IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

Well not sure if its just me.. but I am not connecting to the Brewing academy.

James

For some reason I can't either.... Others (like John Polka) can, so I'm trusting JP and the SysOp that it's up.

How long has it been since you connected last? For me, it's been a long time since I was able to.

Well not sure if its just me.. but I am not connecting to the Brewing academy.

James

Actually, I just updated it to the IP address that he has on his ebay listings. I guess I forgot to save it when I changed it last night.

It still doesn't work for me, but if you didn't have that, go ahead and try it with that IP address.

For some reason I can't either.... Others (like John Polka) can, so I'm trusting JP and the SysOp that it's up.

How long has it been since you connected last? For me, it's been a long time since I was able to.

I was on it in Febuary, but I had to change the address from the numbered one you just found to the brewingacademy one.. thats why I figured it worked.

James

NOPE thats the really old one.

I have msged him.

James

BTW Tillek, how do I get on the Veterans Adven guild bbs.. as there is no registration?

I need to re-do that.... Just type in your desired alias and when it doesn't find you it should start the process. I need to re-do the prompt to reflect that.

I'll see if I can get it for you...

Also, I added MouseNet to the BBS list. If there are any systems missing, or any information incorrect, please let me know.

So Brewery was down for a bit.

Here is the correct information. -BBS (Telnet): bbs.thebrewingacademy.com (Port: 8888) // 76.14.174.25 (Port: 8888)

James

• Like 1

For those who use the Lantronix UDS-10 (or similar) devices that do no support DNS...

My BBS' current IP addresses are:

Basement BBS: 24.22.120.147 port 9000

Part-Time BBS: 24.22.120.147 port 8000

The DNS telnet addresses are in my signature file below.

I now include the BBS' IP addresses on their respective websites (also listed in my signature file below).

• Like 4

For those who use the Lantronix UDS-10 (or similar) devices that do no support DNS...

I now include the BBS' IP addresses on their respective websites (also listed in my signature file below).

I should have thought about this before.........

At any rate, I decided to update the BBS list at http://www.sfhqbbs.org/ataribbslist.php

Now you can choose between displaying domain names or IP addresses with the selector at the top. The IP's are resolved when the page loads, so it should have the up to the minute information for those with dynamic IP's.

Hope some of you find it useful.....

• Like 5

I should have thought about this before.........

At any rate, I decided to update the BBS list at http://www.sfhqbbs.org/ataribbslist.php

Now you can choose between displaying domain names or IP addresses with the selector at the top. The IP's are resolved when the page loads, so it should have the up to the minute information for those with dynamic IP's.

Hope some of you find it useful.....

I've been meaning to ask if you could add that functionality. Glad you are able to do it.

By the way, Alcatraz is back online.

-JP

• Like 1

I've been meaning to ask if you could add that functionality. Glad you are able to do it.

By the way, Alcatraz is back online.

-JP

Gotta love those psychic support tickets.....

And thanks for the update, I'll go ahead and change it now.

• Like 2

I am finally logging into some new BBSes. I have my Atari setup pretty much stabilized again, it's permanently tethered to my work laptop. It's my resolution to have much more Atari time this year. I'll be making accounts at both of your boards.

• Like 1

Mopar.. APE has a bug fix?? or Plato has a bugfix??

I have not tried it in a while and I cannot get ICET to load even.. Using sparta dos I cannot get APE to load the handler. I would like to know more about this.. as I was told plato could not run without a real 850.

James

Mopar.. APE has a bug fix?? or Plato has a bugfix??

I have not tried it in a while and I cannot get ICET to load even.. Using sparta dos I cannot get APE to load the handler. I would like to know more about this.. as I was told plato could not run without a real 850.

James

not exactly a bug, APE was modified to meter the serial data... technically APE was correct either way, but the extra step helps Plato greatly...that extra step is the equivalent to DTE that is providing a clock signal, this is called transmitter timing (TT) which is on pin 24 for transmitted data. Data is changed when the clock transitions from OFF to ON, and read during the ON to OFF transition. TT is used to overcome the issue where the serial transmission must traverse a cable of unknown length and delay, the clock is a bit out of the DTE after another unknown delay in the line, and returns it to the DCE over the same unknown cable delay. Since the relation between the transmitted bit and TT is fixed in the DTE design, and since both signals traverse the same cable length, using TT eliminates the issue. TT can be generated by looping ST back with an appropriate phase change to align it with the transmitted data and ST loop back to TT lets the DTE use the DCE as the frequency reference... this corrects the clock to data timing. This synchronous clocking is needed for certain protocols. Since we can not do this with emulated serial data in packets traversing the ethernet and the web, the only option is to meter the data for sensitive software and fake the clock so to speak. While most terminal will display the data with the burst that normally arrives, Plato can not handle the flood, it must be spoon fed the data at the expected uniform rate, otherwise it will lose data.

Baud is the symbol rate where as speed can be expressed in bits per second... they aren't exactly the same depending on the length of the symbols bits. This is a consideration many didn't understand back in the day and even far less consider today... the same sort of problem occurs when trying to explain what all the serial signals are as the names given to them are sometimes conflated with what a coder thinks it means as opposed to what and engineer defined it in his terminology.... this leads to people thinking ring mean a modems telephone was 'ringing' but that is not at all what the line was for... eventually modem manufacturers gave in and wired the auto answer led pulse to the ring indicate line, renamed it ring indicator and that was tied to an a machine that would monitor that line at the hardware level, that irq would be able to wake a sleeping machine (known as wake on ring)

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

I am finally logging into some new BBSes. I have my Atari setup pretty much stabilized again, it's permanently tethered to my work laptop. It's my resolution to have much more Atari time this year. I'll be making accounts at both of your boards.

I saw that you logged onto Part-Time and Alcatraz BBSs today. But I didn't see you on the Basement yet. Then again, today was one of the busiest days for the Basement since we returned in 2017. :) So, if you tried and couldn't get through, that was why. :)

Hmmm...was it just a coicindence that we had a busy day today, or do more people connect now that Tillek includes the IP addresses on his website? ;-)

Edited by JohnPolka
  • Like 2