IGNORED

Demo/unfinished versions of games found

clarkus

Hello all. First, please forgive me if I'm not following proper etiquette. I'm not only new to this forum, but to posting on forums in general.

That being said, I'm hoping some of you might be able to help me. I've rediscovered my stash of atari games from childhood. There are a few games i would love to know more about. I've got several "incomplete for demo only" copies of numerous Starpath tape games, including: Sword of Saros, Sweat, Survival Island, Rabbit Transit, Frogger, Party Mix, and a "Starpath Supercharger in-store demonstration unit". I also have two hand labeled cartridge games called Halloween. They appear to be slightly different versions of the same game. There are two plain labeled Telesys cartridge games with typed text that reads "TA#10-04 Ram-It" and "TA#10-05 Stargunner" they appear to be non-retail copies. Any info on these games would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

All valuable proto's.

Especially Sweat - The Decathlon Game and the two different versions of Halloween.

Excellent re-discovery, I would say.

Any pictures?

What exaclty are the differences between the two Halloween carts?

Here's more info:

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/2600software.htm

BTW: better move this thread to the Prototypes section:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/forum/36-prototypes/

Amazing how this stuff still pops up.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter
  • Like 1

The Halloween carts look like the last two pictures on this page, right?

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-halloween_14523.html

8)

I'll take some pictures as soon as I have the time to do it well. The two Halloween games are different that the one pictured, both have labels that have Halloween typed out on them. The cartridges are otherwise nondescript. Neither looks exactly like the one pictured (one has a lip or "handle" on the front). I'll have to find a way to hook up my old atari to refresh me memory as to how the games actually play and what, if any difference exists. I seem to remember that one of the games has slower music and one is more graphic (seem to remember decapitation/blood).

The Starpath demo tapes are generic looking black tapes that have typed labels on them that say, for example "SWEAT JUNE 15, 83 INCOMPLETE! FOR DEMO ONLY! COPYRIGHT 1983 STARPATH"

Thanks again for your help - I'll check out those links more closely!

Clark

• Like 2

The Halloween carts look like the last two pictures on this page, right?

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-halloween_14523.html

I'll take some pictures as soon as I have the time to do it well. The two Halloween games are different that the one pictured, both have labels that have Halloween typed out on them. The cartridges are otherwise nondescript. Neither looks exactly like the one pictured (one has a lip or "handle" on the front). I'll have to find a way to hook up my old atari to refresh me memory as to how the games actually play and what, if any difference exists. I seem to remember that one of the games has slower music and one is more graphic (seem to remember decapitation/blood).

The reason why Rom Hunter is asking is because both of the Wizard Video Games titles (Halloween and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre) were sold by an Ohio-based vendor called Pleasant Valley Video back in the late 80s through early 90s. The cartridges they sold were hand-labeled and were alleged to be unsold Wizard stock at the time, but today they are generally believed to simply be aftermarket bootlegs.

Based on your description, it sounds like your Halloween carts may actually be real prototypes.

There are two plain labeled Telesys cartridge games with typed text that reads "TA#10-04 Ram-It" and "TA#10-05 Stargunner" they appear to be non-retail copies. Any info on these games would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like real Telesys protos...

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/stargunner/stargunnerproto.htm

Here's the story behind the two Halloween cartridges I have. Back I. The early 80s, my father worked for a company called Neil Spencer and Associates in St. Louis, Missouri. I'm not exactly sure what you'd call this type of firm, but basically they were hired by electronics manufacturers to sell their goods to stores for sale to the public. Their largest client was Fisher audio, but for a short period of time they also worked with a few atari game manufacturers (or maybe it was even other middlemen, I'll have to do some research). My father got these games from his job and gave them to me. I've owned them the entire time since then.

That's actually the story behind all of the demo/unfinished games I have.

Edited by clarkus

I just looked at the Stargunner link. That is exactly like what both Ram it and Stargunner look like. Identical.

2nd thought, mine may not have the address under the company name. Have to check tonight.

Edited by clarkus

That Telesys Halloween cart is fascinating indeed.

I wonder what the link was.

These tapes sure look like preview tapes, since the date is the same on most of them.

Well, preview tapes of Sweat - The Decathlon Game, Survival Island and Sword of Saros would be great.

AFAIK these never showed up before.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Halloween in a Telesys cart? :ponder:

I wonder if the Starpath "demo" tapes are just the "preview" versions of the games that can be found on their regular release tapes. In any instance, still a very nice find!

Very very carefully, I slightly pulled on the lose Halloween label to find that it is in fact a Telesys cart (the logo is in the plastic handle). Wow! I've had these forever and as a kid I played the heck out of em and I never looked before today.