IGNORED

7800 Expansion Module (XM) hardware & game details - 7/8/2016

Lendorien

Ummm... Where can I get one of those chickens? :lol:

Dungeon! will require the XM to work.

That's the ONLY one.

That you know of.

I don't get the marketing strategy here. Is it really smart to insult the potential future install base's intelligence by telling them everything is a secret, when the thing is due to ship in a few weeks?

It's like expecting people to buy a barren, sterile, but awesome looking Chicken, and trying to convince them that it will lay magical golden eggs that they just don't know about yet.

The product looks fantastic from a technical standpoint, but without software support it's kind of pointless.

This is going out on a limb here, but is there any possibility of a built in demo game for the XM?

That would actually be pretty awesome, even if it was some kind of dinky maze game like the SMS had built in. Have it save your score and utilize the Yamaha chip as well.

There's another thread going on about this in 2600 land, but I'll port the thoughts here, since that's not the appropriate forum for it anyway.

So, I'm a programmer.

For my first 7800 game, I want to use actual hardware on its own (no upgrades).

Please don't fault me for that-- it's just what I want to do.

However, even though I have that mindset, it doesn't mean that XM purchasers will lose out.

Arkanoid uses POKEY. Since Ballblazer and Commando used Pokey, it is not beyond reason for me to build a cart similar to Ballblazer and swap out the ROM and put in Arkanoid.

In my opinion, if I can still put it on a cart like back in the day, it counts.

Now, here's the cool thing--

Let's say someone makes non-XM regular carts with POKEYs, and they cost 50 bucks each.

Well, the neat thing is that with a couple of code tweaks, I can change the address of the POKEY lines, and then suddenly, I can release a non-pokey-on-board cart that works with XM.

XM users let's say could spend 40 or 45 dollars, and then they have made back a little of their investment.

That, in my opinion, makes it all worthwhile.

Everyone wins. I get to make my "original hardware", and hold in my hand an actual working on-its-own cart. It will make me happy. And, XM people get a discount.

I don't think that's too bad of a prospect. And, from a programming standpoint, I think it's simple to do.

After one game for the 7800 is under my belt, I may consider opening up a bit to "push the limits", but I'm not in that mode yet.

I do want to say that I think the 7800 XM is a cool project, and I'm a big fan, especially for anything to get the 7800 a little bit more notice. :D

-John

Yes, Beef Drop and Beef Drop VE use that exact model. Though Beef Drop VE will also use TIA audio if no Pokey is detected.

Mitch

Out of curiosity, since the XM uses the xboard address codes for Pokey, is Beef Drop XM/xboard Pokey compatible, or does it use the actual Pokey? I'm curious because if it is XM compatible, I'll update the list.

I've added Beefdrop VE. Also reorganized the list. The old style was leading to duplication. This is a little clearer. I just want this to be available for anyone who decides to get the XM who may not be as knowledgeable as us regular forum attendees.

Edited by Lendorien

Out of curiosity, are there any 7800 homebrew (other than Beef Drop ve) that use the POKEY feature of the xboard? It occurred to me that any games that used the POKEY Xboard addresses would also be compatible with the XM.

I have done a little research and I see that Froggie seems to have been intended as an Xboard game. It also seems like it was never completed. Was it ever completed and if so, what sort of support does it have?

Edited by Lendorien

So just to make sure I understand this correctly....Beef Drop VE will have POKEY sound when played via the XM??

Beef Drop VE demo was tried on the Xboard and had Pokey sound. Since the XM and Xboard use the same addresses for accessing the Pokey, Beef Drop VE should work with the XM. No-one has verified it with the actual released Beef Drop VE, but we know the demo works.

So just to make sure I understand this correctly....Beef Drop VE will have POKEY sound when played via the XM??

Beef Drop VE demo was tried on the Xboard and had Pokey sound. Since the XM and Xboard use the same addresses for accessing the Pokey, Beef Drop VE should work with the XM. No-one has verified it with the actual released Beef Drop VE, but we know the demo works.

Thanks Lendorien....Can't wait to give it a go!

• 2 weeks later...

HOLY SH%T! Frenzy and Warbirds! :lust: ...oh, sorry. Please carry on.

Well PacManPlus hasn't made a peep about Frenzy in ages and is sort of busy with RL right now anyway. Don't get too excited.

As for Warbirds, Gorf has been gone since June. It could very well be a dead project. Again, don't get too excited. :(