IGNORED

Lode Runner question

Brian R.

Uh... red and blue are both primary colors.

Since Lode Runner was originally made for the Apple II, the bricks were supposed to be blue, purple was the color of the enemies' shirts, and green was the color of your monitor screen unless you were rich. Red was the color of your face when the entire system sold for $1000 less the following year.

Uh... red and blue are both primary colors.

Hey, I thought I had myself covered with ;) and :lolblue: , indicating that as a joke question :D

A lot of people have Lode Runner memories, a friend of a friend was talking for months about playing this game in the early 80's on his Atari, so I got an emulator setup up for him with the game but he claims that it doesn't look or play quite like he remember. I never figured out what exactly he was looking for maybe he played it on a Apple II or C64.

Someone just gave me an Apple IIe :)

LR started on the Apple - I think the bricks should be blue - Maybe with the XE line the artifacting colors shifted again? I thought the XL and XE had the same artifcating colors which are different than the 400/800 since the video was shifted an 1.2 pixel or so (so I was told :) )

I have an Apple IIGS(and another extra if anyone's interested)... One of the things I got with it was a copy of Loderunner. I've played it but I've never really gotten very far in it.

I think there have been a few remakes of the game.... I'm pretty sure there was at least one in 3D... in fact if you type in "Loderunner 3D" on google You'll get a lot of results.

I mean come on, it was a Brøderbund game. ALL their premiere stuff was created on the Apple II first. Karateka, Choplifter, Drol, Gumball, etc...

Actually, Doug Smith programmed the game on his own and then submitted it to various companies (Epyx, EA etc). Broderbund gave him the best deal and he got rich from the royalties. Here's the "believe it or not" part: The original game was programmed on a VAX mainframe with ASCII as the "graphics"! Smith had to borrow a friend's Apple to do the conversion. I believe he also did the Atari 800 port. Probably someone else did the other versions.

Lode Runner was the first game I got when I recieved my Apple IIe for Christmas. I was amazed by the simple yet eligant gameplay and the variety and viciousness of the mazes. I continued to Lode Runner off and on for years and occassionally break out the Apple IIe for a quick game (and Karateka).

I also had a copy of something called Championship Lode Runner, but I could never figure out if it was an official game or a hack. It was damn hard though, I couldn't pass the second level.

Tempest

< actually won CLR >

It's an official release of levels submitted to BroderBund.

The winning screen just gave me a code like TQADII or something like that, and BroderBund mailed me an unfolded certificate. Can't imagine how I pulled that one off. Those mazes are devilish indeed!

Still have it somewhere.

You still own an Apple ][ ???

Curt

I do! But now there's really no need to break it out, since AppleWin is such an awesome emulator. It literally makes your pc into an Apple II. When run full screen in monochrome green, using BankStreet Writer was never so much fun. Seriously! :) (oh yeah and a run at the original Lode Runner is pretty cool as well) ;)

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. I thought there ALREADY IS A 3D LODE RUNNER. :? Wasn't there?

<edit> yep! there was. for the N64: http://ign64.ign.com/articles/160/160067p1...0/160067p1.html

So Championship LR was made up of user made levels? I seem to

remember it having a level builder but can't quite remember. I do

remember that on the C=64 version you could add extra lives and

skip levels, which was handy for those extra tough levels.

When I bought a computer in 1995 it came bundled with a VGA

Lode Runner for windows. It seemed pretty faithful to the original just

with better colour. I played it to the last level. A nice alternative to

solitare!

John

The regular game of LR had 150 levels and allowed you to create a user disk for 150 custom levels. I can't remember if the Apple version allowed you to add lives, but you could flip into the game editor on either disk and start at any level. The game had to be played in one sitting, since there was no way to save your game.

Championship LR was made of the 50 toughest homemade levels (I think that the box stated that) and has no editor. It allowed you to practice any of them, though. When in the regular game mode, you could save your progress to reload later. The price for this ability was losing one of your lives when it was reloaded, so an easy way to increase your chances was to save the game multiple times (I think that it had 10 save slots).