IGNORED

My space Invader ceiling tiles....

Crazy Climber

Hello, I was looking for something cool to put on my ceiling so I made these Space Invaders out of composite Aluminium on my CNC machines at work. I think they look pretty cool, I am testing them in this section of the arcade before I do the whole thing to see how they hold up. What do you guys think?

post-9102-129237356703_thumb.jpg

*Edit - there seems to be some interest in these, I'm surprised since my Wife told me they were ugly - lol, what does she know right? Not sure what to charge, the material is crazy expensive (around $600 per 15' sheet) but I get it for free if I use the scrap that is left over, only problem is I am limited to whatever color the building is but they are almost always good colors and I will let you know what I have before I cut them, I think we have a lot of Blue and brown right now, it's a cool metallic brown though. I'll throw out $1 each plus actual shipping costs for smaller orders, discounts for larger orders. Let me know if that sounds good or will trade straight up for larger lots of E.T. carts ;)

*new edit - Thanks again everyone for all the positive comments. It is really cool hearing people say they like something you made. For everyone that has expressed some interest in picking some up for there own gameroom I will update soon with what colors I have available. My boss is pretty cool and usually supports us having a little fun so I should be able to get rolling on this Saturday. I also want to say I'm not concerned with getting rich here so no order is too small, I sold one guy 2 of them and thats fine with me. I am just excited that people like them and I am more than happy to make them for you guys. Will update soon, Thanks - Brian

*edit for color list...

Okay guys, this is kind of a generic message I sent to eveyone who expressed interest. I have been doing a flat rate shipping of $8 for smaller orders (under 10) and $15 for larger orders. Afetr they have shipped I will refund any extra shipping money left over so you will pay EXACT shipping charges. I should be able to cut them for eveyone who has paid this Saturday. I have never really done something like this so if I forgot to PM you just send me another one. Also if possible put your screen name from here on the paypal message since a few guys have ordered the same quanities, just want to make sure I get everyones colors right. Here is a color list, the amount of each color I have is limited to what scrap I have left over from dead jobs. I seem to have a decent amount of most of this but will eventually run out of some colors and will not be able to get anymore until we do another job of that color. Since I do not have an exact idea of how much material I have of each color I guess the only fair thing would be whoever sends payment first will get first pick in order of payments recieved. These are also primered on one side and ready for paint if you choose to use your own custom color and paint it yourself. I have never painted them but my co worker has painted other stuff we have made and has had very good results. I am not a paint guy though so I can't help much on that end I might find more colors this weekend since I am going to look around a little more, just as long as payment is sent and you don't mind waiting a little longer you would be able to get first pick on any new colors I find, but I really have no idea what we have (if any) other colors so I can't gaurantee I'll find anything but I will try Let me know if you have any questions, I am more than happy to help in any way possible. Thanks again! - Brian

*These are all ready to cut this saturday

Peru Bronze (more of a darker Brown)

Standard Red (running low on this but have enough for a few larger orders)

White

Dark Blue

Brushed Aluminum (cool aluminum color with brushed grain elements, also limited)

Optical Platinum Titanium (very limited)

Various Metallic Silvers (they vary in color but all orders will match so they don't look out of place next to each other)

Pewter

Various Bronze (they also range in color, I don't have a lot of this stuff right now that is all the same color but I should be able to accomodate a few orders)

Solid Black (this is a thinner stock material and would only look good as a stand alone all black order, I don' think it would look right next to the other colors due to the thinner stock, but if you are okay with it being thinner I can mix/match it)

*edit for color info

Also, for anybody else that wants sort of an idea of the colors, a lot of the material we use is from a place called alpolic

http://www.alpolic-usa.com/pages/pro...or-samples.php

They have a color sample section that has a basic idea but so many of the colors slightly vary/etc so if you have any questions I can look up the exact codes of what I have over the next few days. We also use composite from 2 other places called Reynobond and Alucobond but all the colors are pretty similar from all the different companies. Oh, many of the Metallics I have are custom colors made just for certain jobs but they are all shades of Silver/Bronze/etc.. and most only have small differences from the stock colors. Thanks guys! - Brian

• Like 8

Not trying to hijack your thread CC, but I thought you, Cebus and anyone else would get a kick out of my Space Invaders topper. Came as an 'extra' from a run of the newly produced playfield plastics for the pinball. This thing is awesome and the claws are separate from the main piece. I've got them secured with a couple of screws/nuts, but the way they hang off the front of the machine - just looks really neat. Am thinking a few strategically placed Invaders of yours, behind the machine, would look boss! I said "boss". Do people still say that? :lol:

post-13896-129237488111_thumb.jpg

Edited by save2600

Not trying to hijack your thread CC, but I thought you, Cebus and anyone else would get a kick out of my Space Invaders topper. Came as an 'extra' from a run of the newly produced playfield plastics for the pinball. This thing is awesome and the claws are separate from the main piece. I've got them secured with a couple of screws/nuts, but the way they hang off the front of the machine - just looks really neat. Am thinking a few strategically placed Invaders of yours, behind the machine, would look boss! I said "boss". Do people still say that? :lol:

post-13896-129237488111_thumb.jpg

MY WALLET JUST OPENED WITH THE FURY OF A THOUSAND SUNS.

CNC aluminum Invaders and a playfield invader hanging over my SI cab? YES OH GOD YES!

Thanks guys!

Yes, if anybody wants them just let me know. I don't have a great mounting system for them (industrial double stick tape made for metal products) but it does the trick on a flat surface, not so sure about stucko/etc.. The hard part (CAD/toolpath programming/etc..) is done with so I can rap these out rather effortlessly now. The material is pre painted and the colors depend on what building I am making at the time (I use the scrap left over) I think I have a lot of Blue right now. Just let me know if you want some of them, not looking to get rich but you would of course cover shipping and maybe a few bucks for my time. I will trade straight up for E.T. cartridges, yes, I am serious :)

Composite aluminum? Is that a layered sheet material, one layer of which is aluminum?

Yeah, pretty much. Composite center with thin aluminium covering each side. One side proffesionally painted, other side is sandable primer :)

Thanks guys!

Yes, if anybody wants them just let me know. I don't have a great mounting system for them (industrial double stick tape made for metal products) but it does the trick on a flat surface, not so sure about stucko/etc.. The hard part (CAD/toolpath programming/etc..) is done with so I can rap these out rather effortlessly now. The material is pre painted and the colors depend on what building I am making at the time (I use the scrap left over) I think I have a lot of Blue right now. Just let me know if you want some of them, not looking to get rich but you would of course cover shipping and maybe a few bucks for my time. I will trade straight up for E.T. cartridges, yes, I am serious :)

Composite aluminum? Is that a layered sheet material, one layer of which is aluminum?

Yeah, pretty much. Composite center with thin aluminium covering each side. One side proffesionally painted, other side is sandable primer :)

I'd like to have some to go with my "Super Space Stranger" Japanese SI clone when I get it up and running.

Shirley, you can't be serious. PM Sent.

What are the dimensions of them? I have a curved soffit area above my bar (mirroring the bartop shape) that they'd look great on if they were the right size.

I'll check that for you after work. I think the are under 1 foot, both ways since I think that is the size of the tiles I have them mounted on but I can't remember for sure.

Thanks guys!

only ET carts? :? :? :?

Thanks guys!

only ET carts? :? :? :?

Long story...well, not really, I hoard E.T. carts :) It will all make sense when the project is finished but I can't let the cat out of the bag yet ;)

OK, I have 8 inches to play with.

Wait, did that sound bad? :ponder:

Maybe I can find some other place, cuz those are awesome.

LOL :D I might have a CAD setting were I can reduce the size, let me check for you this week. If you wanted a bunch of them I would even redraw it for you, but it is a bit of work so at $1 each I would probably want you to get a minimum of 20 so I make a little money. I'll check for you...

Assuming you can find a consistent box size for shipping these to interested parties, can you let us know the package's dimensions and weight so we can figure the shipping costs from the various carriers' websites? With these being metal, I imagine a first-class stamp won't cut it. . . .

onmode-ky

Edited by onmode-ky

Assuming you can find a consistent box size for shipping these to interested parties, can you let us know the package's dimensions and weight so we can figure the shipping costs from the various carriers' websites? With these being metal, I imagine a first-class stamp won't cut it. . . .

onmode-ky

Yeah no problem. I will find a scale here and see what they weigh. What I have been doing is just a generic shipping quote of $8 for under 10 or them and $15 for over 10 of them. Any extra shipping money will be refunded after I ship so you will pay the exact amount for shipping, Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

onmode-ky

Yeah no problem. I will find a scale here and see what they weigh. What I have been doing is just a generic shipping quote of $8 for under 10 or them and $15 for over 10 of them. Any extra shipping money will be refunded after I ship so you will pay the exact amount for shipping, Thanks!

The cut out Invaders are awesome. Great job! :)

Hey everybody! Thanks again for everything, so far this has been a lot of fun! I ended up getting a LOT more orders than I expected, close to 400 invaders!! SWEET!! At around 5 min per unit that is about 2000 minutes (or 33+ hours) I have been trying like hell to squeeze that in to my 80 hour work week. It's been challenging, I'm not complaing at all, I love it! Unfortunately though it has pushed my ship date back a few days. With the post office being closed and 2 angry bosses that want me to work even more (end of the year thing I guess) I will have to ship these out Monday morning. Currently I have 100% cut, 70% cleaned and about 50% packaged and ready to go. I really underestimated the cleaning time, kind of forgot how time consuming it is but oh well, live and learn and I will plan accordingly for next time. I want everyone to know I am taking this very seriously and it is a top priority to make everyone happy so please, contact me if there are any problems. I am an easy going guy and will understand if there are any issues with the slight delay or any other questions/concerns just let me know I really do apoligize for the slowdown but I am very close and have been assured I will have Monday morning off from work so everything is looking good. Thanks again everyone, and for those that have asked for new orders I will glady make another run and continue to run them until every Atariage member who wants them gets them. I hope everyone will understand that I want to complete this first round before I take any new orders. The price will remain the same indefinetily ($1 per invader) at least until my boss asks for a cut just kidding, he is totally fine with me doing this. Thanks! - Brian

How have I missed this thread?!? What a cool-ass thing you have created! Expect a PM.

Edit: I read through the thread a little closer...I will wait till you post that you are ready for more orders before I PM. I think I will custom paint mine so, when we get there you will be able to use left over mix and match colors for mine.

Edited by Chuck D. Head