XM Status Page...

1274 replies to this topic

#1051 mimo OFFLINE  

mimo

Preppie!

• 6,777 posts
  • It's easy living in a bubble

Posted Sat Mar 3, 2012 8:43 AM

Nice, I hope that the H2 cart follows the XM quickly!!

#1052 Madaracs OFFLINE  

Madaracs

Dragonstomper

• 645 posts

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:15 PM

I'm about to build an XM in Minecraft.

#1053 FujiSkunk OFFLINE  

FujiSkunk

Quadrunner

• 5,906 posts
  • Behold the Fuji!

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:10 PM

Sega CD can play those. I used to have that demo disk that came with it that had a Chris Isaac track and Think About It by Information Society. It was such a neat feature.. I wish more cds had used it.

CD+G was wholly embraced by the karaoke industry, so there are a ton of karaoke CD+G's, if you really just want more discs to ooh and ahh over.

#1054 gorfcadet OFFLINE  

gorfcadet

Dragonstomper

• 938 posts

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:56 PM

Curt,
I just wanted to check with you on that Pole Position video... I know my PP/7800 will skip the level select if I use a controller with a screwy button, but I wanted to make sure it was your controller and not the XM that caused it. Can't wait to get my hands on the XM guys! Looks amazing!

#1055 GroovyBee OFFLINE  

GroovyBee

Games Developer

• 7,769 posts
  • Busy bee!

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:20 PM

I just wanted to check with you on that Pole Position video... I know my PP/7800 will skip the level select if I use a controller with a screwy button, but I wanted to make sure it was your controller and not the XM that caused it. Can't wait to get my hands on the XM guys! Looks amazing!

The XM does not interfere with any of the console buttons or joystick movements during normal game playing. All my XM mandatory games work as expected.

#1056 gorfcadet OFFLINE  

gorfcadet

Dragonstomper

• 938 posts

Posted Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:07 PM

Thanks GB. I worry about silly things.

#1057 GroovyBee OFFLINE  

GroovyBee

Games Developer

• 7,769 posts
  • Busy bee!

Posted Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:20 PM

Thanks GB. I worry about silly things.

No probs. I've had the XM running for hours doing all sorts of stuff and I've never seen it interfere with console buttons or sticks. If it did interfere it'd be a priority bug to investigate and get fixed.

#1058 Curt Vendel OFFLINE  

Curt Vendel

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,441 posts

Posted Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:06 AM

That was captured during an early rev of the BIOS when testing games, it would jump right to the game, it did the same thing with Joust and I think Dig Dug at the time. That's been refined substantially over the course of revs of the BIOS Mark has crafted for testing purposes.

These are good questions and worth asking, nothing silly about that at all, its good to know if your system will act normally and that an add-on is not going to alter or change the way a system normally functions, but only to add functionality to it transparently.

Curt

Curt,

#1059 Curt Vendel OFFLINE  

Curt Vendel

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,441 posts

Posted Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:10 AM

The 7800XM will be shown at the Midwest Gaming Classic:

http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/

Mark wants to change one last portion of my audio circuit as he's not totally in agreement with my design, so that looks like its about it, I think we're wrapping things up with the new 84 pin PLD revision, the new bus divider, reset circuit, improved layout.

Oh, I think we just need a basic SIO test in BIOS, I need to build a loopback plug for the SIO port....

Curt

#1060 Lendorien OFFLINE  

Lendorien

Stargunner

• 1,118 posts

Posted Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:55 PM

Well, I'll be there, so I'm looking forward to seeing it in action!

#1061 Curt Vendel OFFLINE  

Curt Vendel

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,441 posts

Posted Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:16 PM

We are just making final arrangements for a pair of heavily armed security guards (still trying to get the permits for their automatic weapons) to stand next to it and make sure no one tries to make off with it...

Actually there will be a couple of extra sets of cases on display , so that people can pick those up to look at them and also the original SLA crystal prototype case will be on display, sorry no its not available for sale, its been promised to someone already.

#1062 AtariBrian OFFLINE  

AtariBrian

Stargunner

• 1,833 posts

Posted Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:19 PM

maybe we will get to see some videos of games in action :grin: I wont be able to make it there

Edited by AtariBrian, Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:19 PM.

#1063 Gaztee OFFLINE  

Gaztee

Stargunner

• 1,194 posts

Posted Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:12 PM

maybe we will get to see some videos of games in action :grin: I wont be able to make it there

I'm sure Mark had some footage taken at e-jagfest last year of at least one game? I'm looking forward to an extended play session on it at the ac2012 meeting in Paris next month :0) Mark should be busy coding in the 24 hour coding comp, leaving me to hog the xm :)

#1064 Retro Rogue OFFLINE  

Retro Rogue

River Patroller

• 3,227 posts

Posted Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:37 PM

Should also add, it'll be on display as part of the Atari 40th Anniversary Party Area. We'll also be having several more events to celebrate the anniversary - live Skype talks with Ted Dabney and Howard Scott Warshaw, and a giant birthday card for attendees to sign that'll be given to original Atari employees at a private reunion gathering later this year:

http://www.midwestga...rshaw-To-Speak/

#1065 Curt Vendel OFFLINE  

Curt Vendel

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,441 posts

Posted Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:37 PM

There are several videos of the XM in action on the Status Page.

#1066 Trebor OFFLINE  

Trebor

River Patroller

• 2,602 posts

Posted Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:51 AM

My original Beef Drop (Pokey edition) is lost forever, and I just received my newly purchased Beef Drop VE. In light of this, I am curious if anyone has tested Beef Drop VE on the XM yet to ensure the game does output Pokey audio. I know it is listed as being the case, just wondering if it was tested with an actual cartridge in place.

Thanks.

P.S. I really miss my original Beef Drop cart, the TIA by comparison is pretty lousy. Even hits a 'scratchy' note every now and then.

Edited by Trebor, Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:56 AM.

#1067 GroovyBee OFFLINE  

GroovyBee

Games Developer

• 7,769 posts
  • Busy bee!

Posted Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:07 AM

I know it is listed as being the case, just wondering if it was tested with an actual cartridge in place.

I haven't tested the cart directly but I have tested the last publicly available Beef Drop ROM image via CC2 and it sounds like its working OK.

#1068 GroovyBee OFFLINE  

GroovyBee

Games Developer

• 7,769 posts
  • Busy bee!

Posted Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:15 AM

As part of signing the XM off I'll be checking that both Beef Drop and Froggie (the only XBOARD compatible games I'm aware of) can both detect and play music on the XM's POKEY. Curt and I will be checking that our legacy NTSC and PAL game carts work as well as the system's homebrews.

#1069 Trebor OFFLINE  

Trebor

River Patroller

• 2,602 posts

Posted Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:44 AM

Very cool...Thanks for the info, GroovyBee.

#1070 Curt Vendel OFFLINE  

Curt Vendel

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,441 posts

Posted Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:48 PM

Arrrghhh !!! Well, the XM's appearance at Midwest Gaming Classic will not happen, seems the unit that I shipped to Marty got manhandled and is beaten up and not working, so unfortunately its not going to be shown at the show, however an announcement is still going to be made in regards to the XM and a new Venture at the show on Saturday....

#1071 GroovyBee OFFLINE  

GroovyBee

Games Developer

• 7,769 posts
  • Busy bee!

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:00 AM

Arrrghhh !!! Well, the XM's appearance at Midwest Gaming Classic will not happen, seems the unit that I shipped to Marty got manhandled and is beaten up and not working, so unfortunately its not going to be shown at the show

Not good news :(.

#1072 GroovyBee OFFLINE  

GroovyBee

Games Developer

• 7,769 posts
  • Busy bee!

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:08 AM

Very cool...Thanks for the info, GroovyBee.

No problem. We'll also release some tables listing what games have been tested, their region and in what form e.g cart or CC2.

#1073 Allan ONLINE  

Allan

Quadrunner

• 5,287 posts

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:10 AM

When you guys are done you can write a book about the trials and tribulations of making the XM.

Sorry to hear about the bads news.

Allan

#1074 GroovyBee OFFLINE  

GroovyBee

Games Developer

• 7,769 posts
  • Busy bee!

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:47 PM

When you guys are done you can write a book about the trials and tribulations of making the XM.

Personally I don't think it'd make interesting reading. It'd just be a digest of 100s of mainly technical emails which would make it a very dry read indeed.

#1075 DracIsBack OFFLINE  

DracIsBack

River Patroller

• 4,538 posts

Posted Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:22 AM

Maybe a blog touching on the end to end history. Curt's XM status page has it, but doesn't start at the beginning.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users