IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

Can someone point me to Atari 8-bit related BBSs - telnet addresses - and if you run one please PM me with some background info etc.

Bonus points for anyone running a BBS with real Atari hardware. :D

Going to try Bobterm.

telnet://bfbbs.no-ip.com

Port 23

Brief History on website: bf.amfband.com

Sorry, mine runs on the emulator now - My Atari hardware is too precious to burn it up on a BBS when PC's are CHEAP!!!

• Like 1

Can someone point me to Atari 8-bit related BBSs - telnet addresses - and if you run one please PM me with some background info etc.

Going to try Bobterm.

Still running BBS Express Professional 5.0b, on real hardware (Atari 130XE, 320KB, BlackBox, 676MB SCSI, Serial<>telnet PC tool), but it isn't public. Apart from file-downloads/-uploads, it functions but the board itself is messy. It was partially dual-language (English/Dutch) but the transition to only English was never finished.

Going to try Bobterm.

Still running BBS Express Professional 5.0b, on real hardware (Atari 130XE, 320KB, BlackBox, 676MB SCSI, Serial<>telnet PC tool), but it isn't public. Apart from file-downloads/-uploads, it functions but the board itself is messy. It was partially dual-language (English/Dutch) but the transition to only English was never finished.

Glad you posted - I didn't want to mention it. Since Inside the 8-bit went down (Steve Carden's multi-node BBS, took major damage from a lightning strike), you have the only 8-bit(Atari) BBS running on real hardware that I am aware of.

• Like 2

Going to try Bobterm.

There is Darkforce BBS (darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org). It is ST based, but there is an A8 message base. This is the most active BBS that I am aware of.

P.S.

I highly recommend you try Ice-T XE, as it is ANSI capable and offers a nice fast 80 column driver. It also has a great 16kB screen buffer which uses SELECT and OPTION to scroll back if you miss text. It also supports X,Y,Z-modem downloads. Great bit of software.

• Like 1

I have an Atari 800 (sometimes 400 when I forget how much the keyboard hurts) :)

Like Bobterm, but I laplink the Atari to a PC to interpret the ANSI graphics. Made this video to show how:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fIFbLwarVs

Also I made a telnet list on the Prison Board BBS, which can be telneted or dialed into.

telnet://rdfig.net

972-329-0781

Get to the main menu, hit "X" for internet, and then "A" for Atari.

There are direct links to the Boot Factory, Mousenet, Thunderdome, The Grove (ST), and Darkforces (ST).

We used to have the Guild BBS (ST) recently but that seems to have disapoofed.

One thing I have yet to figure out are the alternates of the Boot Factory, like the Carina ran one. Perhaps Abdul can explain how to get to the other Atari BBS setups he has aside from the regular Boot Factory.

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 1

I highly recommend you try Ice-T XE, as it is ANSI capable and offers a nice fast 80 column driver. It also has a great 16kB screen buffer which uses SELECT and OPTION to scroll back if you miss text. It also supports X,Y,Z-modem downloads. Great bit of software.

Does Ice-T support ATASCII?

• Like 1

One thing I have yet to figure out are the alternates of the Boot Factory, like the Carina ran one. Perhaps Abdul can explain how to get to the other Atari BBS setups he has aside from the regular Boot Factory.

If you are referring to my test sites, they are generally not running. I only put them up for a few days at a time when I am testing things. I always announce that they are up in the message base #1 of the regular BBS (link below). The same URL applies to the test sites - they just run on different ports (usually 8888).

One of my dreams has been to run a BBS on real hardware either on an Atari or Apple II. However I think that the amount of people who would actually use such a BBS would be quite small compared to the time and hassle it would take to set it up so I never have. I may do an PC Doors based BBS some day though, those still seem to have a small (and ever shrinking) fan base.

Tempest

• Like 1

One of my dreams has been to run a BBS on real hardware either on an Atari or Apple II. However I think that the amount of people who would actually use such a BBS would be quite small compared to the time and hassle it would take to set it up so I never have. I may do an PC Doors based BBS some day though, those still seem to have a small (and ever shrinking) fan base.

Tempest

You have a valid point there. At DarkForce, we are still getting an average of 30-50 calls

a month, but its mostly from a dedicated, hardcore group of people who simply refuse to quit

calling. (this number spikes upwards whenever we give something away) :)

I am extremely thankful for them!

On the other hand, an absolutely all 8bit, software and hardware board, should, IMHO, attract

a dedicated following as well, since it seems that the 8bit community is more active in a lot

of areas.

• Like 1

I think it's great that you keep your BBS going for those few dedicated who still call. Of course once you have it all set up it's all maintenance which is much easier than starting from scratch.

Tempest

You betcha. I can't imagine writing all those script files now.

and thanks, btw! :)

One of my dreams has been to run a BBS on real hardware either on an Atari or Apple II.

So what kind of BBS software was there for the Apple? I remember a friend running one on a Apple 2 GS, but that might after been Apple 2 software.

After my fandom for TRON I am starting to wonder if I should get a Apple 3 (Flynn's computer).

Anyway, a Apple 2 BBS might be cool.

One of my dreams has been to run a BBS on real hardware either on an Atari or Apple II.

So what kind of BBS software was there for the Apple? I remember a friend running one on a Apple 2 GS, but that might after been Apple 2 software.

After my fandom for TRON I am starting to wonder if I should get a Apple 3 (Flynn's computer).

Anyway, a Apple 2 BBS might be cool.

I think the first one I ever logged into was called Skeleton Isle here in town and it was running on an Apple II. Keith Ledbetter was one of the sysops along with "The Skeleton". I think Keith may have written that software too. This was before Keith did anything on the Atari 8.

I remember it being a very cool "message only" (no file xfers) BBS.

I myselve, was the proud owner of the Dutch Atari Power BBS. In the 90s.

It ran on an Atari 130XE, 2 diskdrives, one original , one Happy enhanced. With a P:R connection and a 2400 baud modem.

I had low drivespace, and we were 100% demo coders BBS.

That was between 1993 and 1994

Oh, and i used ancient Atari software.

Hail hail, to the Atarians, from planet Atari, this is 2011, this is hardcore.

• Like 1

Hi, can someone point me to an ICE-T ATR?

I'm trying out Bobterm, but on a big screen the display isn't wonderful and login pages are zooming past .

It is weird having an 800XL alongside my netbook and being online with both - keep forgetting which one is running firefox :D

• 4 months later...

Here is the current BBS list as I have it so far. I know others are in the works, and some are working to come back up soon, but this is what I have at this time. Entries on BBSmates.com have been created for all but the Mousenet BBS, and I plan to make that one soon. Log on to BBSmates and support your favorite BBSs and join conversations from time to time in the message areas for each BBS!

Current Atari BBS list 2011

Boot factory telnet://bfbbs.dtdns.net

(Make sure to hit enter 3 times at start)

http://bbsmates.com/viewbbs.aspx?id=147035

Darkforces telnet://darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org

(Make sure to hit enter at the start)

http://bbsmates.com/viewbbs.aspx?id=148716

Electric Cafe telnet://thecafe.dtdns.net

http://bbsmates.com/viewbbs.aspx?id=149301

Grove BBS telnet://shadow.skeleton.org

http://bbsmates.com/viewbbs.aspx?id=149302

Mousenet telnet://atari-bbs.kicks-ass.net

Thunderdome telnet://thunderdome.homeip.net 471

http://bbsmates.com/viewbbs.aspx?id=149300

Here is the current BBS list as I have it so far. I know others are in the works, and some are working to come back up soon, but this is what I have at this time. Entries on BBSmates.com have been created for all but the Mousenet BBS, and I plan to make that one soon. Log on to BBSmates and support your favorite BBSs and join conversations from time to time in the message areas for each BBS!

Current Atari BBS list 2011

Boot factory telnet://bfbbs.dtdns.net

(Make sure to hit enter 3 times at start)

http://bbsmates.com/viewbbs.aspx?id=147035

Darkforces telnet://darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org

(Make sure to hit enter at the start)

http://bbsmates.com/viewbbs.aspx?id=148716

Electric Cafe telnet://thecafe.dtdns.net

http://bbsmates.com/viewbbs.aspx?id=149301

Grove BBS telnet://shadow.skeleton.org

http://bbsmates.com/viewbbs.aspx?id=149302

Mousenet telnet://atari-bbs.kicks-ass.net

Thunderdome telnet://thunderdome.homeip.net 471

http://bbsmates.com/viewbbs.aspx?id=149300

if i have time next week i try it on real atari