IGNORED

Lord of the Dungeon Release by CollectorVision

retroillucid

Just to be clear, I didn't intend to malign Yurkie's work in my previous post. I was just searching for answers as to why I couldn't get the game to work. Turns out it was a PEBCAC error. :P

I'm looking forward to playing this when I get home!

I got mine in the mail last night. I played around with it a little bit and it seems to be working fine on my machine. I also got messed up at first by the whole move the joystick thing to start... :P

Very cool to be playing this game. Thanks again for all the hard work to get this one out there! :) :thumbsup:

Yay, it works!

I played it a bit last night, thanks to the tips here. I still don't see where it says in the manual to push up on the joystick to start. I must be blind.

But I'm looking forward to sitting down with this game and some graph paper. :D

Yay, it works!

I played it a bit last night, thanks to the tips here. I still don't see where it says in the manual to push up on the joystick to start. I must be blind.

I don't think there is anything in the manual about starting with the joystick.

Yay, it works!

Ah, OK. At least I don't have to feel bad about not knowing how to get the game started. ;)

Yay, it works!

Ah, OK. At least I don't have to feel bad about not knowing how to get the game started. ;)

I have a number of LOD guides (written by others) that include more practical guidance on getting started and progressing with the game. These guides explore far beyond the "official" manual with some very good tips on gameplay. I had intended to compile these guides and the manual into a single reference document but got stumped when I found contradictory information on high level spell names and their purpose. With CollectorVision's release of LOD I will brudh off these guides and finally compile them together. Where there is contradictory info I will provide both pieces and note that there is uncertainty over which is correct. Perhaps with more people playing the game we'll be able to eliminate some of these uncertainties. Give me a few weeks and I'll get the document together and will post it here.

Edited by Ikrananka
  • Like 2

Yay, it works!

I have a number of LOD guides (written by others) that include more practical guidance on getting started and progressing with the game. These guides explore far beyond the "official" manual with some very good tips on gameplay. I had intended to compile these guides and the manual into a single reference document but got stumped when I found contradictory information on high level spell names and their purpose. With CollectorVision's release of LOD I will brudh off these guides and finally compile them together. Where there is contradictory info I will provide both pieces and note that there is uncertainty over which is correct. Perhaps with more people playing the game we'll be able to eliminate some of these uncertainties. Give me a few weeks and I'll get the document together and will post it here.

That's really interesting!

I've type the manual exactly how it were from the original programmer's manual, and believe it or not, I never notice that moving the joystick to get started was ommit in the manual

Can't wait to see your guide! :)

That would be awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Smurf's Challenge on the way...

Hey J-F! What is next?

Lode Runner?

I would think the next one would be Burn Rubber. It's been sitting on the proverbial shelf since forever... :ponder:

You're right Luc, Burn Rubber have to be release soon

I think the bug you found back at AdamCon has not yet be corrected

Even if I think that bug is not a big deal, I think it should get release....

Congrats J-F! I knew this one would sell out quick! Those nice Steel Grey Cartridges are a nice touch too!!

Can't wait to see mine, looks like they've made their way to Winnipeg, but not yet to Vancouver....icon_frown.gificon_mrgreen.gif , (along with my two Smurfs and the "other" item. icon_wink.gif )

You're right Luc, Burn Rubber have to be release soon

I think the bug you found back at AdamCon has not yet be corrected

Even if I think that bug is not a big deal, I think it should get release....

That bug is hard to reproduce, and therefore hard to correct. Daniel Vik told me that since the ghost car data is stored in unused portions of VRAM, if the VRAM was slightly defective in the ColecoVision I used at AdamCon 22, then that would explain the problem. The console did give me a few screen glitches at Adamcon, so I'd say Daniel's theory is a definite possibility.

If you and Daniel can't reproduce the problem, then I say ignore it and release the darn game. :)

If you and Daniel can't reproduce the problem, then I say ignore it and release the darn game. icon_smile.gif

Yeah, that is what I was thinking since I never been able to "find" that bug

So, I would say that it was certainly your cv system

Yay, so Burn Rubber will be released next week! icon_rolling.gificon_evil.gif

If you and Daniel can't reproduce the problem, then I say ignore it and release the darn game. icon_smile.gif

Yeah, that is what I was thinking since I never been able to "find" that bug

So, I would say that it was certainly your cv system

Yay, so Burn Rubber will be released next week! icon_rolling.gificon_evil.gif

Oh no, I've to do some other things before.... like making a cool colorfull manual... ;)

Congrats J-F! I knew this one would sell out quick! Those nice Steel Grey Cartridges are a nice touch too!!

Can't wait to see mine, looks like they've made their way to Winnipeg, but not yet to Vancouver....icon_frown.gificon_mrgreen.gif , (along with my two Smurfs and the "other" item. icon_wink.gif )

I've had mine for a couple of weeks already... I didn't order mine with Smurf's though so it could explain the delay for you.

What's the 'other' item? :)

As promised I have now recreated the LOD manual that was released at the Classic Gaming Expo in 2002. This manual was compiled by Sean Kelly (Digital Press), who was also responsible for the limited LOD 70 cart release at the Classic Gaming Expo in 1999 (see photo below).

The manual is attached in PDF format and as you will see there are some key sections included that are not in the CollectorVision manual, ie.:

• Level 4 Magical Spell - ACIREFLAG (no description at the moment)
  • The Tome of Dungeon Monsters
  • Spell Reference Card
  • Tips from the Designer

My plan is to release a much expanded version of the manual which will include far more detail and tips than the attached.

I have the current manual in Microsoft Publisher format and can print out and staple the manual in a nice small booklet format (4.25" x 5.5"). If you're interested let me know and I will do this free of charge - you just need to cover the cost of shipping. I will only distribute the Publisher file once I have both versions of the manual released.

Happy Adventuring

post-5757-129937155363_thumb.jpg

Lord of the Dungeon Instructions.pdf

• Like 2

Here's the "new" Lord of the Dungeon release!

Complete in box, including a map and an overlay!

Only 50 were made, if there's more demand, maybe more will be made but its truly not sure. So don't miss this chance to finally own this nice battery back up game

Shipping will start in the 2nd week of January (due to holidays and Kobashi release)

You can pre-paid if you want to be sure to secure a copy, otherwise no reservation will be taken

Contact me here or by mail for infos

If you decide to make another batch of these, please PM me. I just became a member and found out about this too late! I would love a copy. It looks amazing!

Thanks!

Ben