#1 etschuetz OFFLINE  

etschuetz

Chopper Commander

• 197 posts
  • Kickin' it, Old school

Posted Mon Jan 3, 2011 2:33 PM

Ataroid at AppBrain
WiiMote Controller App at AppBrain

So, what is the point of posting those two links? Well I am not certain if the first app has ever been mentioned, but a new Emulator for the Android platform was released a couple months back. Ataroid. I recommend it to anyone with an Android phone. I have the Droid from Motorola and find it amazing. The second app link is for a WiiMote app. It lets you bluetooth a WiiMote to your phone....htc sense UI has an issue with it, but others don't seem to. I use it to use a Classic Controller Pro. It is AWESOME taking my Atari on the road with me.

Just thought I would through this out there. There is no 12 key pad support so far, so no Star Raiders.

#2 ls650 OFFLINE  

ls650

Quadrunner

• 5,237 posts
  • Atari rocks!

Posted Mon Jan 3, 2011 7:27 PM

I have installed it, along with some other emulators, on both my tablet and phone. The problem is that the touch screen controls just suck; you definitely want a real keyboard or a Wii remote.

#3 Brian O OFFLINE  

Brian O

Stargunner

• 1,470 posts
  • [THIS SPACE FOR RENT]

Posted Mon Jan 3, 2011 7:49 PM

I have installed it, along with some other emulators, on both my tablet and phone. The problem is that the touch screen controls just suck; you definitely want a real keyboard or a Wii remote.

Exactly. I can't get used to the touch screen controls, no matter how hard I try.

B

#4 Inky OFFLINE  

Inky

I'm going to try to come back and post here.

• 23,666 posts
  • Awkwardness personified

Posted Mon Jan 3, 2011 7:55 PM

Ataroid is a very good emu. I've tried one of the Wiimote apps, but it wants me to root my phone

#5 InfoMan OFFLINE  

InfoMan

Space Invader

• 45 posts

Posted Tue Jan 4, 2011 6:30 PM

I've tried Droid2600 and Droid800 on my T-Mobile G2, but both are completely unusable as far as I'm concerned due to UI issues. I suspect Ataroid has the same problem? And since I don't have a Wii, I guess that won't help me, either. :(

#6 TrekMD OFFLINE  

TrekMD

River Patroller

• 2,445 posts

Posted Tue Jan 4, 2011 7:21 PM

Thank you for posting this. I'll have to try it out once I get a Droid in the next month or so.

#7 trent OFFLINE  

trent

Chopper Commander

• 115 posts

Posted Tue Jan 4, 2011 8:35 PM

I am the guy who ported Droid800 and Droid2600 to Android. I have to agree, to a certain extent, that the experience isn't all that great. There's just not a lot you can do to make a touchscreen feel like the real deal - although I've recently tweaked paddle emulation on Droid2600 emulation so that movement follows your finger on the screen. Makes Kaboom pretty fun in IMO :-). If you try it out just remember to switch to "paddle" mode in the control panel. Anyone mention paddles to atariski btw?

On the other hand - I did these ports because I thought having an Atari in my pocket would be a fun novelty and (at the time) no one had done it yet.

#8 ls650 OFFLINE  

ls650

Quadrunner

• 5,237 posts
  • Atari rocks!

Posted Tue Jan 4, 2011 9:11 PM

I've often wondered why there are no cellphones with game-friendly Dpad and buttons.

#9 rockman_x_2002 OFFLINE  

rockman_x_2002

Stargunner

• 1,597 posts

Posted Tue Jan 4, 2011 10:10 PM

I've often wondered why there are no cellphones with game-friendly Dpad and buttons.

Supposedly Sony is working to remedy that with a gaming-based Android phone. That being said, I traded in my HTC Hero, which ran Ataroid decently but not enough to extensively enjoy it. In its place I have a Samsung Galaxy S phone, and it seems to run the emulator fine, and even the touchscreen controls are serviceable for the emulator.

Touchscreen controls are certainly lacking compared to physical push-button controls. Maybe Sony's phone will remedy some of that.

#10 Godzilla OFFLINE  

Godzilla

Quadrunner

• 6,773 posts

Posted Wed Jan 5, 2011 2:27 PM

when i saw this post title, i thought it was for an emulated android to connect to the atari to aid in playing androman on the moon :)

#11 Stephen OFFLINE  

Stephen

River Patroller

• 4,594 posts
  • A8 Gear Head

Posted Wed Jan 5, 2011 10:50 PM

I am the guy who ported Droid800 and Droid2600 to Android. I have to agree, to a certain extent, that the experience isn't all that great. There's just not a lot you can do to make a touchscreen feel like the real deal - although I've recently tweaked paddle emulation on Droid2600 emulation so that movement follows your finger on the screen. Makes Kaboom pretty fun in IMO :-). If you try it out just remember to switch to "paddle" mode in the control panel. Anyone mention paddles to atariski btw?

On the other hand - I did these ports because I thought having an Atari in my pocket would be a fun novelty and (at the time) no one had done it yet.

Oh no - did you get caught up in that $hit-storm of a thread? It took my several weeks but I did get the stubborn fool to admit paddles are good for Breakout :)

Nice work on the emulators BTW.

#12 trent OFFLINE  

trent

Chopper Commander

• 115 posts

Posted Wed Jan 5, 2011 11:03 PM

Oh no - did you get caught up in that $hit-storm of a thread? It took my several weeks but I did get the stubborn fool to admit paddles are good for Breakout :)

Nice work on the emulators BTW.

Oh man I thought I deleted that sentence before I posted - guess not :-)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users