IGNORED

Apple //e Overload

Koopa64

Double hi-res is just a term for the somewhat better graphics you could get as a result of the 80-column adapter. I grew up with an Apple //c, so mine came with this. There really was no "single hi-res".

For en example of a double hi-res game, try the game "Airheart" by Broderbund.

And yeah, from the pics, it looks like it'd be safe to plug in and try out. Give it a whirl.

Double hi-res is just a term for the somewhat better graphics you could get as a result of the 80-column adapter. I grew up with an Apple //c, so mine came with this. There really was no "single hi-res".

Ah, alright. I was just wondering what the 'double' part was for. I thought just 'high-res' would be enough, in comparison to low-res.

For en example of a double hi-res game, try the game "Airheart" by Broderbund.

I might have seen that game when I was flipping through the hundreds of diskettes I have now...

And yeah, from the pics, it looks like it'd be safe to plug in and try out. Give it a whirl.

Thanks. :) When I have the desktop all sorted out, I shall power up the old sot. The Apple //e shall once again do the task it was always meant to do... Play some games!! :D

Oh yeah, I was also gonna ask about playing internet-downloaded Apple][ games. Couldn't I just get a 5 1/4 inch floppy drive for one of my Windows PCs and write a game to a spare floppy disk? Or can you not find a program that can work with ProDOS formatted disks? Do I have to buy this 'ADT Pro' thing?

Yeah, ADT Pro is probably the best/cheapest alternative for getting the images you see on the net onto disks on the //e. I don't think you have to buy anything though. There seems to be ways for getting it running without ordering the program for the Apple. (I think..)

http://adtpro.sourceforge.net/index.html

That's the website for it.

There are some people out there who have made SD card adapters, but they all are in limited supply and can be quite expensive.

Have fun gaming! My //c died like 15 years ago, I was sad. I always think of picking one up, but a //c on ebay seems to go for more than I really want to pay to play Wings of Fury again.

See if you have Black Magic in your disk collection. It was easily the most underrated and one of the best action games.

Yeah, ADT Pro is probably the best/cheapest alternative for getting the images you see on the net onto disks on the //e. I don't think you have to buy anything though. There seems to be ways for getting it running without ordering the program for the Apple. (I think..)

http://adtpro.sourceforge.net/index.html

That's the website for it.

Alright, thanks for the link. But it looks like a pain in the ass, especially since I don't have a super serial card I'm pretty sure. Though perhaps there's one in those 80 column card boxes...

... Couldn't I just get a 5 1/4 inch drive for a Windows PC and write disks that way? That sounds like a much smaller headache.

Have fun gaming! My //c died like 15 years ago, I was sad. I always think of picking one up, but a //c on ebay seems to go for more than I really want to pay to play Wings of Fury again.

I actually have Wings of Fury. I specifically remember seeing that one because there was this long piece of paper as some instructions sticking out of the floppy sleeve.

See if you have Black Magic in your disk collection. It was easily the most underrated and one of the best action games.

Can't say I saw that one. I might though. :)

!! THIS !!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayes_Microcomputer_Products

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Micromodem_II_in_Apple_II.jpg

http://www.apple2world.jp/apple2/COL/MapItems/card/img/MICROMODEM2.jpg

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Hayes_Microcomputer_Producs_Inc._Microcoupler_Off_Hook_for_Apple_II.JPG

http://www.dvq.com/oldcomp/photos2/hayes_mc1.JPG

This is what I learned all about telecommunications with! I still have my original hardware from the late 70's, but these pics will do..

I remember my neighbor's dad telling me (around grade 5 or 6 I think) how lucky I was to have a direct-connect modem instead of having to deal with an acoustic coupler! This was the shit babycakes! We could send an entire 140k floppy disk in about 3 or 4 hours. And the text scrolled by slower than what you could read.

This little modem (I'll post pics of all my original apple stuff sooner or later) taught me about Baud rates, originate/answer modes, off hook, and the difference between pulse/tone dial. Then came the protocols, a simple Ack/Nak at first, then I learned what X-Modem and later Y-Modem protocols were. I *think* we also did Kermit too. Z-Modem? That came later, and I don't recall using with this hardware. It may have been too processor intensive for the Apple II+. But CRC's were the first things I got familiar with, because we had to manually check a short list of about 5 or 6 numbers like A3428FE3B! Yes! Manual CRC checks were the order of the day. And if those didn't match, then that meant another hour because we had to redo the transfer, and that cut into the cold and rainy nights of gaming..

I learned to use ASCII-Express and even set up an AE Line, and later a Networks+ BBS. We also had a terminal program that would let you type AND transfer warez (pirate disks) at the same time. And we had (maybe it was the same one) a term that would transfer pictures realtime. We could see the image form on the screen, it took like 10 or 15 minutes for this work.

I kinda knew what was happening with the circuit board that plugged into the Apple 'mainframe' proper, but the stuff in the external MicroCoupler box was a nice little mystery. And I think I preferred it that way. This was one of the sub-systems of the Apple ][+ that was very reliable and very easy to use. You could sit down and get right to business, the hardware was just there, doing its job in the background. Whenever we had transfer problems we always questioned the phone line, never this modem. And we were correct.

It was nice to program a sub-system that had clear and concise documentation. It made the experience so smooth you forgot any limitations and neatly side-stepped them effortlessly without thinking much.

http://mirrors.apple2.org.za/Apple%20II%20Documentation%20Project/Interface%20Cards/Modem%20Cards/Hayes%20Micromodem%20II/Manuals/

Though the manual I used was even better, it was 9x11 book-sized.

And chapters 1 & 9 were my favorite, since those well-written tidbits really conveyed a ton of info in one fell-swoop. I learned as much from those chapters as a I did during a whole week of elementary school.

And this here advertisement is how I like to remember the whole modem setup.

http://mirrors.apple2.org.za/Apple%20II%20Documentation%20Project/Interface%20Cards/Modem%20Cards/Hayes%20Micromodem%20II/Photos/Micromodem%20II%20-%20Ad%202.jpg

I remember doing all my wargames dialing with this modem too.

Despite the AppleCat modem being superior in many ways, except for reliability, I'll always consider this MM the best modem for the II series. Sure I'm biased, but hey!!

There was no aspect of computing, at that time, that could have been more exciting. The mystery of getting all cozied up in the wood paneled basement and calling bbs's and going on virtual vacations across the country was all very compelling and a cool experience. Even more cool was getting into discussions with my buddies regarding wondering if we should page the sysop of the other systems at like 1am for talking about what new games were coming out. This was totally cool on a snowy and sleety night that usually resulted in a day off school. Oftentimes we'd just connect the modem up to a line that was left off-hook, in hopes that some mysterious short circuit might happen in some distant switching office or something; and we'd connect to a really far far away computer by chance. Once in a while we'd get some random characters we thought were secret codes from spies. And when we'd randomly dial *all* the numbers at NASA, we would like to imagine were were hooking up to the DSN antennas and receiving alien communication cyphers and stuff like that. Once in a while we seemed to connect to some sort of computer, but its behavior was so strange we REALLY believed we connected through (by our clever programming) their network and got out and onto a hyperspace carrier that allowed us to receive the faint signals of the logistic communications from an alien transportation system. We hooked our RadioShack Globe Patrol Short Wave receiver to the computer and some electronics project kits as well. The kits were like co-processors to provide extra decoding capability and protocol control. And they connected the computer, modem, and radio all together in one large electronic network. The short wave radio (we modified it) translated the alien language into human hearable sounds. INCREDIBLE!! We had some car audio equalizers from Olson Electronics and some cool speakers from Lafayette Electronics. I had even custom modded my Transistor Tester to connect the outdoor antenna to the MicroModem. We even, for real, called NASA and the CIA to offer our help in handling the communications load. To top it all off, I applied for a grant at the local DCFS office to get me an extra hundred bucks to get me the Sider Drive. I had the proposal read by the boss and everything. They came out and gave me $50!! Wow! Now I swelled up in size since I had the backing of a gubbaament agency. I built-up an immense sized library of audio tapes recorded from the short-wave audio enhancement circuit. We sent the tapes back to NASA a few months later, and they wrote us asking if we had anything more to offer. So we did another run of s/w recordings. Man these were exciting times!

The MicroCoupler and MicroModem and Apple II+ were at the locus of everything. Man you should have seen this setup!

Now you can see why the early days kicked-ass. Even today's internet is nowhere near as fun. Fun? Yes.. Magical-frontier-like DISCOVERY, no, no frakking way.

• Like 1

Despite the AppleCat modem being superior in many ways, except for reliability, I'll always consider this MM the best modem for the II series. Sure I'm biased, but hey!!

There'd be a lot in the old pirating and phreaking scene that would debate with that. The AppleCat II was more popluar with us types because of it's advanced capabilities. a) It supported Bell 202 half-duplex 1200 bit/s transfer (unheard of at the time), which could also be hacked to reverse directions during transfers for two way communication. b) It could be programmed to detect and generate tones directly to the phone line. The latter being important for boxing and a host of other applications such as cool voice synthesis answering apps.

There'd be a lot in the old pirating and phreaking scene that would debate with that. The AppleCat II was more popluar with us types because of it's advanced capabilities. a) It supported Bell 202 half-duplex 1200 bit/s transfer (unheard of at the time), which could also be hacked to reverse directions during transfers for two way communication. b) It could be programmed to detect and generate tones directly to the phone line. The latter being important for boxing and a host of other applications such as cool voice synthesis answering apps.

Well sure, the cat had a ton of cool features, not to mention a timer that could be referenced through a very very small routine to provide a software clock. And of course there were music synthesizer software for the UART chip on the modem..

I just liked the MicroModem II for sentimental reasons.

post-22723-129464701023_thumb.jpg

Looking at that screen, I do believe you have a version of Spy Hunter that hasn't yet been archived online! All the ones on the Asimov FTP site are the same PPG (Pacific Pirates Guild) crack, but yours seems to be from a different group.

Have you determined whether you have sufficient hardware to run ADTPro? It can be used in the reverse direction too - creating disk images on your PC/Mac from the Apple floppies. It's an ongoing project/obsession of mine to image all the Apple II software I can get my hands on, before the disks finally deterioriate into unreadability. I then upload the images to Asimov, which is itself mirrored on other sites, giving this vintage software the relative permanence of the Internet.

Judging from your other photos, you have a ton of software, and I'd bet a decent chunk of it isn't yet online. Where there's smoke, there's fire...

If you have any interest in preserving this stuff, awesome - otherwise, heck, I'd probably pay for the shipping of those disks if you wanted to let me have a quick crack at them. ;)

Edited by Streck

post-22723-129464701023_thumb.jpg

Looking at that screen, I do believe you have a version of Spy Hunter that hasn't yet been archived online! All the ones on the Asimov FTP site are the same PPG (Pacific Pirates Guild) crack, but yours seems to be from a different group.

Have you determined whether you have sufficient hardware to run ADTPro? It can be used in the reverse direction too - creating disk images on your PC/Mac from the Apple floppies. It's an ongoing project/obsession of mine to image all the Apple II software I can get my hands on, before the disks finally deterioriate into unreadability. I then upload the images to Asimov, which is itself mirrored on other sites, giving this vintage software the relative permanence of the Internet.

Judging from your other photos, you have a ton of software, and I'd bet a decent chunk of it isn't yet online. Where there's smoke, there's fire...

If you have any interest in preserving this stuff, awesome - otherwise, heck, I'd probably pay for the shipping of those disks if you wanted to let me have a quick crack at them. ;)

I have 3000+ disks and If I could get a hold of a kryo I'd be archiving these at 10 disks a day!

And now I'm working on my first crack in over 30years, the "victim" is SubLogic's Saturn Navigator. After that, I plan on Oo-Topos, the text-only version, Not the sierra graphic re-release.

Edited by Keatah

I have so many Apple II disks in my collection that haven't been archived (Toy Shop for one which is really cool), but I just don't have the time or energy to go through them all. Many of them came from my then neighbor the notorious(?) Al Ralsky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Ralsky) which I guess makes them extra cool. ;)

Some day I'll get around to it, I plan on at least organizing and re-labeling a bunch of them in the next few weeks as I'm getting back into the Apple again. I still wish we had 'AppleAge' or something similar.

Tempest

I have so many Apple II disks in my collection that haven't been archived (Toy Shop for one which is really cool), but I just don't have the time or energy to go through them all. Many of them came from my then neighbor the notorious(?) Al Ralsky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Ralsky) which I guess makes them extra cool. ;)

Some day I'll get around to it, I plan on at least organizing and re-labeling a bunch of them in the next few weeks as I'm getting back into the Apple again. I still wish we had 'AppleAge' or something similar.

Tempest

For now this board and applefritter will have to do. Though applefritter seems to plod along and "recent" topics are months and years old! I still say we need a forum right here for apple II, if we split the classic computing forum into the majors like apple/trs80/commodore/etc, i think it will do fine!

I was also thinking of setting up a few "dedicated" Apple II+ and //e systems and a pc or two to do an archiving service. One where you send me your disks(we split the postage) and I use a Kryo board or ADT and other necessary utilities. I put them in a .bin and .zip format suitable for posting or archiving yourself. This would be done on drives that have the write circuitry disabled at the "head amplifier" to absolutely insure your disks are not altered in any way

Oftentimes (myself included till recently) folks have collections of disks, really, hundreds and hundreds of disks! That they want posted and put into PC format, but don't have the time (more likely the patience). Once you have the hardware set-up just perfectly it becomes a matter of insert disk, press button, answer email, done!

This is great! 34 years after I learned what a modem was, and in the age of megabit cellular wireless; I find myself still wanting to play around with the 300 Baud MicroModem ][ and Apple-Cat. I recently did a standing ovation presentation on a 10MB hard disk vs. 1TB hard disk. I had that crowd roaring left and right! Vintage tech rocks! The disbelief of the new graduates was amusing.

Edited by Keatah

Looks like the version we had in typing class in California back in the 80s. All the games in the computer lab were cracks, Sneakers, Bolo, Hard Hat Mack, Lode Runner..

What a silly class that was. Learning to type "properly" formatted formal letters on IIe. I wanted a programing class but they didn't offer any, so I took typing so I could use the computers. Today programing is everywhere and typing proper memos only happens on "Mad Men". Even in 92 when I was in HS the only computer class offered was "This is a mouse" "The power switch is here". What a waste of hardware.

Looks like the version we had in typing class in California back in the 80s. All the games in the computer lab were cracks, Sneakers, Bolo, Hard Hat Mack, Lode Runner..

What a silly class that was. Learning to type "properly" formatted formal letters on IIe. I wanted a programing class but they didn't offer any, so I took typing so I could use the computers. Today programing is everywhere and typing proper memos only happens on "Mad Men". Even in 92 when I was in HS the only computer class offered was "This is a mouse" "The power switch is here". What a waste of hardware.

When I was in HS, the only thing they offered was some sort of mathematical modeling in BASIC. And of course the data processing class where you learn what a disk and terminal are.

Regarding the cracked software, I think it is just natural and common sense. Cracked software is much better than protected commercial software It is much easier to keep a library of cracked warez than original disks. The cracked stuff can be copied and replaced in a matter of minutes without fussing with Locksmith or Echo and parameter tables and what not. It is easier to install and backup. ESPECIALLY TODAY, as yesterday you didn't really install anything with the Apple II, not much anyways.

Every single application on my PC, EVERY SINGLE ONE, is either FREEWARE or SHAREWARE or CRACKED COMMERCIAL. And I am picky about the software too. It must meet these requirements.

1- It must not be internet dependent, meaning it must not call home for verification or just getting basic help files online. I HATE that shit. Just give me a .PDF file to read. I don't want my stuff not working because it can't call home or something. I oftentimes use my system away from the 'net.

2- Updating it must happen at my command, no automatic updates. I don't want my existing features broken or modified in how they work.

3- I must be able to transfer the software from computer to computer if I need or want to. It must be transferable by common everyday means like a network, or USB jump drive (now there is a term still used today!!) Not for the purpose of giving it away and playing pirate, but for the practicality in restoring or rebuilding my computer. Last year I replaced a bad hard disk, and it was as simple as restoring a backup.

4- The software must not fill up my task manager with useless background processes, unless they are providing a specific service I want and need. No background licensing checks and that shit. I have only 20 or so processes running on an XP machine from 6 years ago, and it is rock solid.

5- It should un-install cleanly, though I am more lax with that aspect.

6- It must ABSOLUTELY NOT expire on a certain date, i.e. forced upgrades. I don't want to be left 'holding the bag' in a 'situation'. I need my software to work *NOW*.

7- It must install cleanly and not stomp all over my system. And using on-line installers/updaters (except 1 specific case because it is a manual procedure), is an absolute NO-NO!!

By following those general guidelines I have managed to keep ALL of my purchased commercial, and freeware software backed up and readily available should I upgrade or change hardware in a major manner. I started that practice back in the Apple ][+ days and it has served me well.

A simple way to test it is to imagine yourself as an IT systems admin on an interstellar voyage, and you need to ensure the software for day-to-day spacecraft operations is safeguarded, available, ready-to-go, and working. You are all self-contained and totally independent. And your software library must be available at all times. Now all communications with Earth have been cut off, and you need to re-build your computer from the ground up. You got spare hardware from ship's stores and manufacturing, so that is taken care of. Is your software library ready to go? Can you just copy and re-install everything?

There have been many-a-times I'd go buy some application or game or something, then immediately go online and download a cracked version and use that. Keeping the original safely stored away.

Having an Apple ][ when I was a toddler taught me a goldmine of info and "best practices" regarding information systems today! And the above stipulations are paramount!

Edited by Keatah

Well that's pretty interesting. I must warn you though, the semi that carries your car glitches up when it appears. The graphics change a bunch as it moves. Other than that, it works just as I remember it.

Unfortunately I have neither a Super Serial Card or the appropriate cable to go between Apple //e and Windows, so I'd be stuck with audio connections. I'm still not sure on the specifics of ADTPro though. Like how do I tell the Apple][ side of the program to write a game to a floppy disk? Do I need to have a writable disk in disk drive 2? Things like that.

Yeah, there's easily over 100 disks, probably closer to 200 or something. I didn't keep a count. Most of the disks are business tools and such. Not much in the way of games. That's mainly what I'd use ADTPro for - enlarging my collection of Apple][ games. :)

I'm all for preservation, problem is this is a boat load of Apple ][ stuff to go through. I'd be sitting here all day taking pictures and cataloging, so you people can determine what is worth preserving and what's not. Not to mention how absolutely slow audio transfers are...

As for the other posts, lots of excellent information and discussion. Before I reply to any of it I'll need to read over all of it. :D

Here's more info for you to go over..

An excellent emulator for you to try stuff out on -- http://applewin.berlios.de/

A great tool for manipulating and checking disk images on the pc -- http://ciderpress.sourceforge.net/

A refresher on ADT audio xfer's, but this may already have been linked -- http://adtpro.sourceforge.net/connectionsaudio.html

Here is an auction listing from FLEAbay for a superserial card, it is a little high priced at 20.00 .. I've seen them sell for 15 sometimes -- eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1106266026631?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=110626602663&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

You can get the serial card manual here -- http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CCgQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhomepage.mac.com%2Fjorgechamorro%2Fa2things%2Fa2_Super_Serial_Card.pdf&rct=j&q=apple%20super%20serial%20card%20pdf&ei=kv0sTY_jDYyr8AbEzNSlCQ&usg=AFQjCNGhY1w52641mKcG6pOSjA0etqea4w&cad=rja

Here are the other auctions -- http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=9&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&icep_uq=super+serial+card&icep_sellerId=&icep_ex_kw=&icep_sortBy=12&icep_catId=&icep_minPrice=&icep_maxPrice=&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg

I personally wouldn't spend more than 10-15 bucks for a SSC, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do!!

The ADTpro website has excellent tutorials and videos that cover everything. Read the BOOTSTRAPPING and OPERATIONS sections. There is also a video there too! Part of the classic computing experience is in figuring things out yourself. And as you do, you'll get a great understanding of how this all works. ADTpro is free, you just need the standard generic hardware connections, like serial cables, and serial ports or USB<->SERIAL adapters and stuff like that. Or do the audio thing. If you really wanna get into it then look at -- http://www.kryoflux.com/

If you just wanna play games and nothing else, then just get that emulator and download files from -- http://mirrors.apple2.org.za/ftp.apple.asimov.net/images/games/

This way you don't even need a real Apple //e, just emulate away! I often use the emulator to quickly help organize my disk images and to check versions of game cracks and such. Or if I wanna play games on da'bus or someplace.

As far as preserving things, that's really your call, not ours. I would simply save everything. We don't know what will be needed 20 years from now. It would be good to image the floppies then seal them up somehow. And work from disk images and copies you make yourself, more or less. Keep all the hardware unless it is absolute trashy trash.

from wiki -- Apple Computer's Super Serial Card, sometime abbreviated as "SSC", is the most well known of communication cards made for the Apple II. Apple called it "Super" because it was able to function as both of Apple's previous cards, the Apple II Communications Card for modem use and the Apple II Serial Interface Card for printer use. A jumper block was used to configure the card for each of the two modes. Naturally Apple upgraded the speed capabilities of the card to a maximum of 19,200 bit/s and made the card compatible with both ROM revisions of the Apple II Serial Interface Card. The card can actually run at 115,200 bit/s as well, using undocumented register settings; but speeds between 19,200 and 115,200 are not possible using this technique. The Super Serial Card was released in 1981 and utilizes the MOS Technology 6551 serial communications chip.

E x c i t i n g!! Ain't it?

Edited by Keatah

I just use a virtual machine.

When I was in HS, the only thing they offered was some sort of mathematical modeling in BASIC. And of course the data processing class where you learn what a disk and terminal are.

Regarding the cracked software, I think it is just natural and common sense. Cracked software is much better than protected commercial software It is much easier to keep a library of cracked warez than original disks. The cracked stuff can be copied and replaced in a matter of minutes without fussing with Locksmith or Echo and parameter tables and what not. It is easier to install and backup. ESPECIALLY TODAY, as yesterday you didn't really install anything with the Apple II, not much anyways.

Every single application on my PC, EVERY SINGLE ONE, is either FREEWARE or SHAREWARE or CRACKED COMMERCIAL. And I am picky about the software too. It must meet these requirements.

1- It must not be internet dependent, meaning it must not call home for verification or just getting basic help files online. I HATE that shit. Just give me a .PDF file to read. I don't want my stuff not working because it can't call home or something. I oftentimes use my system away from the 'net.

2- Updating it must happen at my command, no automatic updates. I don't want my existing features broken or modified in how they work.

3- I must be able to transfer the software from computer to computer if I need or want to. It must be transferable by common everyday means like a network, or USB jump drive (now there is a term still used today!!) Not for the purpose of giving it away and playing pirate, but for the practicality in restoring or rebuilding my computer. Last year I replaced a bad hard disk, and it was as simple as restoring a backup.

4- The software must not fill up my task manager with useless background processes, unless they are providing a specific service I want and need. No background licensing checks and that shit. I have only 20 or so processes running on an XP machine from 6 years ago, and it is rock solid.

5- It should un-install cleanly, though I am more lax with that aspect.

6- It must ABSOLUTELY NOT expire on a certain date, i.e. forced upgrades. I don't want to be left 'holding the bag' in a 'situation'. I need my software to work *NOW*.

7- It must install cleanly and not stomp all over my system. And using on-line installers/updaters (except 1 specific case because it is a manual procedure), is an absolute NO-NO!!

By following those general guidelines I have managed to keep ALL of my purchased commercial, and freeware software backed up and readily available should I upgrade or change hardware in a major manner. I started that practice back in the Apple ][+ days and it has served me well.

A simple way to test it is to imagine yourself as an IT systems admin on an interstellar voyage, and you need to ensure the software for day-to-day spacecraft operations is safeguarded, available, ready-to-go, and working. You are all self-contained and totally independent. And your software library must be available at all times. Now all communications with Earth have been cut off, and you need to re-build your computer from the ground up. You got spare hardware from ship's stores and manufacturing, so that is taken care of. Is your software library ready to go? Can you just copy and re-install everything?

There have been many-a-times I'd go buy some application or game or something, then immediately go online and download a cracked version and use that. Keeping the original safely stored away.

Having an Apple ][ when I was a toddler taught me a goldmine of info and "best practices" regarding information systems today! And the above stipulations are paramount!

I went through my games tonight. So many memories... I can pretty much remember when I got each of those disks, what I originally thought of the game, and if I beat it or not. The pirated disks were rather interesting, I had forgotten I had so many. The game that showed up most often on my pirated disks was One on One followed closely by Centipede, Frogger, and Dig Dug (or Dig Doug as was humorously written on my one of the disks by my dad). I have no idea why One on One was on so many disks, it was a rather uninteresting game save for the fact that you could break the glass and have the little janitor guy yell at you.

The most interesting thing I found on my disks is what appears to be a beta of The Incredible Hulk text adventure. The title screen says "Hulk title screen will go here" in large letters. The game itself is rather glitchy but I'm not sure if that's because it's a beta or a dodgy crack.

I got them all relabeled and organized, now I need to see what needs to be uploaded to Asimov.

Tempest

Here's more info for you to go over..

An excellent emulator for you to try stuff out on -- http://applewin.berlios.de/

A great tool for manipulating and checking disk images on the pc -- http://ciderpress.sourceforge.net/

A refresher on ADT audio xfer's, but this may already have been linked -- http://adtpro.sourceforge.net/connectionsaudio.html

Here is an auction listing from FLEAbay for a superserial card, it is a little high priced at 20.00 .. I've seen them sell for 15 sometimes -- eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1106266026631?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=110626602663&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

You can get the serial card manual here -- http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CCgQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhomepage.mac.com%2Fjorgechamorro%2Fa2things%2Fa2_Super_Serial_Card.pdf&rct=j&q=apple%20super%20serial%20card%20pdf&ei=kv0sTY_jDYyr8AbEzNSlCQ&usg=AFQjCNGhY1w52641mKcG6pOSjA0etqea4w&cad=rja

Here are the other auctions -- http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=9&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&icep_uq=super+serial+card&icep_sellerId=&icep_ex_kw=&icep_sortBy=12&icep_catId=&icep_minPrice=&icep_maxPrice=&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lgA

Thanks for those links, I'll try and have a flip through them.

Part of the classic computing experience is in figuring things out yourself. And as you do, you'll get a great understanding of how this all works.

Sounds like years of dedication is required. To be honest, this sort of practice likely would have been easier in the 80s when the modern computer (or perhaps mid to low range) would happen to be the Apple][. In those days you didn't have much else to learn about with computing, unless you hacked up your Atari game system. When the Apple][ was pretty much the only hobbyist "PC", it was real easy to get to know it inside and out. These days I have to juggle the understanding of lots of different technologies (my current knowledge of PeeCee stuff took years to really get a good grasp of). Trying to learn the entirety of how the Apple][ works is, to be honest, a little too much at this point. For right now, all I wanted to do was play some games on real Apple][ hardware, not learn how to program my own games. That aspect of ][ can wait. I'll probably pick through my docs gradually as I get settled into this //e.

I think my slight reluctance to dive head first into the seemingly endless ocean of Apple][ is largely due to the fact that I haven't even owned this ][ for much more than a week. The last time I used a real ][, I had no clue how the computer worked. All I knew was it played some really fun games (I.E. I was really little at the time).

If you just wanna play games and nothing else, then just get that emulator and download files from -- http://mirrors.apple2.org.za/ftp.apple.asimov.net/images/games/

This way you don't even need a real Apple //e, just emulate away! I often use the emulator to quickly help organize my disk images and to check versions of game cracks and such. Or if I wanna play games on da'bus or someplace.

One of the whole reasons I wanted this real Apple][ is because I was getting sick and tired of joystick emulation not working properly. Applewin is guilty of this too.

As far as preserving things, that's really your call, not ours. I would simply save everything. We don't know what will be needed 20 years from now. It would be good to image the floppies then seal them up somehow. And work from disk images and copies you make yourself, more or less. Keep all the hardware unless it is absolute trashy trash.

Thing is I would love to help in the intelligent and responsible quest of software preservation, but there's some things that would inhibit my ability to help.

1: My spare time is quite limited.

2: I don't have the ideal equipment for software preservation, nor the money to buy said equipment.

3: I don't even know if the majority of my Apple][ software is even worth preserving. My copy of Spy Hunter could be a needle in a hay stack for all I know.

I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but I really wasn't expecting to be making archival-grade diskette backups. I was mainly going to use this ][ to play games, including ones I downloaded and wrote to spare disks. That's why I was trying to set up a desk of sorts to make it easier to use like a *ahem*, computer.

from wiki -- Apple Computer's Super Serial Card, sometime abbreviated as "SSC", is the most well known of communication cards made for the Apple II. Apple called it "Super" because it was able to function as both of Apple's previous cards, the Apple II Communications Card for modem use and the Apple II Serial Interface Card for printer use. A jumper block was used to configure the card for each of the two modes. Naturally Apple upgraded the speed capabilities of the card to a maximum of 19,200 bit/s and made the card compatible with both ROM revisions of the Apple II Serial Interface Card. The card can actually run at 115,200 bit/s as well, using undocumented register settings; but speeds between 19,200 and 115,200 are not possible using this technique. The Super Serial Card was released in 1981 and utilizes the MOS Technology 6551 serial communications chip.

Wait, so does this mean my printer card is a SSC? Boy that would sure be nice! I even have this nice long serial extension cable. Only problem now is the lack of that wide serial plug to small serial plug cable.

E x c i t i n g!! Ain't it?

Yes, in fact. Quite exciting to voyage into unknown (at least to me) computer territory. I just think I'm going in too deep to soon. Better to go slow and not make my head spin on the way in.