IGNORED

Timex Sinclair 1000

~llama

When I first saw them for sale at my local drug store chain, I really wanted one, but $99 was a little steep for me then. Soon they were $50 and I began to save my pennies to get one. Before you knew it, they were out from behind the counter and in a bin for 50% off and %50 off again, so $12.50. Hot Damn! I pulled one out of a opened box and looked at it (with permission, I'm not THAT guy) and I just couldn't see typing programs into that keyboard, so I bought a couple clearance 2600 games instead. Well, apparently I'm a idiot, because it didn't take long to decide I would rather have the "crappy little computer" than "Firefly" and "Sorceror".

• Like 1

The first computer for the UK home market that cost less then 100 pounds (arround 51 dollars in 1981). That is a lot of computer for little money.

A little miscalculation, 100 pounds in 1981 should be 190 dollar, since the pound to dollar was 1 to 1.90 back in 81.

....there were plenty of third party, bus expansion accessories that could overcome the shortcomings... like sound generators and full sized keyboards.

That keyboard looks great! Looks almost like you could hide the 1000 underneath it!! And, now knowing that there was a version of Scramble available, I will have to get one someday! Morgan

....there were plenty of third party, bus expansion accessories that could overcome the shortcomings... like sound generators and full sized keyboards.

That keyboard looks great! Looks almost like you could hide the 1000 underneath it!! And, now knowing that there was a version of Scramble available, I will have to get one someday! Morgan

You are correct, the keyboard is twice the size of the computer itself :D But let me tell you it is sooooo nice to be able to type on a full sized keyboard instead of the tiny membrane one.

One neat little fact is that these external keyboards do not disable the membrane keyboard, so you can input from both keyboards simultaneously. This is great for two player, simultaneous play, games... no more cramming four hands on one tiny keyboard.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a boxed one. At one point, I had maybe 5 or 6 of them total, and about 10 of the 16k units, but all the other keyboards had the common partial not working issue, so I gave them all away, not worth messing with to me.

The richest friend I had back in Jr High had one, oddly. It was set up in a nook in their basement with all the accessories, all professional looking. They must have had a lot of $ into that thing.

Anyway, sometimes it's interesting to mess with things that are so low-powered to see what you can squeeze out of them. I haven't played with the 1000 in probably 8 or 9 years though.

I see some people are fans of the 'ram pack' wobble...Or was that the speccy

Rampacks were for ZX80, ZX81 and Spectrum 16 (of course different models of the device).

A standard config for games is ZX81+16Kb Rampack. There are games for 1K but they're only stuff like from arcade machines (simple games). So the most resonable way is to get also the 16K RamPack.

There are still new games for ZX81 16K and often they're better than the old ones.

Just in case -

ZX81 Forum: http://www.rwapservices.co.uk/ZX80_ZX81/forums/ (English language)

ZX81 Forum: http://forum.tlienhard.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=2 (German language).

DOH! Tonight I decided to open up my Sinclair and see how the insides looked once more, and the ribbon cable shredded as I lifted the board up :(

Working on homework to get this GRI 756 keyboard wired up to work for it as well as the really cool simple transistor composite-out mod so I can have a decent picture.

Write it out at vintage-computer:

I discovered in my collection that I have a Timex Sinclair 1000 that has a) a broken membrane keyboard and b) bad video output. The RF signal coming off of it is video only, so I found a composite mod that requires one transistor and am about to give it a shot.

Letters are black on black, a little bit snowy so I figure bypass the whole RF and go with composite.

The keyboard is also partly not responding, and being a membrane I figure I could just replace the whole thing. I go looking and find them in the UK for ~40USD each, a bit out of my pricerange.

I have this GRI keyboard that has been made into a terminal, so I figure I could use that and wire it up. Then I think I can use them BOTH and have a Timex with a TERMINAL as well in there! More on the terminal board later. Still, it's pretty sweet but I think it was put together wrong.

So I am at figuring out how to make the keyboard (in a case) match up with the Sinclair's keyboard input, fix the video and maybe hook up the terminal as well.

http://www.netdenizen.com/ebay/gri756/gri756.pdf

http://www.zx81.de/english/video_e.htm

http://www.brainless.org/MultiMedia/...puterStuff.htm

and a really cool keyboard enclosure.

http://picasaweb.google.com/nathan.d...ntitledAlbum2#

If anyone has any experience with these things, feel free to chime in. Looks to be a fun thing to make

DOH! Tonight I decided to open up my Sinclair and see how the insides looked once more, and the ribbon cable shredded as I lifted the board up :(

ARRRRGH. Man, I could say You it happens even before You made this.

Look, it's not SO bad yet - there are 2 companies in PL that produce new keyboard-membranes, also to ZX81/TS, and the stuff is being sold by RWAP company based in UK.

Check out this http://www.rwapsoftware.co.uk/

or contact them with info AT rwapservices.co.uk

Greetz.

Y

I'm on the same forum as those guys, but I am thinking non-purity and going with the large keyboard. It'll be easier to use and I will keep the membrane as the guide to using the keys (special characters and such). That GRI is neat, especially since I have an enclosure for it already.

I think I am going to solder on a new connector, though, just to have one that doesn't grip so tightly.

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely little machine. Was fiddling with it last week. Real pain to get a decent picture on any kind of TV though.

It was my first computer and a real point of nostaligia.

Actually how's this? My 68 year old mum pulled a blinder and got me this off ebay for Christmas:

th_CBBoHqBWkKGrHqFh0E0Ew3oKKIBNF6eJ84cg0_3.jpg

This computer depressed me. From the look of the advertisements, and the superb cost-effectiveness portrayed, I expected to be able to do something really slick and kick-ass with this. Instead it was an exercise in frustration and futility. I eventually gave up on computer science! Thanks timex...fkuc you!

timex sinclair 1000

Sinclair ZX-81

I mean look here! we've got some cool custom chips that are more numerous and bigger than what is in the 2600. So it has to be better!!

http://www.computermuseum.li/Testpage/TimexSinclair1000inside1.jpg

So be it, back to programming my Hayes MicroModem on the Apple II

The Timex Sinclair is kind of an unsung hero in my opinion. It bridged the much needed gap between the unobtainable and the average person. Allowing a lot of people to touch the world of computing that would never have been able to afford it until a couple years later when prices on more capable machines were lowered to a more affordable level.

I absolutely agree. Sure it was finicky and limited but it was affordable to kids who didn't have trust funds. :)

It was my first computer (later moving on to a TI99, then the A8) and I learned to program on it. For giving me a head start and launching what would become a lifelong career track it shall always hold a special place in my heart... :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Seems like the same sort of scenario as the TRS-80 MC-10, except for that one the keys are actually buttons and I do have the RAM expansion :P

Here is my MC-10 web page with some games and good links. :P

http://chazbeenhad.tripod.com

Why not start a new thread? I would, it would attract more Tandy users if Tandy is in the subject line. I like both (neat site, I like it, and I don't have a MC-10, wish I did) computers so I looked. Is it a Sinclair clone?? The graphics look a lot better.

Seems like the same sort of scenario as the TRS-80 MC-10, except for that one the keys are actually buttons and I do have the RAM expansion :P

Here is my MC-10 web page with some games and good links. :P

http://chazbeenhad.tripod.com

Why not start a new thread? I would, it would attract more Tandy users if Tandy is in the subject line. I like both (neat site, I like it, and I don't have a MC-10, wish I did) computers so I looked. Is it a Sinclair clone?? The graphics look a lot better.

Its not a Sinclair clone. Just Tandy's attempt to compete with it.

The MC-10 is really a Coco in a small case.

The MC-10 has a different CPU than the CoCo so it isn't compatible. It has the 6803, which is actually a pretty decent CPU. It's just not as powerful as the 6809. The assembly I've ported to it was a lot smaller than the Z80 or 6502 code though.

The biggest blunder with the MC-10 was not shipping it with 8K and the hi-res graphics fully enabled. You had to hack the machine to really use the hi-res graphics modes.

I have a Timex Sinclair 1000. Someone put in a keyboard with raised keys. It would have been a lot better with that keyboard to begin with.

I also have a TS-1500 which is a reworked 1000 in a Speccy case with the 16K RAM expansion built in. If that had been Timex's first foray into the computer market they probably wouldn't have turned off so many customers. If they had started with the Speccy the US computer market might have been very different.