IGNORED

Altirra 1.8 released

phaeron

I haven't announced it on my blog yet, but version 1.8 of my Atari 8-bit emulator Altirra is now final:

Altirra home page

The full changelog is at the bottom of the page; this is the first major version that has 5200 support. There are no significant changes from the last test version (1.8-test35) other than version number fixups. Thanks to everyone who provided feedback and bug testing, and apologies to anyone who had feature requests that didn't make it in for version 1.8.

Version 0.8 of the Acid800 test suite is also on that page, and includes new tests for the 6502 BRK/NMI bug, the ANTIC blocked NMI bug, and POKEY init mode timing.

• Like 5

Great work :thumbsup:

Some :idea: s:

How about making the default kernel's splash screen a bit more beginner friendly - add instructions on using File Boot image to load a game, mention the readme is on the Help menu under Contents, may be list some links to popular atari sites. You could add a default file name to the save frame.

This is probably caused by my abuse of the display list, but I think it was ok on previous versions of altirra:?: - When I tried Gwobby Strikes Back I get this on the default kernel:

post-19705-129310150814_thumb.png

When I select 600XL/800XL it is ok:

post-19705-129310159454_thumb.png

Thanks as always Phaeron...

Just a little thing, the cheater, I've always presumed that when you found your location and double clicked it to the right box that the tick defined that the location was locked or not?

But upon playing I found that ticked or not the location was frozen and the only was to stop that was to delete that location. What does the tick mean?

Anyway Happy Holidays

Edited by Mclaneinc

I haven't announced it on my blog yet, but version 1.8 of my Atari 8-bit emulator Altirra is now final:

Altirra home page

The full changelog is at the bottom of the page; this is the first major version that has 5200 support. There are no significant changes from the last test version (1.8-test35) other than version number fixups. Thanks to everyone who provided feedback and bug testing, and apologies to anyone who had feature requests that didn't make it in for version 1.8.

Version 0.8 of the Acid800 test suite is also on that page, and includes new tests for the 6502 BRK/NMI bug, the ANTIC blocked NMI bug, and POKEY init mode timing.

Ditto on the hard work. It's very much appreciated.

Great work :thumbsup:

Some :idea: s:

How about making the default kernel's splash screen a bit more beginner friendly - add instructions on using File Boot image to load a game, mention the readme is on the Help menu under Contents, may be list some links to popular atari sites. You could add a default file name to the save frame.

That screen is being done entirely in 6502 code, so there are limits to what I can do, particularly when ROM space is taken into account. :)

Realistically, the help file is supposed to be the main place you'd go for that information. The main reason for that screen is just to let people know that they're running on the placeholder kernel.

This is probably caused by my abuse of the display list, but I think it was ok on previous versions of altirra:?: - When I tried Gwobby Strikes Back I get this on the default kernel:

Looks like I introduced a bug where the Default option chooses the wrong ROM... it is supposed to choose XL/XE over HLE when you have the former. As for why the screen is garbled, that's due to problems in the E:/S: handler of the HLE kernel. I don't know what Atari was thinking when they designed the screen editor, but it's complex to implement (and quite slow).

Just a little thing, the cheater, I've always presumed that when you found your location and double clicked it to the right box that the tick defined that the location was locked or not?

But upon playing I found that ticked or not the location was frozen and the only was to stop that was to delete that location. What does the tick mean?

It's supposed to enable or disable the cheat, but it looks like that's broken.

Thank you! The watches are here, finally :)

I would love to have one more feature: to see how many CPU cycles left in the current frame until the next VBLANK.

This would be very useful as I try to make my next game NTSC/PAL compatible (much more useful than raster bars or VCOUNT).

Number of cycles in the current line till HBLANK would be nice too ;)

• 3 weeks later...

When I try and record a video from Altirra I get the error below (Windows XP). Im selecting ZMBV as I thought that was the way of producing smaller files :?: (RLE says not available as 24 bit video being used, NONE works but files are larger :ponder: )

"A fatal error has occurred in the emulator. A minidump file called AltirraCrash.mdmp has been written for diagnostic purposes. Exception code: e06d7363 PC: 7c812afb"

AltirraCrash.mdmp.txt

FYI: I had some troubles getting Altirra 1.6-1.8 to work with wine on my Linux box, I always got a black display window (tried wine versions 1.0.1, 1.2.2 and now the latest 1.3.11).

This seems to be caused by a wine D3D bug, on the console I get this message:

fixme:d3d:swapchain_init Add OpenGL context recreation support to context_validate_onscreen_formats

The solution is to run Altirra either in GDI, DirectDraw or OpenGL mode by using the /gdi, /ddraw or /opengl command line switches - all three modes work fine with wine (tested with 1.2.2 and 1.3.11).

@phaeron: could you make the display mode configurable via a menu/ini/registry setting?

so long,

Hias

When I try and record a video from Altirra I get the error below (Windows XP). Im selecting ZMBV as I thought that was the way of producing smaller files :?: (RLE says not available as 24 bit video being used, NONE works but files are larger :ponder: )

"A fatal error has occurred in the emulator. A minidump file called AltirraCrash.mdmp has been written for diagnostic purposes. Exception code: e06d7363 PC: 7c812afb"

AltirraCrash.mdmp.txt

Where'd you get your ZMBV decoder from? They seem to be quite rare, and I had difficulty finding one that worked properly, although I didn't get a crash like that. I had success with ffdshow (after install you have to enable ZMBV decoder in the "video decoder configuration"). Could be worth trying.

There was a bug in the video recorder that caused it to crash if there was an error during write (especially running out of disk space), but I also happened to find another bug that was causing ZMBV recorded videos to not read properly in some problems. Both bugs should be fixed in this version:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-1.9-test5.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-1.9-test5-src.zip

As for how to play/decode the videos, I recommend using ffdshow-tryouts. Enable ZMBV in both video and VFW configuration.

I have seen programs that support Amiga mouse.

Therefore I think Amiga mouse support should be added to Altirra.

What's one of the programs? Not hard to implement, but I'd need something to test against.

Would there be a possibility for new version that using "BOOT IMAGE" doesn't clear "DISK DRIVE" assignment?

This is intentional, to prevent accidentally mixing images. Use Open Image if you don't want existing images cleared; Boot Image is just clear + mount + cold reset. For drag-and-drop, hold down SHIFT when dropping the image.

could you make the display mode configurable via a menu/ini/registry setting?

Yeah, I need to put in a config dialog at some point.