Photo

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

889 replies to this topic

#876 Kyle22 OFFLINE  

Kyle22

River Patroller

• 2,948 posts

Posted Mon Jul 3, 2017 7:56 PM

If you are trying to F with me, then that's not a good idea.

Your account has been restricted.

Edit: RESPOND: State your Innocence!  I am waiting.

Edited by Kyle22, Mon Jul 3, 2017 7:57 PM.

#877 Kyle22 OFFLINE  

Kyle22

River Patroller

• 2,948 posts

Posted Mon Jul 3, 2017 9:09 PM

I *Will* find out how this idiot is trying to crash me.

I have suspicions, but I won't say anything yet.

#878 Triads OFFLINE  

Triads

Moonsweeper

• 261 posts

Posted Thu Jul 6, 2017 5:35 PM

Anyone out there have Games created for Carina 1.0? I seem to be missing a disk with about 10 or more games..
TIA

#879 Triads OFFLINE  

Triads

Moonsweeper

• 261 posts

Posted Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:50 PM

Nobody out there has old Carina 1.0 games?

#880 MacRorie OFFLINE  

MacRorie

Dragonstomper

• 659 posts
  • No matter where you go, there you are.

Posted Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:35 AM

Folks,

I am at wit's end with the 8-bit BBS side.  I have spent the last 5 days and a total of at least 40 hours trying to get various hard drives and scenarios up and running.  I thought I had it last night (this morning) with an MIO//Seagate HDD/Adaptec 4000a//TCPIP Express.  I got all of the files transferred, all of the system setup.  DOS seemed stable.  Started the BBS and everything just went to the crapper.  The BBS crashed and, upon reboot, the DOS would not longer parse BAT files (which is kind of key) and then the BBS software would persistently refuse to see the SYSDATA file or it would see it and corrupt it.  It would randomly change the names of message bases, the message bases would get corrupted and require re-initializing.

So, it is either REAL DOS being corrupt (it works fine if I boot off of an APE ATR, though) or the HD being flaky (which is possible, but why would it work up and until I tried to boot the BBS) or the BBS being corrupted.  I have tried copying them over from the untouched sources I have all to no avail.  So, either I have missed something fundamental, or there is a ghost in my machine.

If ANYONE has ANY suggestions (and/or known good hardware for me to try), I am open to them.

Otherwise, who has suggestions for ST BBS software? OR a different (and stable A8 BBS that uses SpartaDOS)?  Preferably SDX (Like I remember PRO using back in the day)

/rant over.

The MIO is a 1M model.  Was UNUSED until I set it up for BBS.  The A8 is an 800XL with a VBXE set to RAMBO mode and a TKII installed.  Seagate is an ST-277

#881 AtariGeezer ONLINE  

AtariGeezer

River Patroller

• 2,446 posts

Posted Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:17 PM

Back in the late 80's,  I bought FoReM ST and BBS Express! ST and chose the later to run.  I even wrote a replacement File Transfer section for it plus the Message Renumber Utility which is now part of the package.  Never had any problems with the BBS crashing...

#882 MacRorie OFFLINE  

MacRorie

Dragonstomper

• 659 posts

Posted Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:15 PM

Back in the late 80's,  I bought FoReM ST and BBS Express! ST and chose the later to run.  I even wrote a replacement File Transfer section for it plus the Message Renumber Utility which is now part of the package.  Never had any problems with the BBS crashing...

Cool.  I will look for a copy of BBS Express ST. Got it. Let's see how this goes . . .

#883 DarkLord OFFLINE  

DarkLord

River Patroller

• 3,175 posts

Posted Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:25 PM

Cool.  I will look for a copy of BBS Express ST. Got it. Let's see how this goes . . .

I think there are several active/semi-active BBS Express! ST SysOps (myself included) still around

so if you have any questions or trouble feel free to ask away. You can also logon to my BBS to see some

of the things you can do with it...

#884 bf2k+ OFFLINE  

bf2k+

Stargunner

• 1,742 posts

Posted Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:45 PM

Otherwise, who has suggestions for ST BBS software? OR a different (and stable A8 BBS that uses SpartaDOS)?  Preferably SDX (Like I remember PRO using back in the day)

BBS Express PRO has NEVER run under SDX.  This could be your problem.   I run Pro v2.1a on SD 3.3.

#885 Kyle22 OFFLINE  

Kyle22

River Patroller

• 2,948 posts

Posted Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:41 PM

I sure wish it did. It would be so much easier to move files around with PCLink without having to reboot into SDX each time.

#886 MacRorie OFFLINE  

MacRorie

Dragonstomper

• 659 posts

Posted Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:54 AM

BBS Express PRO has NEVER run under SDX.  This could be your problem.   I run Pro v2.1a on SD 3.3.

I realize it does not run under SDX.  I was running it under RealDOS

#887 moonlight_mile OFFLINE  

moonlight_mile

Chopper Commander

• 120 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:01 AM

After a few weeks of work and a lot of help from a bunch of AtariAge members the Alcatraz bbs has been resurrected from the dead and is back open for business after a 28 year absence.

Telnet to:64.121.86.229
Port:9000
Thanks to the doctor, triad, atarigeezer and Mark LeAir!

send me feedback if you find any missing files.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3725.JPG

Edited by moonlight_mile, Yesterday, 10:07 AM.

#888 SumerNivek OFFLINE  

SumerNivek

Chopper Commander

• 197 posts

Posted Yesterday, 6:07 PM

After a few weeks of work and a lot of help from a bunch of AtariAge members the Alcatraz bbs has been resurrected from the dead and is back open for business after a 28 year absence.

Telnet to:64.121.86.229
Port:9000
Thanks to the doctor, triad, atarigeezer and Mark LeAir!

send me feedback if you find any missing files.

Hey Moonlight!   I have successfully telnetted to you via a Commodore 64 and using a WiModem (that Jim Drew created).  Looking forward to perusing the BBS this weekend!

EDIT: I thought my terminal was stuck, but I figured out what was going on.

Edited by SumerNivek, Yesterday, 6:08 PM.

#889 Tillek ONLINE  

Tillek

Dragonstomper

• 558 posts

Posted Yesterday, 8:02 PM

I assume you're already calling Particles! ?

#890 SumerNivek OFFLINE  

SumerNivek

Chopper Commander

• 197 posts

Posted Today, 3:59 AM

^ Yes, I have finally started calling Particles this week.  For months, my hangouts have been Borderline and Cottonwood ran by Balzabaar.  I finally branched out recently.  I haven't explored Particles too much, but I plan to this weekend!

2 user(s) are browsing this forum

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users