IGNORED

Atari ST1040F & SM125

awzylog

I recently saved an Atari 1040STF computer and an SM125 monitor from destruction at the tip. I do not know anything about the 1040STF, even though I have looked on the web sites. I keep coming across ST or STE. but not STF.

The SM125 has a lead coming out of it for connection to the computer, but this does not fit into the back of the 1040STF. Am I missing something.

Please help, complete novice.

The F in the designation is for a built in RF modulator so you could hook it up to a TV set. Which is good for you, since with on the SM125 you can only view hi-res B&W, now you can use a TV and the ST has a killer line of great games available, you can go to U of Mich FTP server and d/l tons of great stuff and the ST can use a standard joystick.

Curt

I recently saved an Atari 1040STF computer and an SM125 monitor from destruction at the tip. I do not know anything about the 1040STF, even though I have looked on the web sites. I keep coming across ST or STE. but not STF.  

The SM125 has a lead coming out of it for connection to the computer, but this does not fit into the back of the 1040STF. Am I missing something.

Please help, complete novice.

This is the model I have, it is the same computer as all those "ST's" you have been reading about on the net, the "f" is just a designation that it has the internal floppy drive instead of an external one like previous ST models. It is 100% compatible with other ST's. The STE you have seen referance to is a newer model that had a couple of improvements like another chip called the 'Blitter,' which can be installed in your STf, but also the STE had several other enhancements, the "e" stands for enhanced. You should be able to hook that B/W monitor up to the STf through the monitor port on the back, not sure why it wouldn't be the same plug...although I have the color sc1224 monitor, not the mono. Double check that the monitor port will not work, maybe your had the plug upside down? It should work. The screen will look similiar to a MAC computer, if you turn on the ST with the monitor connected, it will come up in 640x480 resolution, greyscale, with two disk drive icons in the upper left corner and a garbage can. If you see this, everything is working right.

The interesting thing though is the f designation on a 1040ST would be redundant, the standard 1040ST's onward came with a built in floppy already so it didn't really need the f. On the 520ST, I could see that as the original had the shallow case and no room for internal floppy or power supplies.

Curt

The interesting thing though is the f designation on a 1040ST would be redundant, the standard 1040ST's onward came with a built in floppy already so it didn't really need the f.    On the 520ST, I could see that as the original had the shallow case and no room for internal floppy or power supplies.

Curt

Although I'm not 100% sure, I'm almost positive that the original 1040ST's that came out in '85 are in the same case as the 520ST's and required an external floppy just like the smaller model. There were no 260ST's released in the U.S., just 520 and 1040 models. In Europe, I believe the 260 and 520 ST's were only released at first, with external floppies, and the 1040's didn't come around until '86 over there, at which time they had the internal floppies. I'm about 95% sure on this...I used to read everything about the ST's in the Atari magazines, even though all I could afford at the time was the 8-bit line...I had planned on getting an ST forever, and finally, 17 years later, I have one! :D :ponder: 17 years! :x I should have gotten one sooner...

Although I'm not 100% sure, I'm almost positive that the original 1040ST's that came out in '85 are in the same case as the 520ST's and required an external floppy just like the smaller model. There were no 260ST's released  in the U.S., just 520 and 1040 models. In Europe, I believe the 260 and 520 ST's were only released at first, with external floppies, and the 1040's didn't come around until '86 over there, at which time they had the internal floppies. I'm about 95% sure on this...I used to read everything about the ST's in the Atari magazines, even though all I could afford at the time was the 8-bit line...I had planned on getting an ST forever, and finally, 17 years later, I have one! :D  :ponder:  17 years! :x  I should have gotten one sooner...

Gunstar, did you ever saw, from real or in a photo, a 1040ST without floppy?

In europe, as you wrote, 1040 was available only in "STf form". But, surfing around the 'net, I never got infos or photo of a 1040 not "STf".

At Atari History:

http://209.122.187.156:8080/computers/16bi...its/1040st.html

there's a table that says "built in 3 1/2 microfloppy disk drive (1040ST)".

I'd like to discover if the 1040 was built also 'alone', maybe as a prototype

If you look further on the Atari Museum site you'll also see the original 85' CES demo 130ST, a 260ST, the 260STD (poor choice for an acronym "Sexually Transmitted Disease") and then you move to the 520ST, 1040ST (I've never seen a 1040ST in a 520ST case design), what I have seen and will see if I can put up onto the site is the 1040ST+ which has a built in 286 processor for IBM compatibility. Another funky proto never released...

All 1040ST's from the start had a builtin floppy AFAIK.

Curt