Photo

Season 4 Christmas-Double-Round 13/14 *Skiing* *Antarctic Adventure*

44 replies to this topic

#26 ColecoDan OFFLINE  

ColecoDan

Stargunner

• 1,392 posts

Posted Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:36 PM

Paying off a gate judge is expensive these days. Man is the collision detection annoying on this game.

00:23:19

Attached Thumbnails

• Skiing.jpg

#27 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

River Patroller

• 4,043 posts

Posted Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:58 PM

Paying off a gate judge is expensive these days. Man is the collision detection annoying on this game.

Timing at the start gate is imperative and when moving through a gate, stay away from the flag on the left as the collision detection is brutal. The flag on the right is very forgiving.

#28 Yurkie OFFLINE  

Yurkie

Q*bert Champion

• 3,437 posts
  • Offering mods for ColecoVision and NESRGB

Posted Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:44 PM

Timing at the start gate is imperative and when moving through a gate, stay away from the flag on the left as the collision detection is brutal. The flag on the right is very forgiving.

Nice tip NIAD.

This game would be a good canidate for a hack. The bottom of the gate poles and the bottom ski on the skier should be the only collision detection. It is programmed more like boards laying on the ground with flags on the ends than actual standing poles.

#29 roadrunner OFFLINE  

roadrunner

Quadrunner

• 7,812 posts

Posted Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:31 PM

AA - 19,770

#30 ed1475 OFFLINE  

ed1475

Dragonstomper

• 555 posts

Posted Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:28 AM

Skiing: 23:05

AA: 48290

ed_ski_2305.jpg ed_antarctic_48290.jpg

#31 jblenkle OFFLINE  

jblenkle

River Patroller

• 2,681 posts

Posted Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:59 PM

Antartic Adventure

I hate to say it, but this game is no longer challenging me!!! After you learn the ins and outs of it, it's quite easy to navigate the ice crevasses and avoid the seal. Too bad they couldn't have added more "enemies" other than the silly old seal.

He did finally get the best of me (mostly because my attention wandered too many times), but not before:

470,270 and Stage 93

Attached Thumbnails

• joe_antartic.jpg

#32 Yurkie OFFLINE  

Yurkie

Q*bert Champion

• 3,437 posts
  • Offering mods for ColecoVision and NESRGB

Posted Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:54 AM

Antartic Adventure

I hate to say it, but this game is no longer challenging me!!! After you learn the ins and outs of it, it's quite easy to navigate the ice crevasses and avoid the seal. Too bad they couldn't have added more "enemies" other than the silly old seal.

He did finally get the best of me (mostly because my attention wandered too many times), but not before:

470,270 and Stage 93

Awesome! Congratulations! Now you need to connect your CV to a VCR, tape it and submit to TwinGalaxies for verification.

I think this is a really great game, I am just terrible at it.

#33 jblenkle OFFLINE  

jblenkle

River Patroller

• 2,681 posts

Posted Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:15 PM

Sadly, this was done on an emulator. I did load it up on my ADAM last night though and got over 200,000 before my wife wanted me to do something that could have waited another few hours. It's a bit harder to play on real hardware...couldn't get the timing on my jumps quite right.

As for the other game in this contest...SKIING...I suck big time at it. I get down the hill in about 53 seconds and miss most of the gates.

Antartic Adventure

470,270 and Stage 93

Awesome! Congratulations! Now you need to connect your CV to a VCR, tape it and submit to TwinGalaxies for verification.

I think this is a really great game, I am just terrible at it.

#34 atariron82 OFFLINE  

atariron82

Dragonstomper

• 610 posts
  • Outer Space is a really nice place...Dan Dare!

Posted Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:50 AM

30,700 stage 5

A nice little game, but by the 5th stage, the course is nearly un-navigable. If the penguin is going fast enough to complete the stage, avoiding crevasses and seals is a real trick. The grade/curve of the ice constantly forces you into obstacles and the resistance to movement makes the way even tougher. As far as catching a flag or two...good luck! Points are already pretty sparse in the game and if you are going slow enough to get them, you won't make it to the Ice Station, unless of course you're going flat-out and a fish/flag just happens to hit you in the face.

Kudos to jblenlke for his dominating high score. He deserves a Gold Patch for sticking with it through 93 stages...Unbelievable :-o !

DSC02278.JPG

#35 jblenkle OFFLINE  

jblenkle

River Patroller

• 2,681 posts

Posted Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:49 AM

Kudos to jblenlke for his dominating high score. He deserves a Gold Patch for sticking with it through 93 stages...Unbelievable :-o !

Thanks...I was pretty much dying of shear boredom by Stage 93...there's not enough variety or challenges in the game. It would have been cool if they'd put polar bears strolling across the ice and a few other obstacles.

A couple of tips...go as fast as you can and unless they are pretty much handed to you, ignore the flags and fish to start with. Wait until your time vs. distance remaining has equalized or you're ahead of the game to go after them (i.e. if you have 400km remaining, make sure you have 40 or better on the timer). If you're careful, you can usually get to this point about midway through the course.

Stay far right or left. If your timing is down, you can clear two ice crevasses/holes at once -- plus the seal if he pops up on the side. If you come into a turn, go immediately to the other side rather than going with the flow. If you don't chances are, you will meet the seal face to face somewhere in the middle.

#36 patbb OFFLINE  

patbb

Stargunner

• 1,164 posts

Posted Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:44 PM

Ski: 27:44
AA: 48620

Attached Thumbnails

• ski2744.JPG
  • aa48620.JPG

#37 patbb OFFLINE  

patbb

Stargunner

• 1,164 posts

Posted Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:05 PM

A couple of tips...go as fast as you can and unless they are pretty much handed to you, ignore the flags and fish to start with. Wait until your time vs. distance remaining has equalized or you're ahead of the game to go after them (i.e. if you have 400km remaining, make sure you have 40 or better on the timer). If you're careful, you can usually get to this point about midway through the course.

Stay far right or left. If your timing is down, you can clear two ice crevasses/holes at once -- plus the seal if he pops up on the side. If you come into a turn, go immediately to the other side rather than going with the flow. If you don't chances are, you will meet the seal face to face somewhere in the middle.

Thanks for the tips.

AA:111,010

Attached Thumbnails

• aa111010.JPG

#38 roadrunner OFFLINE  

roadrunner

Quadrunner

• 7,812 posts

Posted Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:45 PM

^^^ yeah, those are some good tips!

#39 patbb OFFLINE  

patbb

Stargunner

• 1,164 posts

Posted Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:27 AM

That was close ... 5k from the base!
I thought I was close at 16k!

#40 roadrunner OFFLINE  

roadrunner

Quadrunner

• 7,812 posts

Posted Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:54 PM

That was close ... 5k from the base!
I thought I was close at 16k!

Yeah, i almost made it to stage 12. It doesn't get much closer than that.

#41 Mister VCS OFFLINE  

Mister VCS

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,188 posts

Posted Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:39 AM

I am on the "Antarctic-booad" with 47,550 96,470 (stage 20).

Adv10.jpg Fotos-0554.jpg

I have added a "link-button" at the Colecovision Game Index (still under construction). Hope you like it!

We need a few game suggestions for 2011!
Do you like the current variety of games?

Edited by Mister VCS, Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:38 AM.
New personal High Score (slightly)

#42 patbb OFFLINE  

patbb

Stargunner

• 1,164 posts

Posted Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:04 PM

AA:371580

Attached Thumbnails

• aa371580.JPG

Edited by patbb, Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:06 PM.

#43 ColecoDan OFFLINE  

ColecoDan

Stargunner

• 1,392 posts

Posted Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:40 PM

Well I am glad I decided to try some more

00:22:41

Attached Thumbnails

• Skiing2.jpg

#44 RangerG OFFLINE  

RangerG

River Patroller