I'm working on a special PAL 'hack' of Pole Position. The PAL version is too easy (you have PLENTY of time because PAL version runs slower). I adapted the timer.
Some folks (and I) were playing Pole Position in the HSC on this forum and we needed to have a PAL version that gets comparable scores with the NTSC version. To keep track of the right version (we work with screenshots) I colored the sky of this version PURPLE.
Ok... here comes the fix.
1. The timer settings are approx. 93% of the NTSC (original) version. Also extra time settings after completed lap are 93% of original settings now.
2. The finish FLAG bug is fixed. Yeah. I could not found a working xex version of Pole Position in which the finish flag did work properly (it was garbaged) hehe. This is fixed now
3. The screen is purple (only for HSC purpouse)
4. There is Version number on the screen (also for HSC purpouse) This is V03
5. The Qualifaction timers (to get pole position or whatever start position) are altered.
In original version:
58"50 or less = Poleposition
60"00 = 2nd position
62"00 = 3rd position
64"00 = 4th position
66"00 = 5th position
68"00 = 6th position
70"00 = 7th position
73"00 = 8th position
In my version
54"50 = 1st position (this might be 'easy' ... but in harder level it is still hard enough to get pole position!)
56"00 = 2nd position
58"00 = 3rd position
60"00 = 4th position
61"00 = 5th position
63"00 = 6th position
65"00 = 7th position
68"00 = 8th position
Please leave feedback here.
I'm only "fixing" this game. I can not add other options or features. I don't have the source version so I work on sector/hex editors and all that sh*t.
Did this 100% on real atari 8bit equipment, using BlackBox and Qmeg OS (using 2 atari's at the same time to compare different versions)
I hope you have fun with it.
If you want original timed and colored version, but WITH the final flag fix... let me know, I might have some time to do it on the original game too.