IGNORED

Intellivision Ebay Roundup

I bought this lot.....

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3306330053861?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=330633005386&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

......since the unit looked nice. "Untested" but maybe I'll get a piece-of-shit-looking one that actually works (assuming this does not) and combine them. I was hoping to bid on AA user XXooXXooAAooXXX (or something like that - see "forsale" forum) who had INTV 3 with A/V mod, but I missed out.

Evidently, it's difficult to get a response to a PM when you're dealing with "Intellivison people." How to get an A/V mod? Advice? In all cases ----> F**K YOU. No wonder the system's not more popular. LOL!!!

I have fond memories of having one in the early 80s, and I recently received my Cuttle Cart 3, and the above system is on the way.

If anyone who reads Intellivision threads such as this one - and who IS kind, considerate, and knowledgeable-enough to consider a reply, I certainly would appreciate it. There seems to be a dearth of that, in the INTV enthusiasts. As an added bonus, any info about A/V mods and where to get them - would likely benefit other users, as well.

I must compare: The Colecovision. AA user "Yurkie" has pretty much instrumentally and single-handedly absolutely revived and rectified the Colecovision. His controller mods, A/V mods, and other stuff......meant that you can get a totally awesome, modded, refurbished system. Combined with the Atarimax CV SD cart, it's a dream come true. For the A2600, there are always at least ONE A/V mod producer/installer on the scene. Perhaps this is testament to the residual popularity of these systems.

The Harmony Cart and an A/V mod did this for Atari 2600

The PowerPak for NES did this for the NES, which has A/V.

The Everdrive carts from Krikzz/Stone Age Gamer did this for the Master System, Genesis, SNES, and N64. Obviously, these systems don't need A/V mods.

Well, that leaves ONE system from my youth, of which I'm fond of, and I'm trying to get back into: INTV. I bought the Cuttle Cart 3, but that leaves the A/V mod. It seems this really is a bastard-child system, as there's (1) no expert offering A/V mods, like with 2600, Colecovision, and (2) many whom I assume (perhaps through extreme naivete) to be knowledgeable - possibly or not, and deem others unworthy of a respond to a PM. HA HA HA!!! Suck on that. I guess it's RF with the INTV, since nobody knows better. Still, glad to have it, and the Cuttle Cart 3 is an engineering marvel, certainly worthy of the INTV. Schell Electronics (who sell the CC3) is run by a responsive guy, who's a pleasure to deal with. What a nice break, from the rest of the INTV community, if my limited dealings are representative - and they may NOT be, but I merely divulge my experiences.

:-D This was an entertaining post! OK, for starters I'd say if that thing works for $26 you got a good deal, especially since those covers are hard to come by. Ever since this thread got moved from the Intellivision section to the Auction area it just doesn't get looked at as much unfortunately....that said, it surprises me that someone from our little SUPER FRIENDLY ;) Intellivision sub-forum wouldn't respond to a PM (Seriously, we're pretty nice!) In fact, I'd suggest this part of AA is about the most drama free zone of all the forums. If there's anything you want to know please feel free to PM me, although I must admit to having the technical knowledge of a dishcloth, for that I'd contact jaybird. :-D I would suggest, as you mentioned might possibly be the case, that your limited dealings are not representative of the INTV community at all. I suspect others will tell you the same thing.

What I can say is that there really isn't anyone providing an ongoing modding service like what Yurkie does, in fact, modding INTV's was something he was considering as I sent him a number of systems to play around with, but I believe he didn't feel it was financially worthwhile. I know that there are a few that have been modded as a one-off and I wish someone could provide fantastic service and mods like Yurkie does ( I have a couple of his systems and they're awesome!). As a question to the INTV folks at large, how much would you be willing to pay for a modded INTV? There may be a couple of folks interested in doing this who maybe need to know that it's financially worthwhile for them to do so.

If there's anything game-wise or system-wise you're looking for wood_jl, please feel free to PM me. I promise I won't be a pric...I'll be nice. :-D Just sayin.

I've also found that the Intellivision community is very friendly, and am mystified by wood_jl's experience. What I can say is that, last I knew, the state of AV modding for the Intellivision was not that great. From what I recall, there was still some ghosting and other imperfections in the AV mod that was going around a couple years ago, but perhaps that's changed since then and perhaps ooXxXoo or another modder has found a near-perfect solution.

BTW a non-response does not equal "f--- you"! Sometimes people are just busy, or overlook the PM, or any number of other things. Obviously the classy thing to do is always to write back in a timely manner, but I'd hate to think that every person I've ever neglected to write back to has interpreted it that way.

Certainly I don't interpret other people's nonresponses that way, unless we've already had a conversation going and they suddenly disappear -- like the guy (who will remain nameless) on a certain website (also to remain nameless, but not AA) who offered me $250 for an item of mine, then promptly stopped replying to my PMs as soon as it came time to pay (but thankfully before I'd shipped). That felt like a "f--- you", especially since he never did explain himself, yet later had the chutzpah to suggest that I should buy his book sometime...

Who cares about an AV mod?

Get a coaxial adapter and if you need to an old TV and your rocking

None of my systems are AV modded and they never will be, they just dont need to be, no reason at all

The picture on my ColecoVision looks amazing

My Intellivision comes in crystal clear

My 2600 is a vision of perfection

• Like 1

I must say, I am somewhat embarrassed for my frustrated outburst, at the Intellivision community! And what a small community it is! And how much better that makes it to be a part of, aside from the fact that I DID own one back in the day, and as such my nostalgia is deeply-rooted.

Both the "Intellivision people" I suggestively besmirched replied to me in kind. As Nicholson said in "A Few Good Men," - don't I feel like the ****ing ***hole.

Thanks for the tips. I'm glad to see there actually *is* an Intellivision community. I still would like to see ONE MAN ON EARTH offer A/V upgrades. Would this not be a "sustainable competitive advantage" or are the INTV enthusiasts of the world to few, far between, and broke?

Saw a "Tandyvision" and "Pro System" original INTV on Ebay. System was that popular, in addition to Sears? Really?

I must say, I am somewhat embarrassed for my frustrated outburst, at the Intellivision community! And what a small community it is! And how much better that makes it to be a part of, aside from the fact that I DID own one back in the day, and as such my nostalgia is deeply-rooted.

Both the "Intellivision people" I suggestively besmirched replied to me in kind. As Nicholson said in "A Few Good Men," - don't I feel like the ****ing ***hole.

Thanks for the tips. I'm glad to see there actually *is* an Intellivision community. I still would like to see ONE MAN ON EARTH offer A/V upgrades. Would this not be a "sustainable competitive advantage" or are the INTV enthusiasts of the world to few, far between, and broke?

Saw a "Tandyvision" and "Pro System" original INTV on Ebay. System was that popular, in addition to Sears? Really?

The sarcasm in your post is amazing

Oh, really? I thought it was apologetic. Silly me!

But I must ask - exactly what was I sarcastic about, and what is (specifically, and if at all) the point in your most poignant observation? Inquiring minds want to know. But I suggest we get back to Intellivision, as I am lead to believe that's what we're here to discuss. Thanks for your obviously deep thought, however. :)

But I must ask - exactly what was I sarcastic about, and what is (specifically, and if at all) the point in your most poignant observation? Inquiring minds want to know. But I suggest we get back to Intellivision, as I am lead to believe that's what we're here to discuss. Thanks for your obviously deep thought, however. :)

:rolling:

Such verbosity and specificity! Actually, exactly what was expected! Top o' the mornin' to ya, lad! :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

I do like the Nicholson quote. :thumbsup: Seriously though, I hope you didn't think I was taking a shot at you when I responded? (I haven't figured out if I was one of the "Intellivison People" you feel you besmirched. :? ) We may be small but honestly we're pretty welcoming, I meant it sincerely when I said if you need anything let me know, I just might have it at Cmart, the shelves are rather full. :-D

As for the modded systems, it really is a pain in the ass that they aren't more readily available (read:at all). Maybe I can try convincing Yurkie again to take a shot at them as I think people would be willing to pay a similar amount to what he charges for a modded CV. I think there's as big an audience for the INTV as for the CV, if the homebrew sales numbers are any indication....

Believe it or not there are actually 10 versions of the Intellivision.... :ponder: :o

Again, welcome to the only drama free part of AA. :lolblue:

Such verbosity and specificity! Actually, exactly what was expected! Top o' the mornin' to ya, lad! :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Oh sorry you wanted me to break down your sarcastic post?

Ok calling the INTV enthusiasts broke is not the way to join up and make fast friends

Saying " And what a small community it is! " is obviously you talking smack

Your use of quotes around "Intellivision people" is an attempt to alienate and distance yourself as being thought of as a member of such a small community

This statement is the most sarcastic of them all "I'm glad to see there actually *is* an Intellivision community" putting * * around the word is has to be the most ludicrous example of sarcasm in the history of the universe

Having your caps locked on "ONE MAN ON EARTH" might just top the Mt Everest of being sarcastic

And your last part is the cherry on the sarcastic top "Saw a "Tandyvision" and "Pro System" original INTV on Ebay. System was that popular, in addition to Sears? Really?"

If you had an INTV back in the day and have all this so called nostalgia for it, how would you not know it was popular enough to have so many companies use it?

I hope my sarcastic post helped you point out your sarcastic post :-D

Relax, Al, I'm not out to get you, or the INTV community. I think we have a misunderstanding. I'm eager to read about your thoughts on how to achieve INTV A/V mods, since "ONE MAN ON EARTH" who can do this feat, is not sarcasm, but something desirable. Is "he" you? Have I been rude to the man who can mod my INTV? If so, I'm afraid I've lost this round, and I'm sorry about that. If there's more than "ONE MAN ON EARTH" modding INTVs for A/V for a commission, I'd certainly be interested in hearing about it. Once again, if I've been rude, I apologize. Now, disclose your thoughts on A/V mods, if you please! Or if you don't think they're necessary, I'd like to read that, too. Seriously, no offense intended. :party:

Edited by wood_jl

No offense taken at all! I thought you were joking around and being sarcastic, thats what I was doing in my last post

My thoughts is that you have no need for an AV mod

Why do you want an INTV that has been AV modded so bad? All of us (the super small community lol) have no problems using RF with a coax adapter

Is that not an option for you? Do you own a TV that has no RF plug?

If thats the case do you not have an older TV at your house?

I just see no reason to Mod your INTV, my picture comes in perfect, and like I said in the other thread my INTV isnt even hooked directly up, it goes through my NES adapter

Same with my ColecoVision and Atari 2600

I think if you would explain why you have to have an AV mod on your INTV so bad then it would be easier to understand where your coming from

I think if you would explain why you have to have an AV mod on your INTV so bad then it would be easier to understand where your coming from

Well, every system that I have that can hook up both ways (most of 'em) has a superior picture through composite, and more-so if S-video is offered, although a little less of a gain over standard composite. You would agree with this, eh? I just tried an Atari (XE) both ways and was reassured of this. (It doesn't help that my INTV from Ebay is broken, but more on that later)!

Take care!

Well, every system that I have that can hook up both ways (most of 'em) has a superior picture through composite, and more-so if S-video is offered, although a little less of a gain over standard composite. You would agree with this, eh? I just tried an Atari (XE) both ways and was reassured of this. (It doesn't help that my INTV from Ebay is broken, but more on that later)!

Take care!

How much more superior can it be? I have a clear picture through RF, I mean unless the picture quality for an AV mod looks like HD TV im not sure its worth spending any amount of money on it

How much better and sharper can you make a game from 1980 look?

I would love to see side by side screen shots of the difference in picture quality

This should be interesting...first DK Arcade up for auction to the best of my knowledge.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1406374608221?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=140637460822&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Bets on final price? With nothing to base it on I'll throw out a guess of $150. :ponder:

I want this game so bad

Im such a huge Donkey Kong fan (and player) that $150 for this game might be worth it to me because I would play it all the time

How much more superior can it be? I have a clear picture through RF, I mean unless the picture quality for an AV mod looks like HD TV im not sure its worth spending any amount of money on it

I would love to see side by side screen shots of the difference in picture quality

Funny, but my experience has been that the NEWER the system, the less the difference is. That is, a SNES using its official RF adapter looks pretty darn good! An Atari 2600 or Atari 8-bit computer looks like shit. Interference, wavy lines, etc. It doesn't take much interference to become annoying, in an age where we're used to having a "perfect" picture.

So, the game from 1980 can look significantly sharper. I have A/V modded Atari 2600 and the S-video is razor sharp. Sure, there's the 1980's resolution - but that has nothing to do with the sharpness, contrast, stability, and freedom from interference that we're after. Look at all the other systems that people have A/V mods for. I have one of the modded Colecovisions from AA user "Yurkie" and its composite output is FABULOUS.

People A/V mod everything console-wise. It's very popular, and there are solutions and services available for most of them. S-video for Genesis. Composite for NES top-loader. Composite/S-video for Atari 5200. Composite/S-video for Atari 7800. There are mod kits for 2600s on Ebay, all the time. Since necessity is the mother of invention, there must be a need, or this wouldn't be such a popular mod.

My whole point was the dearth of options for doing this to the INTV. The fact that no option currently exists for INTV does not render the desire for said option unnecessary. How much better would an A/V modded INTV look? I don't really know, since I've never seen one, but if it looks anything like the improvement on the Ataris or Colecovision, it's pretty sweet.

But that's fine - I'll take INTV any way I can get it. And since the Ebay one I ordered was junk, I have none at this point. I'd settle for RF and a working console, at this point. Not quite sure where to get one at a reasonable price.

The one I received as "untested" so I knew I was taking a chance. However, as soon as I opened the package, I removed the unit and turned it over to look at the bottom and I heard something bounce off the carpet. It was the reset button!!! It was just dropped in place, but loose. Then I heard parts rattling around inside the unit.

"Untested" - HA! To be sure! I can't believe the seller would hide the fact that there were parts loose inside. Maybe they never inverted the machine, or shook it? I'd be terrified of negative feedback to say something was "untested" (which leaves the possibility that it may work) when there are parts rattling around inside (which clearly greatly reduce or completely remove that possibility.

So big INTV FAIL for me so far. However, I'm willing to try again, but I need to come up with some "Strategery" on how to not get screwed again. I assumed these machines are somewhat reliable, but I'm new to this console (again)!

The fact that no option currently exists for INTV does not render the desire for said option unnecessary. How much better would an A/V modded INTV look? I don't really know, since I've never seen one, but if it looks anything like the improvement on the Ataris or Colecovision, it's pretty sweet.

Well, an AV mod has definitely been done before, as you know. Like I said, I remember that jaybird3rd (IIRC) had one and noted that it was somewhat disappointing, so maybe the kinks haven't been fully worked out.

Personally, I find that RF with a good cable looks good enough for me most of the time, but sure, I'd enjoy having an AV-modded Intellivision. The ability to use standard 3-connector RCA cables would probably be as much of a motivator, though, since several of my consoles use hardwired RF, and changing back and forth between VCS, Odyssey^2 and the non-hardwired consoles gets annoying.

Want to see something amazing? This was the thread i was looking for. But click the link in the first post. I'll provide that as well. And he also Mods Intellivision's. But look at all the custom systems he has. It's enough to bring a tear to your eye. :_( :)

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135258&highlight=service

http://gametz.com/?user=platinumfungi

Funny, but my experience has been that the NEWER the system, the less the difference is. That is, a SNES using its official RF adapter looks pretty darn good! An Atari 2600 or Atari 8-bit computer looks like shit. Interference, wavy lines, etc. It doesn't take much interference to become annoying, in an age where we're used to having a "perfect" picture.

So, the game from 1980 can look significantly sharper. I have A/V modded Atari 2600 and the S-video is razor sharp. Sure, there's the 1980's resolution - but that has nothing to do with the sharpness, contrast, stability, and freedom from interference that we're after. Look at all the other systems that people have A/V mods for. I have one of the modded Colecovisions from AA user "Yurkie" and its composite output is FABULOUS.

People A/V mod everything console-wise. It's very popular, and there are solutions and services available for most of them. S-video for Genesis. Composite for NES top-loader. Composite/S-video for Atari 5200. Composite/S-video for Atari 7800. There are mod kits for 2600s on Ebay, all the time. Since necessity is the mother of invention, there must be a need, or this wouldn't be such a popular mod.

My whole point was the dearth of options for doing this to the INTV. The fact that no option currently exists for INTV does not render the desire for said option unnecessary. How much better would an A/V modded INTV look? I don't really know, since I've never seen one, but if it looks anything like the improvement on the Ataris or Colecovision, it's pretty sweet.

But that's fine - I'll take INTV any way I can get it. And since the Ebay one I ordered was junk, I have none at this point. I'd settle for RF and a working console, at this point. Not quite sure where to get one at a reasonable price.

The one I received as "untested" so I knew I was taking a chance. However, as soon as I opened the package, I removed the unit and turned it over to look at the bottom and I heard something bounce off the carpet. It was the reset button!!! It was just dropped in place, but loose. Then I heard parts rattling around inside the unit.

"Untested" - HA! To be sure! I can't believe the seller would hide the fact that there were parts loose inside. Maybe they never inverted the machine, or shook it? I'd be terrified of negative feedback to say something was "untested" (which leaves the possibility that it may work) when there are parts rattling around inside (which clearly greatly reduce or completely remove that possibility.

So big INTV FAIL for me so far. However, I'm willing to try again, but I need to come up with some "Strategery" on how to not get screwed again. I assumed these machines are somewhat reliable, but I'm new to this console (again)!

The Video signal is an electrical signal that can decay if old cables or many connections are used. The Atari 2600 and others wha had the Rf cable attached is probably that the cable itself are causing the noise and poor quality, due manipulation (excessive bending, crushing or just age). Also the Rf Switchbox is not necessary at all, you can use and adapter (sold everywhere, including Atari Age) that can convert an Rca cable directly to Rf cable, the less stuff between The console and the Tv is better, less impedance and more signal strength.

So you can use for you Intv a good quality Yellow Rca cable (with gold tips maybe is better) and the adapter and you will get a crystal clear picture unless the Console have problems with the Rf unit (could happen) I really don´t need anything else. I will not risk my Console for something unnecessary (to me).

So that´s maybe the Video mods for this system are so hard to find, Because are not really a great deal.