nice an retro-y.. ;-)

desiv

I got an old pacman watch around here somewhere. The little piece off plastic the band hooks into broke though, so I can't wear it, or even replace the band though, but it still worked last I messed with it. I also have a starfox watch, It came from getting certain cerials and you sent in the UPC's and money for the watch. I stopped wearing that because it got wet and died on me, but I took it apart and aired it out and it still worked, but I never wore it again for fear of permanently ruining it.

I've had several of the cheap ass calculator watches (whatever happened to those?) Mostly by casio or something.

Always wanted one of the TV watches (just a very tiny TV in a watch form) but most had bulky external parts, or were insanely expensive, or both.

Right towards the end of high school, I did get a watch that took pictures, it was crappy 80x80 pixel (ish, don't know the exact resolution) pictures, but hey, back then it was cool as hell. I lost the cable that hooked it to the computer, and it's some funky earphone to db9 type plug, probably would still work if I could get a cable...but there is a much cooler camera/video watch for kids you can get at walmart now for less than a quarter of what I paid for mine, and it runs in color. Think it's eyeclopse or something.

Armitron or Nelsonic made a nifty little Pac-Man watch that we used to play during class in the early 80's. icon_lol.gif

I see those thing fetch a pretty penny now. Yet another valuable classic gaming item I *used* to have, but have no idea where it went.

It's got to be the version with the little joystick knob, though! That one was way more fun. It came with four plastic sticks and if you lost them all, you could always use a toothpick instead.

I've noticed a lot of early '80's gaming watches lately on ebay.

Nelsonic and Casio had so many gaming watches back then and I remember some guys in Jr. High had brought them in to show off. I remember playing a space invaders type game and a space war type game. Both had surprisingly good control and video effects.

Those were the days!!! :cool:

My favorite has always been the GCE ArcadeTime, which was released by the makers of the Vectrex and is sometimes called the Vectrex watch because of that. It has awesome gameplay and is the only watch I have in my retro-tech collection at this time.

post-24636-129113830894_thumb.jpg

Edited by the-topdog