IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

So far, lost a Mega STE, 42" TV, Roku box (the higher end one), the U-Verse gateway, the network switch is faulty (some bad ports), potentially damaged the MSS-100.

Not really sure how the other equipment survived (or if anything else fried that I haven't noticed yet). I'm hoping the SFHQ hard drive is ok, but until I get around to hooking it up to another system, I can't be sure.

I don't think SFHQ will be coming back unless I can somehow fix the MSTE.

The lightning strike actually blew the AT&T box cover off so hard that it flew across the driveway (about 6-7 yards) and broke a window in the building next door. (Fortunately, the landlord owns both).

Neighbor across the hall from me lost 2 TV's and her Spectrum box... neighbor upstairs lost a TV, her PC and her AT&T gateway too.

HOLY crap.. where do you live again?? is there something built or natural rock near that turns your place into a lighting rod?? thats messed up.. I have had power outs.. brown outs.. I have never lost any equipement in 40 years of owning computers to electrical damage. I love the fact that Southern Ontario is one of the most boring weather places on the planet. Boring is good. :)

Sorry for your luck. I personally really enjoyed SFHQ as you are aware.. Maybe the mega just blew the fuse in the PSU?? I would not call myself an expert. I do have 2 MSTEs .. I would also offer to run the BBS if you could image the drive - until you got your machine up and running.

Does homeowners insurance cover lighting where you are?? or is that so common that its not?

James

• Like 1

Found this on Ebay.. I have a UDS100 - I think that is for outgoing only correct?? I need an MSS-100 if I want to run a BBS??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lantronix-MSS100-External-Device-Server/183536439165

James

james, the uds is perfectly happy as device to accecpt calls only. It's not as flexible as an MSS which is more along the lines of a full serial console server.

The MSS 100 is very capable in that for calling out and receiving calls it has the most configurations and connect types. It resolves DNS names, so you can dial just like a browers using the ATDT MYFULL.BBS.IPNAME just like anything today.

Just remember the golden key almost none of the folks out there has wrapped their head around. To receive calls using the mss100 in dynamic mode (call and receive calls) you need to use the command ATC LOGOUT

that one command assure it will be ready to answer/operate with whatever configs you have set to receive calls. You can lock it in to receive only mode(remote) but loging in and making the change is too much for many folks.

The price of $20.00 shipping sounds fine.

james, the uds is perfectly happy as device to accecpt calls only. It's not as flexible as an MSS which is more along the lines of a full serial console server.

The MSS 100 is very capable in that for calling out and receiving calls it has the most configurations and connect types. It resolves DNS names, so you can dial just like a browers using the ATDT MYFULL.BBS.IPNAME just like anything today.

Just remember the golden key almost none of the folks out there has wrapped their head around. To receive calls using the mss100 in dynamic mode (call and receive calls) you need to use the command ATC LOGOUT

that one command assure it will be ready to answer/operate with whatever configs you have set to receive calls. You can lock it in to receive only mode(remote) but loging in and making the change is too much for many folks.

The price of $20.00 shipping sounds fine.

So your saying for what we do on Ataris - the UDS-100 will have enough config that I could use it to RECEIVE - OR to Call out (what I do now) but that it would not work as a full two way device?? Or just that the UDS cant resolve DNS?

James

Edited by Bikerbob

Too bad it still doesn't send people who try to connect when someone is already on a "busy" signal. :(

I used the MSS-100 for SFHQ because it is (was, I guess) on FidoNet and I needed the domain name resolution. For the Adventurer's Guild (the Carina one) I used a UDS-10 because I have no real need for DNS resolution.

• Like 1

the UDS 10 / 100 don't do DNS. meaning you have to know numerical IP adresses, the mss 100 takes names and reaches name servers that converts them making calling easier, the mss allows configuring the telnet protocol to connect to just about anything correctly allowing stripping of telnet padding and other such goodies. The UDS 10/100 is a pita to configure in such ways.

I use the UDS almost exclusively as a receive only device, and the mss I use both as a caller and receiver, if you want to have a networked BBS you want names resolved. ANY lantronix with DNS will be fine it that case.

If we want more callers and more networked BBS out there we really should only suggest devices that can do DNS and allows telnet/raw/padding strip modes.

That's what I've discoverd... no muss no fuss is the way to go.

Edited by _The Doctor__

the UDS 10 / 100 don't do DNS. meaning you have to know numerical IP adresses, the mss 100 takes names and reaches name servers that converts them making calling easier, the mss allows configuring the telnet protocol to connect to just about anything correctly allowing stripping of telnet padding and other such goodies. The UDS 10/100 is a pita to configure in such ways.

I use the UDS almost exclusively as a receive only device, and the mss I use both as a caller and receiver, if you want to have a networked BBS you want names resolved. ANY lantronix with DNS will be fine it that case.

If we want more callers and more networked BBS out there we really should only suggest devices that can do DNS and allows telnet/raw/padding strip modes.

That's what I've discoverd... no muss no fuss is the way to go.

That's why I put the IP addresses on the Atari BBS List. (It actually resolves them on each page load, not read from the database).

As far as more networked BBS's... I don't think we need that. That just encourages people to call fewer BBS's I think. I also don't really think that the IP issue is what is holding people back.

I think it's more a matter of getting people who participate in these discussions to actually call BBS's on a semi-regular basis, actively participate in discussions on those BBS's and not just talk about BBSing here.

In fact, I'd love to see all discussions on how to RUN a BBS actually take place on BBS's only so that in order to learn how to run one, you first need to learn how to call and post on one.

1*BGaAY623PBIUL5MQN3V8Jw.gif

The networked bases and file sigs are for areas not always possible of or not having a big enough following to survive on their own, by setting up niche bases the under served areas get to exist. They are also quite necessary for support of certain products and software.

The other areas that networked bases of that nature help is for sale/ wanted and help to fix a thing.

Many BBS that have had such sections survived much longer than the average bear in that sense. YMMV

Edited by _The Doctor__

Having run them since early 80's, and called them as well as networked them. and being successful at the time from the early 80's to 95-96 give or take, I don't feel anything said here should be precluded from discussion on a modern day BBS or on the forums. Posting in both serves a purpose. A very involved Sysop is essential to the success of a board. Once it takes off on a life of it's own, the sysop might back off, but if gone too long and not freshening the space up and doing maintenance it will entropy and die. If the system is not protected and maintained/backed up... hardware failure or acts of nature will kill it. I will be working towards fixing my old best fortress true sine UPS and other equipment.. before I take whatever I've been working on live. No fun to be had running or calling a BBS with issues / lock ups or failing hardware.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Is the Sysop for Mousenet on the board??

I love all the efforts people put in so that I can enjoy my computer.. but that software.. or the way it is setup is BRUTAL.

I have no interest in that BBS - just because of the amount of work to log on. Its an Atari 8-bit board on real hardware I think.. that will not allow SyncTerm on Atari mode to login. I can do 80col ansi colour. But even then the BBS is so far out of what other systems do that you really loose interest.

Anyone with the same experience? or different?? you can help me out?

James

Is the Sysop for Mousenet on the board??

I love all the efforts people put in so that I can enjoy my computer.. but that software.. or the way it is setup is BRUTAL.

I have no interest in that BBS - just because of the amount of work to log on. Its an Atari 8-bit board on real hardware I think.. that will not allow SyncTerm on Atari mode to login. I can do 80col ansi colour. But even then the BBS is so far out of what other systems do that you really loose interest.

Anyone with the same experience? or different?? you can help me out?

James

What problems are you having? I don't have any trouble logging into it.

He has two BBSs. One is running BBS Express and the other is running the full version of Oasis. I believe the Oasis BBS is run on an emulator and the BBS Express BBS is run on native hardware.

Looks like the Oasis BBS is the BBS that's on Tillek's BBS list.

The telnet address for the BBS Express BBS is bbs-mousenet.dynip.online port 23.

The telnet address for the Oasis BBS is bbs-mousenet.dynip.online port 8888.

His BBS Express BBS uses 80 column ATASCII.

By the way, the Oasis BBS is called the "Hawaii BBS" and "Mousenet" is the BBS Express BBS. I'll send Tillek the corrections for his BBS list.

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka

yes, use the xep 80 selection....on syncterm, works just fine for me as well

called both with real hardware, all of it works just fine including upload downloads.. I chose 4800 baud on my terminal, I used old bobterm, I used with an xep and without an xep... they work either way...

We will need more information about your setup....

I used syncterm1.1b on windows 7 and xp... atari screen mode, atari font set, just fine but 80 columns wraps around, then set xep80, perfect.

I used Atari 130XE with MIO and lantronix mss100 with old bobterm 1.20 and it worked, added XEP80 and it displayed and works fine

if you still have issues, let us know your hardware, software and settings.

Just about any windows box using syncterm needs to be set up as was stated above use f2 on your bbs selection and make sure ip address or name is in proper slot without port, then put the port # in the port slot, curser down to mode set atari, continue down until the last section scrolls up to set atari in the font as well

click the close on the edit window and click your bbs you just edited, betcha it works if windows fireware isn't blocking sync term

Edited by _The Doctor__

I thought I had it right but might have been backwards. I didn't list Hawaii because I tried connecting to it on multiple days and couldn't. The other one I could connect to and there was a third mentioned (name escapes me) but I couldn't connect to that and I just wrote it off as outdated information on the website.

But if you can connect to them, that's good enough for me.

I'm heading out on some errands here so I'll take care of it when I get back.

• Like 2

I thought I had it right but might have been backwards. I didn't list Hawaii because I tried connecting to it on multiple days and couldn't. The other one I could connect to and there was a third mentioned (name escapes me) but I couldn't connect to that and I just wrote it off as outdated information on the website.

But if you can connect to them, that's good enough for me.

I'm heading out on some errands here so I'll take care of it when I get back.

Yes, I was able to connect to both BBSs this morning. The third one was just experimental and is no longer up.

-JP

I can connect.. and the one I was "on" was the Hawaii board.. BRUTAL interface.. asking me for linefeeds.. then what type of translation.. but would only ever allow me to use 1 ansi. the menus.. everything.. I was like.. dammm.. cant be bothered.

As for the other I have not tried it yet.. I will give that one a go as well.

James

I can connect.. and the one I was "on" was the Hawaii board.. BRUTAL interface.. asking me for linefeeds.. then what type of translation.. but would only ever allow me to use 1 ansi. the menus.. everything.. I was like.. dammm.. cant be bothered.

As for the other I have not tried it yet.. I will give that one a go as well.

James

Maybe this video will help? Someone made a video of a session on the Hawaii BBS (see link below).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIgskYUx33Y

man I am trying and trying.. my point is.. the software is crap!.. I was trying not be blunt.. I know how to get on.. I DONT WANT TO!

james

Whoa there - BITD, Oasis was highly sought after. Back in '87 if I called into a BBS running Oasis rather than some other freeware, you knew you had hit the jackpot.

So far, lost a Mega STE, 42" TV, Roku box (the higher end one), the U-Verse gateway, the network switch is faulty (some bad ports), potentially damaged the MSS-100.

Not really sure how the other equipment survived (or if anything else fried that I haven't noticed yet). I'm hoping the SFHQ hard drive is ok, but until I get around to hooking it up to another system, I can't be sure.

I don't think SFHQ will be coming back unless I can somehow fix the MSTE.

Man, that sucks, Tillek. I hope you can resurrect SFHQ. You had lots of great historical messages on there, not to mention the games.

--Josh