Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

803 replies to this topic

#801 Kirkman OFFLINE  

Kirkman

Star Raider

• 88 posts

Posted Sun Apr 9, 2017 5:56 AM

So just a little news.....

I finally got my feed for Usenet Newsgroups working on SFHQ... Getting them on the BBS will take a little time since my first group of packets was apparently a rescan and ended up sending me over 120mb of messages.... for only 5 groups.

Which brings me to the question... Obviously I won't keep the entire history on the BBS. (I haven't decided how many messages I'll keep... if you have thoughts... )  But would people like the history made available as a download? (Probably in a package with the LED editor so you can read it on an ST).

I wanted to ask because there are obviously many ways to read archived news groups and unless anyone is really interested, I wasn't going to bother (besides keeping it for myself).

Personally, I think the old games and the old messages are among the most valuable things on your system. I have actually scraped most/all the Fidonet subs from your board because I am pretty sure your cache is unique.

Obviously it may not hold an attraction for a lot of folks these days, but it is the one thing you have that nobody else has ... those messages.

#802 Tillek OFFLINE  

Tillek

Moonsweeper

• 482 posts

Posted Sun Apr 9, 2017 3:22 PM

Personally, I think the old games and the old messages are among the most valuable things on your system. I have actually scraped most/all the Fidonet subs from your board because I am pretty sure your cache is unique.

Obviously it may not hold an attraction for a lot of folks these days, but it is the one thing you have that nobody else has ... those messages.

True, but besides you and one other user, I don't think anyone's really taken any time to look at them... and I think when they see the 12000 messages, they get scared.

Probably need to do a tutorial on how to use the system........

Actually, I had a few people try some games last night.  Got slammed due to an Ars Technica article about an Apple II BBS that I'm hosting the fTelnet portal for (so many of the users found their way back to me).  Almost 20 new users since Saturday morning (and I doubt any will ever call back, but we'll see).  Sure did give my fTelnet proxy server a bit of a load test (3021 connections or attempts since yesterday morning).

Still kind of amazing how many old school BBSers from back in the day don't know we still exist.

#803 low.blow OFFLINE  

low.blow

Star Raider

• 71 posts

Posted Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:46 PM

Thank you for your help _The Doctor_. My apologies for taking so long to respond. I ended up picking up a Lantronix mss100 after seeing all the commotion in that other thread. It turns out that bobterm 1.22 works fine on the xep80 when I go through the mss100 (and atari 850). I was able to connect to a couple of bbs's without dropped/scrambled characters. I still want to go back and see if I can get the sio2pc working with the xep80 now that I know it should work, but I'll save that for a future project. Thanks again.

#804 Kyle22 OFFLINE  

Kyle22

River Patroller

• 2,764 posts

Posted Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:35 PM

If anyone wants to try, The Resistance! is VERY slowly taking shape at telnet://broadway1.lorexddns.net

There are some missing and screwed up files, I think.  I need better docs.  It hasn't crashed in a while from internet bots, so give it a try.

Please don't type 'W' for the call list.  It has something to do with a couple of files in the >PRO>DATA directory, but all it does is dump a bunch of code to the screen.  You can stop it (usually) with ^C, but it's safest not to do it.

Messaging seems to work now, but it has crashed in the past.  Please test it.  I'm gonna give new users access for now, because I have no content on there that anyone could damage.

All I ask is that you don't use offensive language.

Thanks, and come back to see the improvements.

Edit: I also set visitors to full, but of course not SysOp access.

Please behave yourselves.

:)

Hey, Make SURE to hit Return / Enter slowly several times as soon as it connects. All you will see is ATA (until I get it fixed.)

Edited by Kyle22, Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:42 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users