IGNORED

PS1 Mod chips?

Anyone know where to get a reasonably priced mod chip for the PS1? Or does anyone have the know-how and equipment to make me one? Of course I would compensate you for parts, labor, and shipping.

Please post here or PM me.

Dusty

I just found this website, does anyone know if it is reputable?

http://www.eurasia.nu/shop/default.php?cPath=52&PHPSESSID=f4100c4c6d74743c9d9d22b45505f4b9

Thanks

Dusty

Basically, you have three options.

A. Do it yourself. It's actually pretty simple. All you need is a 12C508, 12C508a, 12C509, or 12C509a chip (or compatible), a MultiMode 3 hex dump (which you can actually get from the downloads section at eurasia.nu), and a way to program the code into the chip. The chips are just over a $1 a piece, the code is free, the only issue is the PIC programmer (hardly a deal breaker, though; a $10 JDM programmer did the trick just fine for me). And of course you have to solder it in yourself (4-7 fairly small solder points, depending on the exact PS model). Good way to go if you want the whole DIY experience and feel like a PIC programmer is something you may have some use for in the future. Most challenging, but might actually be cheapest in the end.

B. Buy a ready-made chip. I think eurasia.nu and modchip.ca are about the only two places that still sell PS1 chips. Probably about $28-$30 (inc. shipping), but you still have to solder it in yourself (or find someone to do it for you).

C. Have someone chip the system for you. They won't charge you any more than $10 if they have any decency, but you would have to add shipping both ways to that. So it might end up in the same range as option B.

B. Buy a ready-made chip. I think eurasia.nu and modchip.ca are about the only two places that still sell PS1 chips. Probably about $28-$30 (inc. shipping), but you still have to solder it in yourself (or find someone to do it for you).

Goodness, it's not that expensive. The chips are $4 and shipping is $5. You could get a few chips and still pay the same $5 shipping.

Goodness, it's not that expensive. The chips are $4 and shipping is $5. You could get a few chips and still pay the same $5 shipping.

My bad--I only checked modchip.ca (and damn, is that place overpriced or what...). So, if you're not afraid of a little soldering, eurasia.nu is clearly the way to go.