IGNORED

Intellivision Ebay Roundup

If you look at the second pic on that other Checkers auction, it has a lot of damage at the top which the cart was hiding in the first photo. Yours is in much better condition. It looks like I'll need to get my copy up on the Bay soon if they are getting that much interest.

The more the merrier. Ready for another box of goodies?

• Like 1

What is an MTE-201 Test Cartridge?

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3723734764031?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=372373476403&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

It's a special cartridge made for Mattel Electronics repair technicians to test the console. It has various modes to test graphics, memory, ROM functionality, hand-controller input, etc.

It's rare because it wasn't released to the public, only to authorized repair centers. I've seen some in gatefold boxes as well.

-dZ.

• Like 1

It's a special cartridge made for Mattel Electronics repair technicians to test the console. It has various modes to test graphics, memory, ROM functionality, hand-controller input, etc.

It's rare because it wasn't released to the public, only to authorized repair centers. I've seen some in gatefold boxes as well.

-dZ.

Are you sure about the gatefold boxes? The various demo carts have gatefold boxes but I think the MTE-201 only had the fan-made top-flap box.

Are you sure about the gatefold boxes? The various demo carts have gatefold boxes but I think the MTE-201 only had the fan-made top-flap box.

Oh, yeah, you may be right. I think I confused it with the "demo" cartridges. Right, sorry.

-dZ.

I'll have to see which ones I have and cross reference. I think there are a few with PC-XXXX SNs that I'm still missing. At least I have the box, though 8)

Looking at Steve's list I discovered I need two. They were in separate auctions. ?

Hi, hey do either of you have the PC Astrosmash, Space Armada or Triple Action with the PC number. All mine came with the boxed set but with the usual numbers.

I tried my best to nab it but just got to out of control for me. I thought for sure you were going to get it till the end.

Since I just need those two I wasn't going to go crazy and once someone I suspect from here won the first one I just let them go and it appears they won all three which is cool. ??

• Like 1

Hi, hey do either of you have the PC Astrosmash, Space Armada or Triple Action with the PC number. All mine came with the boxed set but with the usual numbers.

I'll check tomorrow.

Actually, I had them stored in a spreadsheet. My set came with all three of those manuals, but none were PC numbered.

I've attached a list of all the ones I have with unique PC numbers.

My set came with other manuals, but they either had normal part numbers or had no numbers at all (Buzz Bombers, Mission X, and Motocross).

post-32254-0-61226000-1532208066_thumb.png

Edited by JasonlikesINTV

Since I just need those two I wasn't going to go crazy and once someone I suspect from here won the first one I just let them go and it appears they won all three which is cool. ??

Agreed. I wasn't sure who the winner was but I knew the eBay ID was familiar and probably someone from here.

Here is the a list of manuals that came with my box. I added a new pair of overlays with each.

41 Total

3 with standard part number

5 with no number

PLAYCABLE - BOXED: ALL PLAYCABLE INSTRUCTIONS HAVE A SET OF OVERLAYS

Cable Comes Alive

Advanced Dungeons and Dragons

PC-3410-0920

Armor Battle

PC-1121-0920

Astrosmash

3605-0920

Auto Racing

PC-1113-0920

Backgammon

PC-1119-0920

Baseball

PC-2614-0920

Basketball

PC-2615-0920

Bowling

PC-3333-0720

Boxing

PC-1819-0920

BurgerTime

No Numbers

Buzz Bombers

No Numbers

Checkers

PC-1120-0920

Football

PC-2610-0920

Football, Playbook

PC-2610-0520

Frog Bog

PC-5301-0920

Golf

PC-1816-0920

Hockey

PC-1114-0920

Horse Racing

PC-1123-0920

Lock’N’Chase

PC-5637-0920

Math Fun

PC-2613-0920

Mission X

No Numbers

Motocross

No Numbers

Night Stalker

PC-5305-0920

Poker & Blackjack, Las Vegas

PC-2611-0920

Reversi

PC-5304-0920

Roulette

PC-1118-0920

Royal Dealer

PC-5303-0920

Sea Battle

PC-1818-0920

Shark Shark

No Numbers

Sharp Shot

PC-5638-0720

Skiing

PC-1817-0920

SNAFU

PC-3758-0920

Soccer

PC-1683-0920

Space Armada

3759-0920

Space Battle

PC-2612-0920

Space Hawk

PC-5136-0920

Star Strike

PC-5161-0920

Sub Hunt

PC-3408-0820

Tennis

PC-1814-0920

Triple Action

3760-0920

Utopia

PC-5149-0920

Word Fun

PC-1122-0920

Since I just need those two I wasn't going to go crazy and once someone I suspect from here won the first one I just let them go and it appears they won all three which is cool.

The suspect was real, the set playcable will be in Italy :) , I hope it is complete with all the booklets.

• Like 1

Burgertime, Buzz Bombers, and Mission X are 8k games and were supposed to be too big for playcable. Motocross is under 7k, not sure if it would have worked. Playcables actually have 8k ram, not sure what limits it. The original owner of the playcable instructions set probably bought some of those cartridges and stored the instructions with the others. Other than the PC part number, is there anything in the instructions that mentions playcable. Some of the early instructions mention plugging in the cartridge, did they edit that stuff out?

Edited by mr_me

Burgertime, Buzz Bombers, and Mission X are 8k games and were supposed to be too big for playcable. Motocross is under 7k, not sure if it would have worked. Playcables actually have 8k ram, not sure what limits it.

The limit was the actual physical RAM on the machine. My understanding is that it only had 4K of RAM. However, I find conflicting information online. Wikipaedia, for example, says 6K, but refers to a page on IntvFunHouse that does not mention it at all.

All I know for sure is that the BSR site says that it was unable to download the "larger games (8K or above)," which suggests that it had less than 8K of RAM. Considering it was designed and built during the early days of the Intellivision, I would imagine it stuck to the 4K limit.

My guess is that a hardware modification was not considered because by the time it was necessary, the PlayCable was not doing well in the marketplace. A chicken-and-egg problem, I suppose: doesn't support all the games, so it is not as attractive; and there's no point in upgrading it since it was not very popular...

-dZ.

Avanced Dungeons & Dragons, Locknchase, and Shark Shark were on playcable, so it had to support at least 6K roms. Someone posted a picture of a playcable circuit board on the intellivisionrevolution forum (it's down right now). I think it had 8k of 16-bit ram. Someone should open up their playcable and post a good picture of the circuit board.

edit:

Prior to 1983 the only games playcable couldn't support were Mazeatron and the intellivoice games. Something tells me playcable was designed to support 8k games but for whatever reason it couldn't. Maybe the playcable itself had to use some of that ram? Maybe they new about the limitation and is why they resisted making games bigger than 6k.

Edited by mr_me

Avanced Dungeons & Dragons, Locknchase, and Shark Shark were on playcable, so it had to support at least 6K roms. Someone posted a picture of a playcable circuit board on the intellivisionrevolution forum (it's down right now). I think it had 8k of 16-bit ram. Someone should open up their playcable and post a good picture of the circuit board.

edit:

Prior to 1983 the only games playcable couldn't support were Mazeatron and the intellivoice games. Something tells me playcable was designed to support 8k games but for whatever reason it couldn't. Maybe the playcable itself had to use some of that ram? Maybe they new about the limitation and is why they resisted making games bigger than 6k.

Probably.

Burgertime, Buzz Bombers, and Mission X are 8k games and were supposed to be too big for playcable. Motocross is under 7k, not sure if it would have worked. Playcables actually have 8k ram, not sure what limits it. The original owner of the playcable instructions set probably bought some of those cartridges and stored the instructions with the others. Other than the PC part number, is there anything in the instructions that mentions playcable. Some of the early instructions mention plugging in the cartridge, did they edit that stuff out?

Nothing in the text refers to the PC and the intro pages are the same. I check 4 of the 5 so don't know about Shark Shark. The only difference during my glance is the lack of a part number.

I think it's worth noting that most copies of Buzz Bombers, Burgertime, and Mission X, and Motocross came with manuals that had part numbers. Multiple PlayCable manual sets included ones without part numbers, so I think it's safe to say they are unique to the PlayCable manual set. Most people's sets also came with a few non-PC numbered manuals a that I believe were also originally included in the set. I say this because they're typically the same ones and the same versions/revisions.

Edited by JasonlikesINTV