IGNORED

Atari 2600 games with an ending

Atari_Falcon

Okay, to make clear, I meant "ending sequence" ;) Sure board and sports games end.

The reason behind this is that I want to show people that there are Atari 2600 titles which can compare with "modern" game concepts and are complex and not just simple versions of pong...

Solaris seems to be one of the most enhanced in this way. Imagine how disappointed I was with Xenophobe (I really love it anyway!) when I finished all space stations, what took a while and I was just presented the 1st one again. Maybe I am too young to understand these concepts... when I finally got my (own) Atari 2600 in 1990, most of my friends had a SEGA mastersystem, Atari ST or a c=64. And I wanted to have such games on my Atari and I am happy that I already found at least some games which are compareable in some ways, at least regarding gameplay...

To add one more: I think RAMPAGE has an ending, in my manual there's written that I have to destroy 89 cities... and believe me, I will find out ;)

• 9 years later...

Kind of cheating but Space Shuttle has an ending too if you successfully land. You get a ranking as part of it. :)

It's really about "adventure" style games though?

Of course - Adventure and Superman have endings. Superman even gives you a time so you can go for best time. Would have been nice if Adventure gave that. All about resources though - a count of the number of steps you took to beat Adventure would have been a nice feature but it would have used up valuable ROM and RAM to implement.

I always like the fact that many of activision's games ended at 1m points.

I'm sure Atari could have ended games if they felt the need - but I suppose they didn't want players to be limited - Breakout's old 2 wall limit meant the game had limited appeal once it was beaten -  bad in an arcade game or a home game back then - so coding for arcade games playing to infinity with score rollover was a design decision probably.

Edited by davyK

• 3 years later...

Sentinel, the light gun game released by Atari in 1991.  

I don't have have the necessary equipment to play it, but the manual says, "A single alien entity controls the other alien lords.  When you have destroyed the four worlds, the Sentinel will come face to face with this evil entity.  Defeat the final evil to complete your quest."  

Sentinel (en).pdf

Edited by Living Room Arcade

On 1/5/2011 at 12:32 PM, 4ever2600 said:

Once again Atari Falcon, like the post about 'best graphics', I have to suggest Tunnel Runner. Also has an ending as opposed to 'continue to you die or crash the program'. Great stuff! Can you tell I LOVE tunnel runner?

@4ever2600  About Tunnel Runner, are you sure it has an ending?  The manual says it goes on until you run out of lives.

Tunnel Runner (USA)-manual.pdf

On 1/5/2011 at 3:10 PM, raskar42 said:

flipping the game isn't the same as an ending is it?

Krull?

Personally, I look for games like Raiders of the Lost Ark, which ends when you find the Ark of the Covenant.  I don't include games like Krull and Jungle Hunt that start over again after you win.  

On 1/5/2011 at 10:24 AM, Atari_Falcon said:

Does Ghostbusters have an ending? On the Atari 800 XL it has...

I know I'm replying to a question from over 12 (!) years ago, but 2600 Ghostbusters does indeed have an ending. Just like the computer versions, if you sneak two of your three 'busters past Stay Puft, you get an image of them crossing the streams (signifying the defeat of Zuul), which completes the game. The screen isn't as elaborate as the 'big' versions of course, but it's certainly a welcome addition nevertheless. Screenshot_20231218-190152_Gallery.thumb.jpg.b3973fa2d73f3b62ae0e306de805efba.jpg

Also, while on the topic of 2600 games with endings, I'm continuously impressed with Superman not only having an ending, but also an intro. Pretty impressive for a 1979 game!

Edited by King Atari
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Lord Thag said:

The manual implies that Rescure Terra I ends when you reach Terra, but the later areas are so tough I'm not sure I've heard of anyone finishing it, especially due to it's rarity. Can anyone confirm?

@Lord Thag What a gem Rescue Terra I is!  I never knew about this game before.  A space mission with both top and side view shooting action.  And a two player cooperative gameplay?  This gem is one in a million for Atari 2600!  Thanks for mentioning it.  

14 hours ago, Living Room Arcade said:

@Lord Thag What a gem Rescue Terra I is!  I never knew about this game before.  A space mission with both top and side view shooting action.  And a two player cooperative gameplay?  This gem is one in a million for Atari 2600!  Thanks for mentioning it.  

It is. It was my personal holy grail cart for a couple of decades until I finally found a loose one for about $100 a few years ago. And it absolutely lived up to the expectations! An absolutely amazing, unique shooter with a fantastic difficulty curve and it's criminal so few got to play it. Thankfully, emulation allows that now.

The backstory makes it even more interesting. It was part of a conceived trilogy, the second game being Imagic's Laser Gates (originally Inner Space), which they bought and released when Venturevision tanked. The third one, Solar Defense is a lost prototype where you defended reactors while colonist supplied them with 'Zenbar crytsals'. I hope one day it will be found, as it was apparently complete enough to warrant a review by Tilt magazine in '83.

10 hours ago, thegoldenband said:

I savestated my way to the end of Rescue Terra I ages ago, just to sate my curiosity on the topic, and I can confirm that it ended. I don't remember an ending sequence; maybe it played a tune or had an Activision-style change to the score panel.

Thanks! I have intentionally avoided doing so as I love the game and want to legit beat it, but I may just do this to see what happens. Thanks for confirming.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2023 at 8:55 PM, Living Room Arcade said:

Oh!  Never mind.  I was thinking of a different game.  3D Ghost Attack.  

I see which one you mean now.  

Have you even gotten that game to work properly? When I start it, it just shows a ghost or something morphing.